• Poll closed .

exSW

'Cause Thomas is a poopyhead
Local time
9:44 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I just don't see how it could work. The community is relatively small. One determined crybaby can upset the whole apple cart. Or one really good snake oil salesman could compromise the whole system.
The way things are is kinda ugly but works.

DSS

widebody
Local time
10:44 AM
User ID
Reaction score
I just don't see how it could work. The community is relatively small. One determined crybaby can upset the whole apple cart. Or one really good snake oil salesman could compromise the whole system.
The way things are is kinda ugly but works.
I agree. It would have a hell of a lot better chance of working for these guys here though with BS not being here

Glock37

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I think a system of feed back for both parties as long as the whole story is said
Sometimes you do a service for someone and the owner of said part never pays
even after many many attempts to get hold of them
what do you do with the item you worked on ?
after a very long time you sell or part out the item then out of the blue the owner contacts you
what do you tell them ?
who's the bad guy here ?
This is fiction but easyly can happen !

angelo c

Coal Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
So we need an "app" to communicate ?
Holy Chit Batman...what has Gothem City become..."Nanny Ville" ?
Man, everything we do now has to be "organized" by someone and the responsibility diluted to someone who is NOT you.
You want a saw "ported"? do YOUR homework. Call the "builder" and find out what that means. Put on yer big boy pants and either assume the risk /reward or call your mamma and ask her what you should do.

Good Lord does everything have to be "Govermentalized"

Last edited:

weedkilla

Super OPE Member
Local time
11:14 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
How about this question - just because a bunch of people ask for it, should this forum offer it?
No, wait, that's pretty much the original question. And most of the replies - myself included - have been "I'd like that" or "it's a disaster waiting to happen".
Angelo is on the money I think.

nnero

Super OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
I'd it's tricky. Maybe any member who wants to advertise they do any kind of porting/custom work etc should have a profile page stating what exactly they do and their warranty/guarantee. I think in order to leave feedback it needs to be delayed in order for a mod to look it over and make sure it's not defamatory, vulgar and what not. This is giving me a headache just thinking about it lol

Wolverine

dilligaf
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
You want a saw "ported"? do YOUR homework. Call the "builder" and find out hat that means. Put on yer big boy pants and either assume the risk /reward
That was me a while back, looking for the right guy to do my first saw. I thought I did diligent research, been on the forum long enough to get an idea on this gentlemans reputation. Still didn't prevent it from being a bad experience. After posting when I had issues, other members started PMing me with similar stories about said porter. They were all afraid of being lynched by the masses. If I could have found an ounce of these experiences, it may have changed my mind, preventing headaches on both ends. I am certainly not a drama queen or high maint. Just want honesty and good communication.
So I vote hell yes for feedback.

I think the builder might get the blame for something that is out of their control. Some people have no regard for anything, and nothing is ever the fault of the dude they see in the mirror. This applies to their chainsaw, pickup truck, wife, kids, coworkers etc. I call them hammers, and they will *b-word the loudest of anyone on a feedback thread.

I think most sensible men will be able to spot such a person. Being that we all knida know each other here, their reputation will follow them around.

I applaud you Randy for all the time you are putting in on this new forum. I have been a moderator on a motorcycle forum for almost 10 years now and I know the time involved. Finding the right help to keep it going in the direction you vision can be a challenge. Hope it isn't draining all your idle time.

redtractor

Super OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I voted yes with the opinion that if you don't want to read any back-biting, change the channel. No one is holding a gun to your head to follow any thread.

paragonbuilder

Mastermind Approved!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
How about this. Each vendor has his own thread that cannot be deleted or edited without a request to the moderators. Only customers can post in it. And the only thing they can post is a scaled rating (1-5) (1-10). No comments allowed.
Then when someone is researching they can pm anyone they choose to get feedback and then follow up with questions to the builder. The latest posts will be the most current transactions.
This way no public flaming or emotional outbursts.
And knowing the ratings will be seen will make them strive for excellence.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Definitive Dave

Piss Rev Mafia Member
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
How about this question - just because a bunch of people ask for it, should this forum offer it?
No, wait, that's pretty much the original question. And most of the replies - myself included - have been "I'd like that" or "it's a disaster waiting to happen".
Angelo is on the money I think.
Man, everything we do now has to be "organized" by someone and the responsibility diluted to someone who is NOT you.
You want a saw "ported"? do YOUR homework. Call the "builder" and find out hat that means. Put on yer big boy pants and either assume the risk /reward or call your mamma and ask her what you should do.

The basic question that lies beneath is this.

Do we want a growing forum that nurtures a growing numbers of newbs and enthusiasts.

OR

do we want a clubhouse good ol boys club.

huskihl

Muh fingers look really big
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
All a feedback system does is give a whiner a reason to blame the builder or the system. Like I said in the "get what you pay for" thread, if someone wants work done, there's plenty of opportunities to get to know their work ahead of time. Wtf are we, Angie's list?

