High Quality Chainsaw Bars Husqvarna Toys Hockfire Saws

how about a Oklahoma,AR,MO,KS,TX,+IA GTG thread?

KS Plainsman

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
9:30 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
If that lightening strike went deep you may lose some lumber. You might want to saw parallel with strike if possible when milling it.

Thanks for the tip! The bark split straight up the tree, so I think I should be able to stay parallel with that. I appreciate the advice!

Locust Cutter

Air Force Redneck
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Evening all! just got back from a family road trip to Florida. Took the kids to Disney and Universal Studios. I'll never go back to Disney... Those _$$-hats are acting more like communist china every day. But, we stayed over night on the way down in Gulf-Shores Alabama, and I will definitely go back there again! Also went to Cocoa Beach and swam for a bit, and that was great! Hayden is having another surgery this Thursday, (although Arthroscopic this time!!) because some of that tumor came back. We figured between the 'rona panic, and the pending surgery, we were getting the heck outta Dodge for a bit and enjoy some down time.

Dad and I also have been cutting Hedge on a property in a good friend's family that's only 8 miles away. I've hauled 2x dump trailers out and His Uncle has hauled 4x loads with a 6x10' dump. It's been a chore and a half though, as a tornado messed a lot of the canopies up, and entangled them. To remove one, you have to fell it, (about 1/2 way), make a cut about 2 log lengths up from the stump and cut through again to drop the butt on the ground, then hook on with the tractor and pull the m'fer outward, until it's on the ground... But, there's probably 12 more loads I'm going to knock out (or more), so it is what it is... Definitely a lot of analysis though, prior to making a felling cut, sizing up not only the tree, but the surrounding trees, an cutting escape paths.

How's everyone doing? Congrats Steve on your Daughter's wedding!!! I am both looking forward to and dreading that day myself.

Hedgerow

ONE OF THE GREATEST.....LONG LEGGED MIDGETS
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
That or ether starting fluid maybe.

There is no sign of a piston stop been used on it.

Run on 30% nitro model airplane fuel?

As thin as a 017 piston crown is I would have expected it to break long before the rod bending.
I got saw that run 30% nitro...
Bent rods have yet to happen., I saw that 018 rod of yours, and something made me wonder “how”????

Surely something should have broken before bending a rod on a 2 stroke..????
Color me impressed....

Hedgerow

ONE OF THE GREATEST.....LONG LEGGED MIDGETS
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Evening all! just got back from a family road trip to Florida. Took the kids to Disney and Universal Studios. I'll never go back to Disney... Those _$$-hats are acting more like communist china every day. But, we stayed over night on the way down in Gulf-Shores Alabama, and I will definitely go back there again! Also went to Cocoa Beach and swam for a bit, and that was great! Hayden is having another surgery this Thursday, (although Arthroscopic this time!!) because some of that tumor came back. We figured between the 'rona panic, and the pending surgery, we were getting the heck outta Dodge for a bit and enjoy some down time.

Dad and I also have been cutting Hedge on a property in a good friend's family that's only 8 miles away. I've hauled 2x dump trailers out and His Uncle has hauled 4x loads with a 6x10' dump. It's been a chore and a half though, as a tornado messed a lot of the canopies up, and entangled them. To remove one, you have to fell it, (about 1/2 way), make a cut about 2 log lengths up from the stump and cut through again to drop the butt on the ground, then hook on with the tractor and pull the m'fer outward, until it's on the ground... But, there's probably 12 more loads I'm going to knock out (or more), so it is what it is... Definitely a lot of analysis though, prior to making a felling cut, sizing up not only the tree, but the surrounding trees, an cutting escape paths.

How's everyone doing? Congrats Steve on your Daughter's wedding!!! I am both looking forward to and dreading that day myself.

Take this from someone who knows...

When dealing with hedge trees..

More machine.... Less saw guy... It’s worth any extra time or inconvenience in the long run.

Hinerman

Mastermind Approved!
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
In case some of you haven’t had a chance to see the Northern Lights, here is what they looked like last night in Northern MN!
Always a treat.
020142c59ae68a0c63212a78de73f816.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Amazing. I have never seen them before.

Fishnuts2

Here For The Long Haul!
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Amazing. I have never seen them before.

The best part is that the rays can shoot up overhead and go across the sky in sort of wave like fashion. Pictures don’t do it justice. A video would give the proper perspective.

JimBear

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
The best part is that the rays can shoot up overhead and go across the sky in sort of wave like fashion. Pictures don’t do it justice. A video would give the proper perspective.

Pictures are great, video is better but I’m not sure it does them any justice either. I remember seeing them the first time with just white light, that was pretty cool but seeing them in living color when I was in North Dakota was awe inspiring.

JimBear

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
View attachment 287900

Milling some crude 2x8x10 from a hackberry log.
Goofy wood, but they should work..

https://nature.mdc.mo.gov/discover-nature/field-guide/common-hackberry

Its an interesting read, I have heard of Sugarberry but didn’t know it was related to Hackberry but the following section caught my eye o_O

STATUS
Until 2009, hackberry and other trees in its genus were placed in the elm family, the Ulmaceae. Nearly all books in print today reflect that understanding. However, scientists are using new tools to study plant relationships, particularly genetic (DNA) testing. In 2009, a group of respected botanists called the Angiosperm Phylogeny Group determined that hackberries are actually more closely related to cannabis and hops, so these are all now in the Cannabaceae, or hemp family.

Cat 525

Mastermind Approved!
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
https://nature.mdc.mo.gov/discover-nature/field-guide/common-hackberry

Its an interesting read, I have heard of Sugarberry but didn’t know it was related to Hackberry but the following section caught my eye o_O

STATUS
Until 2009, hackberry and other trees in its genus were placed in the elm family, the Ulmaceae. Nearly all books in print today reflect that understanding. However, scientists are using new tools to study plant relationships, particularly genetic (DNA) testing. In 2009, a group of respected botanists called the Angiosperm Phylogeny Group determined that hackberries are actually more closely related to cannabis and hops, so these are all now in the Cannabaceae, or hemp family.

10-12 yrs ago l logged alot of hackberry. The mill was sawing it 2" thick and shipping to Saudi Arabia. They would cover it in the desert for a couple weeks to dry it and then build with it.