Inside the.....? (solved, MS 500i)

Jimmy in NC

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
11:22 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Thanks for clarifying, is there any recommendations on oil ratio? I know most run 40:1 w mtronic and autotune saws, does the fuel injection change any of this?I giess biggest worry is viscosity.
My guys ran a TS500i for 3 years no issue with concrete crew fuel mixing.. aka...little of this...some of that. The computer adjusts fine.

Jimmy in NC

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I was told they wanted to make it so tank was able to be removed in less than 3 minutes because of the bear it was to access the injector on the TS units. Sounds like they want serviceability to be an improvement across the spectrum with the recent changes in the FS/KM/BR units as well as the new saws.
Taking an injector out of a TS is one step from splitting the cases. Its a royal pain.

Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
My guys ran a TS500i for 3 years no issue with concrete crew fuel mixing.. aka...little of this...some of that. The computer adjusts fine.

Everyone I talked to either LOVE the TS500i or DESPISE it. No real fence straddlers. Looks like it will be the same with the MS500i. How do they like that TS500i?

Jimmy in NC

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Everyone I talked to either LOVE the TS500i or DESPISE it. No real fence straddlers. Looks like it will be the same with the MS500i. How do they like that TS500i?
They loved it. I put a top end on it at one point. Strongest cut off saw I've run. Dealer support local was complete crap. Finally developed an hard.start issue and they diagnosed by quoting a complete replacement of ALL fuel components including the computer for $1500. We are back to TS420s now...

MG porting

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
8:22 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
A better comparison would be the 462 and yes I said I would take a 44 over a 462 and I still have my 44's. I can even get a 462 for a very reasonable price after I write it off on my company but I am still holding on to my 44's and I know you are just funnin'.;)
Yea the 044 is one that is hard to beat well there is the 064 to.lol:beer-toast1:

Hinerman

Mastermind Approved!
GoldMember
Local time
10:22 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Kind of sad, but the 500i is not impressing me much...
I was expecting much more.

I agree...I expected more from a fuel injected 80cc saw, even a stock one.

I am very impressed with it, looking at the inside and what can be done, there is a lot to be gained.

The intake is a straight shot, and past the single throttle plate a long tract to build velocity. If you went all out on mods, I think this saw will shock

I have to add, tuning, that is gonna be the hard part if you get outside the stock capabilities.

This is RI Chevy's point. If it needs to modified, how impressive can it really be in stock form.

I think the 500i will come to life after some port work like all Saw's so I'm not going to pass judgement until that part gets done then put it up against the other modified Saws again and I think it will be a different outcome.:beer-toast1:

You just proved RI Chevy's point...the stock 500i is not impressive from what I have seen either.

Now, after "all out mods" and "some port work", it may be the animal we are all wanting and expecting. I will wait to pass judgment on that decision.

Evansaw

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
6:22 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Jug looks like a 461/661 that starved the secondary transfers to me. Maybe not but who knows.

Yep, design same as that series which is good for porting bad for filtration

I know I’ve said this before but I’m sure the 500i was an on purpose chainsaw test bed, smaller number of saws to take care of for warranty if a large issue showed up plus much dirtier conditions.
Not really the project as thought at the beginning

mettee

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I agree...I expected more from a fuel injected 80cc saw, even a stock one.

This is RI Chevy's point. If it needs to modified, how impressive can it really be in stock form.

You just proved RI Chevy's point...the stock 500i is not impressive from what I have seen either.

Now, after "all out mods" and "some port work", it may be the animal we are all wanting and expecting. I will wait to pass judgment on that decision.

But he's not impressed because he is comparing to modified saws, thus his point is mostly mute.

The stock 500i l, size, weight, power, handling is all very impressive. A muffler mod would probably suffice to show possible gains.

And really how many of us have run a 500i, show of hands.... There you go. We don't know how it run other than a video which really tells us nothing, other than some guesstimation.

RI Chevy

Mastermind Approved!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
No sir. I was basing my opinion in the many 500i videos I have seen. On youtibe, Instagram, etc. There are many out there. The 462 wowed me a bit. The 500i did not. I was expecting to see a little more grunt out of it.
You are correct on the fact that I have not run one yet.
Hinerman is 100% correct on my post.

mettee

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
No sir. I was basing my opinion in the many 500i videos I have seen. On youtibe, Instagram, etc. There are many out there. The 462 wowed me a bit. The 500i did not. I was expecting to see a little more grunt out of it.
You are correct on the fact that I have not run one yet.
Hinerman is 100% correct on my post.

So you are saying you haven't seen and don't have an idea of what ported saws run like and have that in your subconscious when you are weighing your opinion of this saw?

Was the 462 that wowed you cutting the same wood the 500i was cutting with the same chain on both? So you see you can have an idea of something that doesn't correlate.

If we all ran the saw I have a feeling a lot of people would grab the 500i.

I still prefer a dolmar don't get me wrong :D

RI Chevy

Mastermind Approved!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Your killing me today. I think I have enough experience running many different saws, stock and ported to make an educated observation based on what I see.
That's all. Lol