High Quality Chainsaw Bars Husqvarna Toys

How To Modify The Zama EL-42

SawTroll

Information collector
Local time
10:11 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Now after you drill it, use air pressure to blow all the swarf out......and drive it back it to the same depth, and in the same orientation that it was in when you started.

Reassemble the carb and rest assured that you will now have plenty of fuel to kill stuff with. :)

I would think it may be a good idea to open the venturi as well, at least when used on a ported 357 or 359? As I recall it the EL42 is 16.0mm, while the HDA-199 etc is 16.67mm?

Last edited:

Lightning Performance

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
4:11 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Enlarging the venturi can have unintended consequences. Many times, the low pressure signal is affected and not enough fuel is supplied.

Yup, on many carbs.
If you stay away from the critical signal areas like the low side holes, mild smoothing and porting yields much better results. That method also can create problems like swirl. Swirl is good thing in the right place but bad in the wrong one. Aska a a Q-jet spread bore with double step boosters. Their easy to f-up. I wrecked my share :)
Saw carbs are easy till their not :-/

SawTroll

Information collector
Local time
10:11 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Enlarging the venturi can have unintended consequences. Many times, the low pressure signal is affected and not enough fuel is supplied.

I'm sure it may - but as far as I know it rarely turns out that way if the person doing it knows what he is doing.

a. palmer jr.

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
4:11 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
My 359 has the Walbro carb on it. Although I've not run it a whole lot it seems to not have any problem with the carb that's on it. Maybe the previous owner tweaked it a bit..

Junk Meister

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
3:11 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
It's not needed....
"IF" I Gasket delete and Muff Mod a 2159/359 would this procedure help but not hinder the saws performance?
If it is helpful I will do it, - If it hinders I will leave it for the Porter if I decide to get a saw worked over. I read this more than once, Still marvel at the "SOUTHERN and OUTHERN ENGINEERING" everyone can MacGyver into a saw.

Mastermind

Chief Cat Herder
Staff member
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
"IF" I Gasket delete and Muff Mod a 2159/359 would this procedure help but not hinder the saws performance?
If it is helpful I will do it, - If it hinders I will leave it for the Porter if I decide to get a saw worked over. I read this more than once, Still marvel at the "SOUTHERN and OUTHERN ENGINEERING" everyone can MacGyver into a saw.

It isn't really needed till serious mods are done.

Junk Meister

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Odd Story. I dealt for 4 -2159s' and 1 - 359. His son died (Car accident) 10 yrs ago. He said the 359 was always an easy starter, the 2159s' were problematic buggers. 2 of the 2159s' are Z EL42 ,, 2 Are W HD199. The 359 is W HD199. When I got the 359 CYL off it was Dry and a Dusty white looking, I assume it was straight gassed. Piston was scored evenly all around cyl had many small scores around it that wouldn't clean up. This saw ran 9 or 10 years after the son died. Dad said he wore it out. It was the ugly one but the clincher is he swears the J 2159s' are hard starting POS saws . The H 359s' and "ALL" Husqvarnas are far better.. When I asked him if he wanted me to fix one for him he never flinched, just said "NOPE"
Now I just want to make sure they start easy and run strong when i am done with them. I will be looking hard at the needle , spring , and setting(s) they passed vac/press have metal clamps etc. this is one of the reasons I am reading up on these carbs. Like the Walbro HDA 199 needing 15 psi popoff press to work good(er) ..
Apologies for cluttering this thread but I DID and thanks to everybody for all of the explanations and PICTUREs of this carb.

Bjorn

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
1:11 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Hello. Can you do same mod to the Zama C3-EL32?

thedude74

Bonafide & Stuff !!!
Local time
1:11 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Thanks Randy! In the process a making a husky 350 more gooder. 👍