Husky 394xp rebuild

RIDE-RED 350r

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
2:06 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Another Brewz-Built Husky, love it!

I have overhauled a couple of 394 to date, both responded well to a simple base gasket delete. I'll be taking mine a bit further than that though when I overhaul it.

You did good work on a 372 recently as I recall, I'm sure you'll do fine on the 394. Have fun and enjoy that test run!

CR888

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
4:06 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
That saw has most likely cut so much wood over so many years, it would not owe the owner one cent paying for itself many times. What normally happens when a tool like this is gets tired & old is its replaced with a new one. But that saw costs about 2 gorilla's here and the owner obviously loves it and don't want it in a parts bin being scavenged. A dealer could charge well over 1 gorilla to rebuild it and would advise a new replacement. That's why Brewz has this saw, he is like a surgeon who will operate in a situation others won't. Hope she runs like a top when done and has no drywall screws holding things together. 394 is one of them saws that is fairly 'hot' in off the shelf form.

Brewz

Free Range Human in a Tax Farm
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Awww shucks, thanks folks.
I have a motto, that any job worth doing is worth doing right!

I enjoy the process of stripping, repairing, modifying and putting them back together.

I also like to document it on here so others may get something from it all down the track.

Brewz

Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Very nice Jim.

I take it that saw has the high top on it?
Is there a separate 394 high top cover and filter bits or do you have to use a 395 top?

Chainsaw Jim

Con Artist LLC
Local time
11:06 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Very nice Jim.

I take it that saw has the high top on it?
Is there a separate 394 high top cover and filter bits or do you have to use a 395 top?
Im pretty sure the high top was an option for those. That's how this one came to me so I'm unsure of any changes made.

beaglebriar

The Peanut Gallery
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Subbed. I'll be following along with this one. The 394 I just picked up turned out to be a 395! I still can't wait to build it and I have a few parts ordered already. I have one of the Hyway mufflers coming from HLsupply. I'll let you know what the quality is like when it gets here Brewz. Should see it in the next couple days.

Brewz

Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Subbed. I'll be following along with this one. The 394 I just picked up turned out to be a 395! I still can't wait to build it and I have a few parts ordered already. I have one of the Hyway mufflers coming from HLsupply. I'll let you know what the quality is like when it gets here Brewz. Should see it in the next couple days.
Did you get the Hyway one?
Thats the one I am looking at.

I tracked down a tall top cover but by the time I get it here I am out $70 plus I need the different neck etc.
Also the filters are harder to get and more expensive.

I would do it for my saw, but this one is a regular work saw so I thing ease of getting filters will be more important.
I will leave it as it is.

I have to remember I am rebuilding a work horse to keep it going, not building a custom hot rod.

beaglebriar

The Peanut Gallery
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Did you get the Hyway one?
Thats the one I am looking at.

I tracked down a tall top cover but by the time I get it here I am out $70 plus I need the different neck etc.
Also the filters are harder to get and more expensive.

I would do it for my saw, but this one is a regular work saw so I thing ease of getting filters will be more important.
I will leave it as it is.

I have to remember I am rebuilding a work horse to keep it going, not building a custom hot rod.
Yeah I got the one with the deflector and spark screen. I should see it Tuesday or Wednesday.

There's a lot of 394's out there running the low top. I see no need to change it for a firewood saw.

Brewz

Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Anyone got any good muffler mod pictures of 394/395 mufflers?
Fishing for ideas.
I have a few medium @Red97 deflectors, and looking at the single little hole in the stock muffler, it will respond well to a 2nd opening.
I am thinking of putting a 2nd deflector on the same side but on the forward section of the muffler case

Red97

Mastermind Approved!
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Looks like you have plenty of room to add a second port on the clutch side.

Probably get away with opening the whole area under the medium deflector. While opening up the stock outlet a bit too.

beaglebriar

The Peanut Gallery
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Looks like you have plenty of room to add a second port on the clutch side.

Probably get away with opening the whole area under the medium deflector. While opening up the stock outlet a bit too.
That's my plan for the Hyway muffler.

Sty57

Mastermind Approved!
Local time
1:06 PM
User ID
Reaction score
This is under the stock deflector.
2dc7953e6b8cc0de8aa2446719f2d26a.jpg