Chief Cat Herder
Staff member
GoldMember
Local time
1:41 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Well, rings don’t hang for no reason. There’s a fine line there where roof arch, width, and bevel are all factors.

All of that is why I have no desire to build the fastest saws. Over the years I've found that line.....crossed it, and backed away from it. I just wanna give a man a good honest gain, and a saw that will last. Evidently that's a working business model.....I'm over 50 saws behind right now.

Mastermind

Chief Cat Herder
Staff member
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
So......the port work is now roughed in on these 6 395 jugs. Working on tightening the corners, and getting a good finish now.

I went for a coronavirus test yesterday. I was a little too close to someone who has it.......and felt like it was a good idea to be tested. I've been feeling crummy for a few days, but I think it's just allergies.

I won't have the test results till Tuesday, so I'm sorta trying to avoid getting near people. That ain't easy with my big family.

TreeLife

I'm Dominick
GoldMember
Local time
2:41 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
All of that is why I have no desire to build the fastest saws. Over the years I've found that line.....crossed it, and backed away from it. I just wanna give a man a good honest gain, and a saw that will last. Evidently that's a working business model.....I'm over 50 saws behind right now.
I knew the risks when I handed him the saw and said "I want it all"

Mastermind

Chief Cat Herder
Staff member
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I knew the risks when I handed him the saw and said "I want it all"

I know......you're one of the good ones. But.....even if a customer asks for "it all" I still will only go so far. If they want a race saw.....I'm not that guy. Having anything come back busted is a pain in the ass.

huskyboy

Sorta a husqvarna guy...
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Randy your saws might not be the fastest saws in the world or the most HP on a dyno. But every one of them I have ran to this point starts....... and runs reliably with good torque. They put wood on the ground and a check in your hands at the end of the week. Your saws and portwork are what I judge others by and my own work honestly. I know others do too. They are one of the standards out there really.

TreeLife

I'm Dominick
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I know......you're one of the good ones. But.....even if a customer asks for "it all" I still will only go so far. If they want a race saw.....I'm not that guy. Having anything come back busted is a pain in the ass.
And thats super fair and your prerogative. I love my 395 PLENTY. Always starts, runs, and does what I want it to do with aplomb.

Lee H

Here For The Long Haul!
GoldMember
Local time
11:41 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag

Remember Randy, Anything RACE has no warranty even from new. I do agree with your philosophy as to
stay away from those. far less aggravation. You did my 3120 as i wanted and you gave me exactly what i expected,
Although i don't have much time on it, It runs super strong and will never leave my hands.

TreeLife

I'm Dominick
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Remember Randy, Anything RACE has no warranty even from new. I do agree with your philosophy as to
stay away from those. far less aggravation. You did my 3120 as i wanted and you gave me exactly what i expected,
Although i don't have much time on it, It runs super strong and will never leave my hands.
I feel as long as an agreement is made between gentlemen and its honored, all is well.

Mastermind

Chief Cat Herder
Staff member
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I feel as long as an agreement is made between gentlemen and its honored, all is well.

That's exactly right.

I'm not saying anything bad about Jay, nor you Dom. All I'm getting at is that anytime you attempt to skate on the edge, you are in danger of slipping over. When that happens, it becomes a pain in the ass.

For me, I just am not willing to get so close that return work takes time away from the work I need to get done.

TreeLife

I'm Dominick
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
That's exactly right.

I'm not saying anything bad about Jay, nor you Dom. All I'm getting at is that anytime you attempt to skate on the edge, you are in danger of slipping over. When that happens, it becomes a pain in the ass.

For me, I just am not willing to get so close that return work takes time away from the work I need to get done.
Absolutely, I understood you sir :cool:

drf256

Dr. Richard Cranium
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Once you take money for porting, you’d better be ready to pony up when the bad stuff happens, and it will.

Fastest ain’t always the best in worksaws. Reliability, starting, and fuel consumption play a big role too.

Most of what I’ve learned about the hobby was from Randy, who generously shared info with myself and others here.

A saw that’s always on the bench, broken, won’t start, or being refueled more often ain’t gonna cut much wood.

Just my $.02

TreeLife

I'm Dominick
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Once you take money for porting, you’d better be ready to pony up when the bad stuff happens, and it will.

Fastest ain’t always the best in worksaws. Reliability, starting, and fuel consumption play a big role too.

Most of what I’ve learned about the hobby was from Randy, who generously shared info with myself and others here.

A saw that’s always on the bench, broken, won’t start, or being refueled more often ain’t gonna cut much wood.

Just my $.02
I agree with all those things. Im a big fan of a saw that starts properly and has good fuel efficiency. If i have to pull on the saw alot or restart it constantly...im gonna throw it.

That being said, we won't have problems with that here. Great builders, great results, good communication.

Mastermind

Chief Cat Herder
Staff member
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I agree with all those things. Im a big fan of a saw that starts properly and has good fuel efficiency. If i have to pull on the saw alot or restart it constantly...im gonna throw it.

That being said, we won't have problems with that here. Great builders, great results, good communication.

What are you and Jay doing about this Dom? Who's paying for the parts?