High Quality Chainsaw Bars Husqvarna Toys

how about a Oklahoma,AR,MO,KS,TX,+IA GTG thread?

Hedgerow

ONE OF THE GREATEST.....LONG LEGGED MIDGETS
Local time
9:02 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I’ve been trying to get caught up splitting also, making some headway but still got a ways to go. None of mine goes inside except what I will burn over the winter.

I finished filling in this stack
View attachment 346121

Then got moved over to a new pen
View attachment 346122 View attachment 346123

There is still a fair jag left in the old truck & the junk wood is starting to overflow my trailer. I need to find someone with a boiler to sell it to.
View attachment 346126
Have em use it right off the trailer and call when it’s empty...

plcnut

Jesus is LORD
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Good afternoon!
Our well died on us yesterday. They should be here anytime to pull the pump. It acts like a broken shaft. It pulls about 4 amps and doesn't build any pressure. A new 2HP pump is not going to be cheap...

On another note, I am trying to make a decision on putting in an outdoor wood boiler.
A Central Boiler 560HDX is going to cost just shy of $15K plus about $2K in parts for the instal.
That would buy an awful lot of propane. I can pre-buy for about $2.50 a gallon right now.
This place was only using 500-600 gallons per year in the past. 600 gallons is only about $1500 a year.

How do you guys make sense out of these numbers?

I can talk myself into it pretty quick when I consider that the propane may not be available...
Am I over thinking it?

Last edited:

Sawdust Man

Manufacturer of Sawdust
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Hello guys.

Seems like a nice thread going here, I've been a somewhat active member on ope for a few months now, but haven't posted in this thread yet.
I'm located about an hour east of Branson near bull shoals lake.
I like the more localized group, cause it's got lots of pertinent information on stuff around these parts, like the rain we're maybe going to get shortly......
Have a good afternoon y'all!

plcnut

Jesus is LORD
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Hello guys.

Seems like a nice thread going here, I've been a somewhat active member on ope for a few months now, but haven't posted in this thread yet.
I like the more localized group, cause it's got lots of pertinent information on stuff around these parts, like the rain we're maybe going to get shortly......
You're not too far from us.
We used to go down to Pontiac and swim when we were growing up.
I live just South on Mansfield now.

moparnut88

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
10:02 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Good afternoon!
Our well died on us yesterday. They should be here anytime to pull the pump. It acts like a broken shaft. It pulls about 4 amps and doesn't build any pressure. A new 2HP pump is not going to be cheap...

On another note, I am trying to make a decision on putting in an outdoor wood boiler.
A Central Boiler 560HDX is going to cost just shy of $15K plus about $2K in parts for the instal.
That would buy an awful lot of propane. I can pre-buy for about $2.50 a gallon right now.
This place was only using 500-600 gallons per year in the past. 600 gallons is only about $1500 a year.

I can talk myself into it pretty quick when I consider that the propane may not be available...
Am I over thinking it?

The cost fluctuations and availability are important to consider. Ideally have both lol. I just got a quote for propane for around $1.80 last week.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sawdust Man

Manufacturer of Sawdust
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
You're not too far from us.
We used to go down to Pontiac and swim when we were growing up.
I live just South on Mansfield now.
We're near Theodosia, so 'bout an hour south of Mansfield.
Been here since Jan of 2021, before that we wuz in western Oregon.
Other than the summer weather down here, this is a way better place to live as far as I'm concerned!

WKEND LUMBERJAK

Here For The Long Haul!
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Hello guys.

Welcome

MACHINE

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
The cost fluctuations and availability are important to consider. Ideally have both lol. I just got a quote for propane for around $1.80 last week.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Go with infrared wall heaters, they don't use much at all ,

I LOVE ours.

Sent from my SM-G975U1 using Tapatalk

stihl livin

Do the Dallas
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Good afternoon!

Am I over thinking it?

What is your current heat source? A new furnace installed isn’t cheap.

KS Plainsman

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Good afternoon!

Am I over thinking it?

I'm gona be/sound a bit ignorant about your situation, since I don't know your situation, but how big is your house? I guess, my first thought is why an outdoor boiler? If a person has a propane setup already, why not just get a good wood stove and get that installed and have it for supplemental/backup heat? If propane becomes unavailable, at least you'll have a heat source, if you don't already have a stove.

Of course there's variables I'm sure, like if you have a wife and kids or a massive house, or extra money to spend, I understand that stuff would make a difference in the decision.

I guess, I'm a bit of a tightwad though, so the thought of 17k for a boiler install is pretty wild for me. I only gave 17,500 for my whole house though and my house is between 950-1000 sq ft. So a wood stove easily heats my whole house.

plcnut

Jesus is LORD
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
What is your current heat source? A new furnace installed isn’t cheap.

We have central HVAC. It is propane.
The unit is a Goodman, and seems to be in good condition.
I have no problem with it other than concern over the ability to get propane when I really need it.

I'm gona be/sound a bit ignorant about your situation, since I don't know your situation, but how big is your house? I guess, my first thought is why an outdoor boiler? If a person has a propane setup already, why not just get a good wood stove and get that installed and have it for supplemental/backup heat? If propane becomes unavailable, at least you'll have a heat source, if you don't already have a stove.

