Chief Cat Herder
Staff member
GoldMember
Local time
7:01 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Lots of people look for the Walbro HDA199 for their ported 346XP, and 357XPs. There is another option. The EL-42 was the replacement carb for the Walbro when they became known as a trouble prone carb. The issue many people have with the EL-42 is that it doesn't supply enough fuel to supply a ported saw. Well here I'm gonna show you how to fix that issue. First, I wanna give props to my dear friend Stihlbro (Joey) for sharing with me his ideas on this mod.

The EL-42

IMG_3447.JPG

IMG_3448.JPG

Mastermind

Chief Cat Herder
Staff member
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Now after you drill it, use air pressure to blow all the swarf out......and drive it back it to the same depth, and in the same orientation that it was in when you started.

Reassemble the carb and rest assured that you will now have plenty of fuel to kill stuff with. :)

super3

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
8:01 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Good info Randy.

Randy....GREAT JOB!!

Question for you....I tapped out that orfic like you have but mine were always a loose fit after doing that....Is yours tight??

Of the several that I have done, only one was loose going back in. I used a scribe to dimple the mating surface in the carb body.

Mastermind

Chief Cat Herder
Staff member
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Randy....GREAT JOB!!

Question for you....I tapped out that orfic like you have but mine were always a loose fit after doing that....Is yours tight??

I've yet to have one that was loose. Weird....

Is the EL-42 used on the 359 and 2159 saws too?

Sir yes sir. That is your carb I just tweaked...

Marshy

WFO Cutting
Local time
8:01 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Thought it might be. You told me how it was done but I had no appreciation for how small the hole was. Wow.

Last edited: