High Quality Chainsaw Bars Husqvarna Toys Hockfire Saws

how about a Oklahoma,AR,MO,KS,TX,+IA GTG thread?

KS Plainsman

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
4:24 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Well, they're accurate so far with the weather. We're getting snow, but we're getting wind with it, 35 mph. So, it's a bit hard to tell how much we've got so far, but I'd guess only an inch so far. Scooped the driveway once already, since it was about 5 inches in front of the garage door. I love my fence, but man it makes the wind do some wild stuff in my yard and creates drifts like crazy. According to the radar, she looks to be going to the northeast and we're barely catching the east edge of it. It's a wet snow though. So, that's good.

JimBear

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Next time I’m at the house I’ll check. Tilt wheel?
A local salvage yard to me sells a full steering column, non tilt, for about $40. Tilt type runs about $20 more.
Yes sir, it’s a tilt wheel. I thought I could crawl under it & shift it on the side of the transmission so I could get it to the shop but can’t get it out of park. I will try again tomorrow in the snow & slop…

Thank you.

Last edited:

Workshop

Mastermind Approved!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Yes sir, it’s a tilt wheel. I thought I could crawl under it & shift it on the side of the transmission so I could get it to the shop but can’t get it out of park. I will try again tomorrow in the snow & slop…
Yeah, sounds like the shift tube broke. The thing with shifting it at the trans, if it’s on a slope, the parking pawl will be under a load from the rolling weight of the vehicle. It might require a pair of channel locks to get it to move. Make sure the emergency brake is applied or somebody holding the brake pedal down while your doing this or the truck could roll unexpectedly.
Standard practice of parking a vehicle with an automatic has always been just stop the vehicle and put it in park. That little bit of roll you feel before the vehicle locks is a cogged gear at the tail of the trans rotating a little until the parking pawl drops into the cog opening. Which creates a binding pressure on the pawl.
The proper way to put a vehicle in park with an automatic trans is to stop the vehicle, keep your foot on the brake and set the emergency brake, then put the shift lever in park. This keeps the vehicle from doing that slight roll and putting pressure on the pawl which, over time, is the cause of the shift tube breaking. Good ol’ cast pit metal.

JimBear

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Yeah, sounds like the shift tube broke. The thing with shifting it at the trans, if it’s on a slope, the parking pawl will be under a load from the rolling weight of the vehicle. It might require a pair of channel locks to get it to move. Make sure the emergency brake is applied or somebody holding the brake pedal down while your doing this or the truck could roll unexpectedly.
Standard practice of parking a vehicle with an automatic has always been just stop the vehicle and put it in park. That little bit of roll you feel before the vehicle locks is a cogged gear at the tail of the trans rotating a little until the parking pawl drops into the cog opening. Which creates a binding pressure on the pawl.
The proper way to put a vehicle in park with an automatic trans is to stop the vehicle, keep your foot on the brake and set the emergency brake, then put the shift lever in park. This keeps the vehicle from doing that slight roll and putting pressure on the pawl which, over time, is the cause of the shift tube breaking. Good ol’ cast pit metal.

I didn’t have any channel locks but also didn’t want to force it if there some type of electric secondary apparatus.

Thank you sir, I appreciate it.

Hedgerow

ONE OF THE GREATEST.....LONG LEGGED MIDGETS
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag

And now, we know, “The rest of the story”...

Always excellent to not only know “what” is happening, but “why” it’s happening...

KS Plainsman

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Morning fellas. Gona take a good part of the day to get dug out. It's always amazing how much wind can screw up a good snow. A lot of drifts to deal with.

Supposed to get up to 40's and 50's the next few days. So I doubt it will hang around long.

JimBear

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
It’s snowing pretty good here & the wind is gusting to 30mph. I will start shoveling when the snow stops. It’s supposed to be in the 40’s over the weekend into the start of next week, it will be a sloppy miserable mess…

image.jpgimage.jpg

I saw a lot

Here For The Long Haul!
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
My guess is 5-6" snow here. Tried to get to a job downtown but kept getting stuck and the last straw was getting stuck going uphill on a one-way street. Cranked up the JD 180 with blower, hasn't been ran since last late winter, aired the tires and will be heading out to dig out the neighborhood.