Chief Cat Herder
Staff member
Yearly GoldMember
Local time
5:11 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Is it beneficial to keep port timing with a pop up but its more work? Or is the changed port timing from milling the cylinder not noticable?

Many times I'm looking for a lower than factory exhaust duration. I realized how much that can help certain saws years ago by reading stuff that my peers had written. So, over the years I've tried this approach on a great many different saws with good results. For instance, on the 461, I use 105 on the exhaust port. 103 is the factory opening point. That's not possible with a popup.

pwheel

Finis Origine Pendet
Local time
6:11 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Bring back the 044/ms440
The ms461 introduced improvements such as: no sleeve on the pto side of the crank, the oil pump design eliminates the tube which is a pta to service, the shroud connectors are less prone to stripping, and the baffle inside the air filter is a better design than the foam insert. Still keeping my ms440's, though.

Mastermind

Chief Cat Herder
Staff member
Yearly GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Another thing to consider with a cut squish VS a popup.....

The squish band is a cast surface from the factory. The clearance varies.

Once it is cut, you have a machined surface facing another machined surface, so the clearance can be set tighter, and squish velocity is increased.

Does this matter in overall power? I'm not sure. I do believe it helps quell detonation.

Nutball

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
How many cylinders per alumihog burr? At the rate it sounds, do you save them and sell them as scrap or send in for bulk resharpening after a year or few? Both options would seem money saving/profitable in my opinion if you go through a ton.

Also, do they last suck a short while because you cut the cylinder plating with them? I just can't bring myself to cut the plating with carbide unless I have a starting point and cut from under it. Otherwise 8 use diamond burrs, then my carbide last a long time.

Ive also had a hog burr go dull really fast on plywood, and it was new too. That or they didn't send me a sharp one.

Mastermind

Chief Cat Herder
Staff member
Yearly GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
How many cylinders per alumihog burr? At the rate it sounds, do you save them and sell them as scrap or send in for bulk resharpening after a year or few? Both options would seem money saving/profitable in my opinion if you go through a ton.

Also, do they last suck a short while because you cut the cylinder plating with them? I just can't bring myself to cut the plating with carbide unless I have a starting point and cut from under it. Otherwise 8 use diamond burrs, then my carbide last a long time.

Ive also had a hog burr go dull really fast on plywood, and it was new too. That or they didn't send me a sharp one.

6 - 8 jugs probably. Once they get a little dull, I use them for the uppers. That gets me a few more days worth from them. Then I use them on mufflers. After a few mufflers......they ain't worth anything. LOL

kneedeepinsaws

Pinnacle OPE Member
GoldMember
Local time
4:11 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Many times I'm looking for a lower than factory exhaust duration. I realized how much that can help certain saws years ago by reading stuff that my peers had written. So, over the years I've tried this approach on a great many different saws with good results. For instance, on the 461, I use 105 on the exhaust port. 103 is the factory opening point. That's not possible with a popup.
Thank you for explaining that!

Mastermind

Chief Cat Herder
Staff member
Yearly GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag

Mastermind

Chief Cat Herder
Staff member
Yearly GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Lol. At least there ms461s only problem is by the time you get finished with all of them you probably won't want to see another one for a while.:eyepop:

Found another one after I took that picture. Ended up with 9. I'm still working on the machining.

Deets066

AKA Deetsey
Local time
6:11 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
You must have changed recipes? I believe the one you did for me is 102