Mastermind

Chief Cat Herder
Staff member
GoldMember
Local time
8:44 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Obviously if you are doing business with someone on the site, there will be some pm's. If there is a problem it should be hashed out there. If there is no resolution then before being able to post about it maybe a moderator can be asked to review and help negotiate. If it's a reasonable complaint then whoever feels wronged can request permission to post a buyer beware or seller beware warning with no replies allowed. If anyone wants more info they can pm the parties directly. This way no one can just spout off when they get an attitude.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I don't do business in PMs.

I get dozens of them per day......and when I need to find a certain one, I can't. They are not searchable.

I tell the perspective client to send me an email....

Randy could start a 'Saw Builders Association' where builders have a set of guidelines and criteria to meet. I think same rules for all builders in the association. Their work/methods can be different but a set procedure to deal with issues when they arise. The membership may incur a monthly yearly cost and perhaps an on cost of some type is passed onto the customer. Someone would chair the association and could mediate between customer and builder to resolve issues. I would as a customer happily pay a $25 on cost to know I have a system and code of practice in place. With builders having 'fanclubs' many don't choose to voice an issue due to fear of reprisal or simply don't want to cause public hurt to whoever provided the service. Having a behind the scenes system that resolves any issues by a arbitrator third party could prevent reputation damage to builders and protect customers. Rules of the association could involve blacklisting anyone offering services that is continually falling short of code of practice. The way things are aired publicly now is not fair or good to either party involved. People would then have confidence dealing with those in the 'Saw Builders Association' and provide a good list of options for customers. Just an idea I have made work in another industry trading on the wholesale auto market.

No way. I'm just another guy that mods saws......

All I can think is "the road to hell is paved with good intentions".
I get the idea that a feedback system would provide new customers with some confidence, but every time there is a bad review someone will have to sort it out - when it should be sorted out between the two people directly involved.
So somebody is charged with working out who is in the right, now that is a hell of a responsibility. It's looking like that person would be randy, and I wouldn't wish it upon him.

See that thing I just wrote in reply to the last quote? lol

How about this. Each vendor has his own thread that cannot be deleted or edited without a request to the moderators. Only customers can post in it. And the only thing they can post is a scaled rating (1-5) (1-10). No comments allowed.
Then when someone is researching they can pm anyone they choose to get feedback and then follow up with questions to the builder. The latest posts will be the most current transactions.
This way no public flaming or emotional outbursts.
And knowing the ratings will be seen will make them strive for excellence.

Anything we do is looking like a lot of work for the staff. This seems to be the least trouble.

I see the need for some sort of feedback system......but have no idea how to make it work well.

You want a saw "ported"? do YOUR homework. Call the "builder" and find out hat that means. Put on yer big boy pants and either assume the risk /reward or call your mamma and ask her what you should do.

Smartest post I've read yet. I think a sticky with something like this in it would be all we really need.

Do we really want to get involved????? This place is shaping up to be a forum built by solid members......can we keep it like this? I think so.

Definitive Dave

Piss Rev Mafia Member
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
As a forum we will never have to strive to do less, entropy occurs naturally.

I doubt this place was created with hopes of mediocrity.

EDIT; Typed before Randy's post, lest it look like I was trying to be a bigger knob than normal

Mastermind

Chief Cat Herder
Staff member
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
As a forum we will never have to strive to do less, entropy occurs naturally.

I doubt this place was created with hopes of mediocrity.

EDIT; Typed before Randy's post, lest it look like I was trying to be a bigger knob than normal

You have the best of intentions.......and I do as well. Experience tells me that no matter what we do......there will always be someone that is unhappy with it.

One thing I will not do is over moderate this site. Instead, I think open discussions like this one do far more good.

Mastermind

Chief Cat Herder
Staff member
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I have a few of those.....

Here's what I have done.

I offered to fix it if the owner paid for the parts. I've not had many, and I know it was neither my fault or the owner's.......so, it seemed like good business to pony up the labor.

If it was a regular thing......I would avoid that model, or advise against porting those.

So far, I've had a 200T, a 046, and a 390XP that broke, so I figure it's just random weirdness.

Definitive Dave

Piss Rev Mafia Member
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
View attachment 7952

461 more then 4 months pro logger use. what would you expect of me on this?
Buff right out

The split Randy suggested would make me giddy if it were my saw

Also can't stoop looking at the pic, it looks like a very clean break, like split stone.
Maybe a weak spot in the casting , like a grain in wood.

les-or-more

Well-Known OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
View attachment 7952

461 more then 4 months pro logger use. what would you expect of me on this?
Say a prayer as ya throw it in the scrap barrel.
Give me a hug as I cry it out after the ceremony.
Then we could discuss if it was just a fluke or maybe the cylinder design isn't strong enough for the compression it was built with.
Then pay you to make it go fast again, them is the breaks for going beyond design specs, it sucks but it is what it is.

tree monkey

Mastermind Approved!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I have a few of those.....

Here's what I have done.

I offered to fix it if the owner paid for the parts. I've not had many, and I know it was neither my fault or the owner's.......so, it seemed like good business to pony up the labor.

If it was a regular thing......I would avoid that model, or advise against porting those.

So far, I've had a 200T, a 046, and a 390XP that broke, so I figure it's just random weirdness.

that's what I did.
3 months later it did it again. now what?