Chief Cat Herder
Staff member
Yearly GoldMember
Local time
3:27 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Never really did much accounting, it was too boring, mostly focused on Auditing (over 30 years and retired as a NYS Audit Manager and Certified Fraud Examiner) and Tax Prep.

Always enjoyed the challenge of trying to catch those who are cheating you, and I found millions almost every year. New Yorkers still save money every year based on one of my audits, which resulted in changes to Medicaid billing to reduce fraud. I found a large fraud that the Medicaid Fraud Auditors missed. Actually, I did that several times.

The rank and file Medicaid Auditors actually requested that I provide them with training … but the upper Management despised me and would not hear of it. Such is how Gov works (or not). However, when they went to court to obtain felony fraud convictions, it was with the information I identified.

Most of the larger audits were in NYC, and commuting 2 hrs each way every day (stuck in traffic) stopped being fun and I retired from NYS while still 55.

Thank you. I hate thieves. What you were uncovering was theft, pure and simple.

Your bullheadedness most likely helped you follow the evidence.

jacob j.

Lord of Cargo Pants
GoldMember
Local time
1:27 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Never really did much accounting, it was too boring, mostly focused on Auditing (over 30 years and retired as a NYS Audit Manager and Certified Fraud Examiner) and Tax Prep.

Always enjoyed the challenge of trying to catch those who are cheating you, and I found millions almost every year. New Yorkers still save money every year based on one of my audits, which resulted in changes to Medicaid billing to reduce fraud. I found a large fraud that the Medicaid Fraud Auditors missed. Actually, I did that several times.

The rank and file Medicaid Auditors actually requested that I provide them with training … but the upper Management despised me and would not hear of it. Such is how Gov works (or not). However, when they went to court to obtain felony fraud convictions, it was with the information I identified.

Most of the larger audits were in NYC, and commuting 2 hrs each way every day (stuck in traffic) stopped being fun and I retired from NYS while still 55.

I think it was in 2003 that a team of Russian doctors came over and set up shop here primarily to commit Medicaid fraud. One of them set up in Eugene, Oregon about two hours from where I'm at now. By the time
the government caught up with him, he'd raked in about $7m in fraudulent billings. Of course it didn't really make the news because the government wanted to keep it hush-hush. One of the investigators told a
former co-worker of mine that they only really catch about 20% of the fraud that goes on.

MustangMike

Mastermind Approved!
Local time
4:27 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Thanks for the info, but that does not seem plausible. S/B close to 14.75 lbs dry weight, 13 lbs +/- is 60 cc saw weight range (or the new 462).

MustangMike

Mastermind Approved!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I think it was in 2003 that a team of Russian doctors came over and set up shop here primarily to commit Medicaid fraud.

One of my last audits involved "Russian Medicaid Fraud".

They were teaching immigrants how to speak English and billing it a Mental Health services. Total Medicaid billing was over $20 million/yr, most of it Fraudulent (in Brooklyn NY). In addition to dealing with the language differences, they told the recipients that they could not be deported because they could give them a Mental Health exemption!

A decade earlier I had found the same place illegally billing for services to Nursing Home patients. After the second fraud was identified they closed the place down.

Medicaid Fraud Control subpoenaed all the financial records and assigned 6 individuals full time for 3 months to determine where the money went, and they came up with $0.-!!!

So my boss sent me in alone, for two weeks, and I worked off a Bank Statement (there were no financial records available) and computerized financial records and identified almost $20 million/year of fraudulent payments to phony vendors (in each of the 3 most recent years).

Medicaid Fraud control used my work to obtain Felony Fraud convictions.

Mastermind

Chief Cat Herder
Staff member
Yearly GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
One of my last audits involved "Russian Medicaid Fraud".

They were teaching immigrants how to speak English and billing it a Mental Health services. Total Medicaid billing was over $20 million/yr, most of it Fraudulent (in Brooklyn NY). In addition to dealing with the language differences, they told the recipients that they could not be deported because they could give them a Mental Health exemption!

A decade earlier I had found the same place illegally billing for services to Nursing Home patients. After the second fraud was identified they closed the place down.

Medicaid Fraud Control subpoenaed all the financial records and assigned 6 individuals full time for 3 months to determine where the money went, and they came up with $0.-!!!

So my boss sent me in alone, for two weeks, and I worked off a Bank Statement (there were no financial records available) and computerized financial records and identified almost $20 million/year of fraudulent payments to phony vendors (in each of the 3 most recent years).

Medicaid Fraud control used my work to obtain Felony Fraud convictions.

So....how many individuals went to prison?

None I'd bet. White collar crime is a very low risk profession.

jacob j.

Lord of Cargo Pants
GoldMember
Local time
1:27 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag

Same thing happened here - the local guy had a number of shell companies set-up to receive payments and he had family members set-up phony clinics that only existed on paper. They were able to trace where most of the $7m
went but recovered very little of it.

So....how many individuals went to prison?

None I'd bet. White collar crime is a very low risk profession.

The guy here didn't go to prison for the Medicaid fraud but he did go to prison for practicing medicine without a license and he was doing surgery without any credentials. He served just over
three years and they deported him. Even for the time he served though he bilked the taxpayers out of a lot of money.

MustangMike

Mastermind Approved!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
You are correct, I was furious, they did not even get restitution, but at least they closed the place down!

Me: "How much restitution did we get with the convictions"

Med Fraud Control: "None".

Me: "Why not"?

Med Fraud Control: "We called them at their summer house in the Caribbean and they told us they had no assets"!

You can't make this stuff up, I can't tell you how frustrating is was being forced to deal with these incompetent buffoons'!

When it was not Medicaid Fraud, I was able to go to the DA's office myself and get convictions and restitution. I even got a conviction and restitution in the South Bronx, which no one thought was possible! Also got a conviction and restitution against a Priest on Long Island. He had a drug problem.

I was the one they sent to the "problem agencies". I worked as far West as Niagara Falls, as far North as Glen's Falls, and as far East as Riverhead, LI, but most of the bad players were in NYC.

Mastermind

Chief Cat Herder
Staff member
Yearly GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Nah, lots of rich folk get away with all kinds of chit. Dont help having a sheet.

If you can afford a good lawyer, you can literally get away with anything in this country. Just keep appealing all the way to the Supreme Court. That, and a few well placed "donations" to the correct people....and voila, the charges just disappear.