It's MS461 Time In Tennessee

RI Chevy

Mastermind Approved!
Local time
6:28 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I wonder how an HD carb with slightly bigger main jet would run? More power?
4a8da577de4e9192fd37a4ab7db96acc.jpg

MustangMike

Mastermind Approved!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Jeff, the jets can be changed, and I think Randy says he drills them, but the internal circuitry is supposed to be different with the HD-50.

But, I don't know the details, maybe someone with more knowledge about it can help out here.

RI Chevy

Mastermind Approved!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Just matters on how big they are drilled.
I still test the old fashioned way. Part replacement then put the saw in wood and see. Lol

MustangMike

Mastermind Approved!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I'll just bow out.

You fellers have fun with it.

Come on Randy, don't get sore, play the saw game.

Do you notice any differences in how HD-50 carbs perform, and have you ever switched carbs between a 460 and 461?

RI Chevy

Mastermind Approved!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Nice Dan. Did you notice the power increase?

SOS Ridgerider

Muffler Modded Member
Staff member
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Boys, let's refrain from the political and religious stuff. That goes for every thread. It has absolutely no place on an OPE forum. If you like to mix chainsaws and mowers with politics and religion I know another site has a big section for it. I'll go in and delete all the political posts in this thread, no matter who posted it. Keep this in mind for other threads, so none of the mods have to come clean up after you. After all, and to the best of my knowledge, your mom is not a mod here.

huskihl

Muh fingers look really big
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Jeff, the jets can be changed, and I think Randy says he drills them, but the internal circuitry is supposed to be different with the HD-50.

But, I don't know the details, maybe someone with more knowledge about it can help out here.
The hd50 has a main jet that delivers x amount of fuel at wfo regardless of the H screw setting. The H screw just adds a small amount of fuel to fine tune the high side. They deliver added fuel as soon as the jet is cracked open out to about 4 turns out. Drill the main jet too big and the saw will always 4 stroke even with the screws in tight. Drilling the jet or replacing it won’t give more power, it just gets you back inside the tuning range of the h screw, like somewhere between the preferred 1 and 2 turns out.

To get more power or rpm you’d need more air, as in bigger venturi in the carb. Or create a controlled air leak somewhere if the carb can deliver enough fuel to support it