Early Husky 562XP improvements

schmeg

Well-Known OPE Member
Local time
8:23 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Long time lurker here. Caveats, I’m not a,professional. I’m a woodlot owner that cuts for pleasure and land improvement. One of my saws is a 2013 562XP that I bought new and it is a very low time saw. Maybe 15 hours max. I have recently purchased a new complete bottom end with the new PEEK bearings for a great price and am going to be taking the saw down soon to swap it over. My question is the saw is an EL46 saw and yes it has the “bog off idle” issue. I’ve tried reducing pop off pressure with the spring mod in the carb. Didn’t do anything. The saw otherwise runs very nice. I figure this would be a good time to upgrade the carb.
1. Would an EL48 fix it?
2. Would the newest carb be better? If so does the newest carb also,need the newest autotune module to go with it?
Yes, I’m aware that any carb change requires a re-flash. I would like to keep the EL-46, but I’m fresh out of ideas. The saw idles great, runs great, bogs slightly off idle. I don’t suspect an air leak but I haven’t tested it. Again it’s a very low time saw. I live in Maine and cut in cool/cold weather so I haven’t had the heat related issues some run into. I am thinking of trying a spark plug that’s one heat range hotter to see if it fixes the bog. The saw seems to be more prone to the bog when it gets cold outside.
Also, any thoughts to upgrading the oiler while I’m in there? I only run a 20” bar. TIA. Jay

schmeg

Well-Known OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I saw this video and was about to do it, but the butterfly he is modding is from an EL44. The EL 46 is quite a bit different and on another video he explains in detail as to what is going on with the idle fuel circuit in the EL46 and is working on a fix. Unfortunately nothing has been published on the EL46. I didn’t want to blindly start modding that butterfly without further guidance.

huskihl

Muh fingers look really big
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I saw this video and was about to do it, but the butterfly he is modding is from an EL44. The EL 46 is quite a bit different and on another video he explains in detail as to what is going on with the idle fuel circuit in the EL46 and is working on a fix. Unfortunately nothing has been published on the EL46. I didn’t want to blindly start modding that butterfly without further guidance.
If it gets worse, you can always solder the hole back smaller and enlarge from there