How to square file

RI Chevy

Mastermind Approved!
Local time
5:14 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Thanks Kevin. SO the files last longer going inside out, vs outside in?

wcorey

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Thanks Kevin. SO the files last longer going inside out, vs outside in?

I’d assume that’s due to chatter, which is hugely aggravated when filing outside in as opposed to being almost nonexistent when filing inside out, even with a very solid mount it’s hard to avoid entirely.

Chatter is a quick death of files, takes chunks off the cutting edges that are very hard and therefore brittle and more delicate in that regard than you’d think. Lose one or two little teeth on the bevel edge and the file is almost useless for outside in use.

It’s essential but surprisingly difficult to get the cutter really firmly planted since it’s suspended between the side plates.
It’s quite a juggling act to square file outside in on the bar as you’re simultaneously trying to maintain position/angles for the bevel while keeping just the right amount of pressure in just the right direction to avoid chatter.

Failing to come off the cut somewhat on the back stroke is also very detrimental to file life.

Last edited:

LoneOak

Super OPE Member
GoldMember
Local time
4:14 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Definitely lasts longer before getting dull enough to pitch into the bin, clogging is eliminated by slappin the tip of the file against sumtin solid after every other stroke or two

Yes. I get about 10 - 15 chains (Oregon - Stihl mix) before the file starts to feel dull. The majority of my chains are 3/8 91, 98, and 114 drivers, 72CK or 33RSLHK. The .325 goes to the grinder.

Yup, just give the file a tap to knock off the dust, and keep on going.

Last edited:

RI Chevy

Mastermind Approved!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Wow. Thanks for the info guys! That's the worst thing about square filing traditional. Kills files fast.

MustangMike

Mastermind Approved!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Maybe that is why I don't have a problem filing outside in, I lock the tooth in place with a paint stirrer, so I don't have any chatter.

I've shown what I do at a few GTG's, but maybe I'll have to post a pic. I almost never remove my chains from my bars.

FYI, I believe the tooth is sharper if you go outside in, just like sharpening a knife.

mettee

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
2:14 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Outside in gets sharper, I'm with you there. I tried inside out, while the file lasts, you just can't get the best angles.

I agree that keeping the cutter "locked" in place is the way to go.

I have a set of vicegrips, I clamp those in the vice at the head pointed up. I leave the vicegrip handle free, then I just clamp it on the cutter.

We need to make some diamond square files I think.

wcorey

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I agree that keeping the cutter "locked" in place is the way to go.

I have a set of vicegrips, I clamp those in the vice at the head pointed up. I leave the vicegrip handle free, then I just clamp it on the cutter.

We need to make some diamond square files I think.

To get a diamond file that removes enough material to shape a cutter in a few strokes like a file, I think it would have to be relatively course. Then that may create an issue with getting a sharp enough corner on it and maintaining that corner.

How do you clamp vice grips on the cutter?

For me locking the cutter in place on the drivers with just vice jaws of some kind isn't quite effective/consistent enough. Really needs something that holds across both side plates and/or a sideways radial sort of tension on the cutter or it still has the potential to rattle around a bit.
The Silvey prosharp does the side tension thing and works very well.

<Edited to correct>

Last edited:

mettee

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
2:14 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
To get a diamond file that removes enough material to shape a cutter in a few strokes like a file, I think it would have to be relatively course. Then that may create an issue with getting a sharp enough corner on it and maintaining that corner.

How do you clamp vice grips on the cutter?

For me locking the cutter in place on the drivers or side plates with just vice jaws of some kind isn't quite effective/consistent enough. Because the cutter is isolated between the side plates, it can't easily be held directly and still has the potential to rattle around a bit. So really needs something that holds a sideways radial sort of tension on the adjoining chain links or pushes directly on the cutter from one side push it against the side plates.

Diamond would be for finishing.

I clamp the two drivers I believe, all points you brought up are valid, but I get no movement.

I don't have a pic, next time I sharpen a chain I'll take one. But I have a wilton 450 bullet, I clamp the vice grips in that so that the vice grip clamp handle is free, and I lock the tooth in via the drivers.