Country flag

Terry Syd

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
4:49 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I'm not familiar with the EL-42, but I noticed it also had a brass jet in the carb. Is that a limiting jet on the low speed circuit?

EDIT: With only the pictures you provided, it looks like the low speed needle may line up with that jet. If so, it is probably a limiting jet to the circuit (especially if it is only the standard .25mm).

Without pulling the welch plugs, it looks like the jet could feed two discharge holes, the idle hole and a subsequent auxiliary hole that may open at about 1/4 throttle (have to check inside the carb to confirm).

The low speed needle may only adjust the fuel coming into the idle circuit. However, the flow through the auxiliary discharge hole will be limited by the jet.

The jet looks like one of those jets that has the membrane valve underneath it. If you pull the jet you can confirm both the circuit and the kind of jet it is.

If it is an EPA limiting jet, then it could be an interesting experiment to drill it out one size larger. You can't just remove the jet like you can on a Walbro as the size of the jet will regulate the flow though the auxiliary hole.

Last edited:

Terry Syd

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
4:49 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I sent a message to 'Poleman', he has a lot of experience in pulling these kind of jets, even has his own tool for it. Maybe he can chime in with some further information.

idiotwithasaw

Super OPE Member
Local time
1:49 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Would there be any advantage to drilling the hole out one size larger or would that supply too much fuel?