Of course there's variables I'm sure, like if you have a wife and kids or a massive house, or extra money to spend, I understand that stuff would make a difference in the decision.

I guess, I'm a bit of a tightwad though, so the thought of 17k for a boiler install is pretty wild for me. I only gave 17,500 for my whole house though and my house is between 950-1000 sq ft. So a wood stove easily heats my whole house.

Our house is 3500 square feet. 2 story with a walkout basement.
I have a wife and 9 children, so safety and reliability is rather important.

I had an outdoor boiler at our last house and really like the principal of it.
If I buy one, I am not interested in buying junk.
Insurance really frowns on wood heat inside.
I have a place where I can cut my own wood, and we enjoy doing the work.

The propane is really handy, and makes sense to me as far as money goes. Switching to wood is not to save money (although that is always nice), but is more for reliability.
Our government has their hands into way too much, and I don't want to be too dependant if I can help it.

I wish I could just sit a stove in the basement and call it good. I hope to have this payed for in the next five years, and then I can do what I please.

As an aside, I do have a whole house generator that is tied to the propane, and that can provide the power to keep my furnace running during a power outage.

plcnut

Jesus is LORD
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Dropped a new pump in the well this evening.
Learned that the problem was not the pump.
We are out of water.
Pump is dry at 480', so we are planning to add 40' of pipe tomorrow and drop it a little lower. Our liner ends at 500', and I don't really like the idea of dropping the pump below it, but we have to get to where the water is. The sediment is at around 670' (the hole was 730' originally). The formation down there is pretty rough though.
It's always something. :)

plcnut

Jesus is LORD
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Go with infrared wall heaters, they don't use much at all ,

I LOVE ours.

If I were to go with electric, the I would put in 3 or 4 mini-splits that can operate as a heat pump. Those rigs will heat down to zero F. My generator would have the power to run them as well.

JimBear

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Dropped a new pump in the well this evening.
Learned that the problem was not the pump.
We are out of water.
Pump is dry at 480', so we are planning to add 40' of pipe tomorrow and drop it a little lower. Our liner ends at 500', and I don't really like the idea of dropping the pump below it, but we have to get to where the water is. The sediment is at around 670' (the hole was 730' originally). The formation down there is pretty rough though.
It's always something. :)

What’s your well liner/hole diameter?

Most wells around here that I am aware of or worked on have anywhere from 40’ - 80’ of pipe on them. Liners range from 12” - 36”.

As you said though the ground formation is different from here to there.

KS Plainsman

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
We have central HVAC. It is propane.
The unit is a Goodman, and seems to be in good condition.
I have no problem with it other than concern over the ability to get propane when I really need it.

Our house is 3500 square feet. 2 story with a walkout basement.
I have a wife and 9 children, so safety and reliability is rather important.

I had an outdoor boiler at our last house and really like the principal of it.
If I buy one, I am not interested in buying junk.
Insurance really frowns on wood heat inside.
I have a place where I can cut my own wood, and we enjoy doing the work.

The propane is really handy, and makes sense to me as far as money goes. Switching to wood is not to save money (although that is always nice), but is more for reliability.
Our government has their hands into way too much, and I don't want to be too dependant if I can help it.

I wish I could just sit a stove in the basement and call it good. I hope to have this payed for in the next five years, and then I can do what I please.

As an aside, I do have a whole house generator that is tied to the propane, and that can provide the power to keep my furnace running during a power outage.

All that makes perfect sense then. With a wife and 9 kids (not many families with 9 kids any more) making things comfortable, constantly would definitely be a big deal and that's before the fact that your house is 3500 sq ft. It'd take a good sized stove, or 2, to heat all that.

I agree, that being as dependent as we can, on ourselves, and less on anyone else, for anything, the better. It's the main reason I started burning wood. People told me at the start "That's a lot of work". I always respond to folks when they comment about the work, "I'd have to work my job to pay the power company anyways, so why not cut them out of the equation and work to provide for myself?"

I'm like you and a lot of us on here, I'm sure, I truly enjoy everything about the firewood process. From running saws, to splitting wood, to burning it in my stoves.

MACHINE

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
If I were to go with electric, the I would put in 3 or 4 mini-splits that can operate as a heat pump. Those rigs will heat down to zero F. My generator would have the power to run them as well.
The gas wall heater requires zero electricity.

They will save you in an ice storm

hoskvarna

Mastermind Approved!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
We have had .41” of rain here so far.

We got rained out at work, come home and nothing,18 miles,so I mowed the lawn. Or some of it,mostly the shady spots
636ad245ae4b82d3392aa32af557318b.jpg

Thats not bare dirt

Sent from Hoskey Hills

plcnut

Jesus is LORD
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
What’s your well liner/hole diameter?

Most wells around here that I am aware of or worked on have anywhere from 40’ - 80’ of pipe on them. Liners range from 12” - 36”.

As you said though the ground formation is different from here to there.
The steel casing is 6" ID. It goes down 110'.
Then there is solid rock to 460'.
After that is formation until 600' and it is solid rock to 730'.
We put in a new 4" sch40 PVC liner a few months ago. The liner is hanging, and goes down to 500'.
Static water was at 360'.