High Quality Chainsaw Bars Husqvarna Toys

How to square file

Swizzler

Well-Known OPE Member
Local time
5:17 AM
User ID
Reaction score
I don't run full-comp much, but also have not been able to try results yet, so I've just been taking a few swipes, inspecting tooth. Trying different angle inspecting tooth. Repeat. Post pics of teeth, get feedback. Repeat.

Not too worried about wasting a chain. Hell this file cost almost as much as the chain lol.

Swizzler

Well-Known OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
I feel like I have a good understanding now of how to control all the angles with the file. It's just a matter of consistency at this point.

RI Chevy

Mastermind Approved!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
You gotta put the chain into wood and assess. Then make adjustments if necessary. Only way to really get a good feel for the filing that you're doing.
Make test cuts.

ZukiRyder400

Breaker of recoils
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
That is the important angle, the side plate cuts the fiber. The top plate just removes the chips. (At least when cross cutting, not when milling).

Tooth looks good, just clean the gullet a bit and tell us how it works!
I cleaned the gullets out after I took the pics. It cut decent but Im still tweakin:)

MustangMike

Mastermind Approved!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Well ... hate to say it, but when he says one file cleans the gullet better than the other he is off already.

Using a stump vice and a paint stirrer (to immobilize the tooth) is a lot better/faster than what he does with the wedge.

Nutball

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
4:17 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
You gotta put the chain into wood and assess. Then make adjustments if necessary. Only way to really get a good feel for the filing that you're doing.
Make test cuts.
I would be more concerned with developing filing technique, so that when you do finally cut wood, you will have the skills to consistently adjust each tooth for better performance. Might not be a bad idea to file away a whole chain first.

I've gotten pretty good recently at round filing because every weekend I sharpen saws for a big tree company. 5-15 chains all at once.

RI Chevy

Mastermind Approved!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
You can either do it, or you can't.
Round filing for me is easier, faster, and more cost effective.
But I still fool around with square filing.

Swizzler

Well-Known OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
I would be more concerned with developing filing technique, so that when you do finally cut wood, you will have the skills to consistently adjust each tooth for better performance. Might not be a bad idea to file away a whole chain first.

Yeah I still feel like I'm not consistent enough to make those assessments. Can't tell what a different angle does if every tooth has different angles.

That being said I did finally actually cut with a chain I square filed today and it ripped. I just want to see how long it lasts because I went pretty aggressive with it.

MustangMike

Mastermind Approved!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
For keeping angles consistent:

When I first started doing square, I use a stump vice and put the saw on top of a wooden box. I drew lines on the box both ways at 45* to help me stay consistent and not "revert" to the round file 30* angle.

For general cutting is hardwood, I go 45, 45 and 45 (back, angle of the file, down). When doing this, the far side of the file will be flush on the opposite link.

I found this real helpful: http://www.madsens1.com/bnc_cb_angles.htm

MustangMike

Mastermind Approved!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
The inside top plate = the angle down (this just removes the chips unless you are milling)

The Inside Side Plate = the angle back (this is the most important angle as it cuts the wood fibers during a cross cut)

Putting a 45* tilt on the file will produce the other angles.

If the outside side plate is not less than 90*, the chain will not self feed well.

If you "rock" a corner (even with just a tiny pebble), your chain will not cut right until you file it out.

Full Chisel Round (like Stihl RS) is easy to convert to square. (On the East Coast, square file chain is hard to find).

Swizzler

Well-Known OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Anyone know the difference between rslf and rslfk? Apparently the K is the "klassic" design, but I'm not sure what that means.