huskihl

Muh fingers look really big
GoldMember
Local time
5:00 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
That's true.......but I refused to answer a question for a guy a few days ago.

He said he knew of people charging 200.00 and 250.00 for a port job. He asked why I charged more?

I told him to try out one of those cheaper guys. He acted like I insulted him......so I explained.

I'm not gonna toot my own horn, nor will I say negative things about other guys in this business to a customer.

How could I tell him why I was worth more without doing those things?
Homeowners ask multiple contractors give bids all the time. They're price shopping. Everyone doesn't have to ask the same price to do the same job. If you were short on work, you might consider dropping your price. If you were backed up for months you might consider raising your price. Simple supply and demand. Capitalism at its finest

paragonbuilder

Mastermind Approved!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
That's true.......but I refused to answer a question for a guy a few days ago.

He said he knew of people charging 200.00 and 250.00 for a port job. He asked why I charged more?

I told him to try out one of those cheaper guys. He acted like I insulted him......so I explained.

I'm not gonna toot my own horn, nor will I say negative things about other guys in this business to a customer.

How could I tell him why I was worth more without doing those things?
A customer list would help with this. Refer him to the list, and tell him to do his research.
When my customers ask me that question, I simply tell them that I'm more expensive because I spend extra time on the little details. Details are important to some, and not so much to others. Either way you have a house at the end, do you want one with attention to detail, or just a place to crash?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

paragonbuilder

Mastermind Approved!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
That can be a simple as asking a builder to provide the names of a few guys he has done saws for.
Yes but then he can choose customers he knows will give good references. A list he could randomly choose who he calls.

huskihl

Muh fingers look really big
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
As stated above, referrals are the way to handle this if it has to happen. A mob of 2 isn't going to stir up much

ny15

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I like the customer list idea. Keep it as simple as possible. As far as explaining your price, it's what you feel your time and knowledge is worth. Your results should speak for themselves

paragonbuilder

Mastermind Approved!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Maybe each post in the builders "customer thread", each customer could simply state what saw they had done. (Ms460) (390xp). And that's it. No feedback allowed in that thread. Brag or b*tch somewhere else.

paragonbuilder

Mastermind Approved!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I've had some customers call me because they were told I was higher. They ask the same question, Why?
But they are asking because they want to know they are getting a better job and are looking to feel me out.
You cannot charge more than others, provide an inferior service, and expect to last long.
Some just look for the price point. Others know better. I like to work for the latter. And believe me, they hold me to it.

weedkilla

Super OPE Member
Local time
6:30 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag

exSW

'Cause Thomas is a poopyhead
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I don't know about fit n finish I know why I like Mr Evan's saws. I ran a couple. In big wood, in poor performance weather. *b-wordes still rocked.

Cut4fun

Redneck Chainsaw Repair
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
I think it is a great idea. Let folks know the good and BAD.

Let the truth be told and then people can make their own choice.

Wolverine

dilligaf
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Eager to see what becomes of this experiment. ;)

People need to do their due diligence and research before they hire a builder. It's no different than hiring someone to put a roof on your house or repair your vehicle. Ask around and find who does good work.

I did due diligence, but couldn't find anything negative. Thought I was fine... Then after [all]communications stopped, and work was beyond 6 months late and no future in sight, I posted (on AS) my experiences. I had more than 3 guys PM me telling their bad experience with same builder. So in my case, your advice does not always work.

ny15

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
did you talk to customers of his? As quick as people are to blame, I am surprised there was nothing negative out there about him.

Mastermind

Chief Cat Herder
Staff member
GoldMember
Local time
4:00 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Eager to see what becomes of this experiment. ;)

I did due diligence, but couldn't find anything negative. Thought I was fine... Then after [all]communications stopped, and work was beyond 6 months late and no future in sight, I posted (on AS) my experiences. I had more than 3 guys PM me telling their bad experience with same builder. So in my case, your advice does not always work.

You can share who it was here without being lynched.