northwest saws

Super OPE Member
GoldMember
Local time
2:55 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Understand. That's what I've come to find out, or they got yanked off there and tossed. I should probably quit putting it off and go out to the shop and make one. Probably make a couple better dawgs for it while I'm at it. That's one thing that has baffled me with those saws, Homelite made these big ol powerheads and put the wimpiest dawgs on that they possibly could. They don't come close to cutting it(pun intended) with the thick barked Doug fir, grand and Larch we got over here.

Sent from my SM-N970U using Tapatalk

Duke Thieroff

Fill your hands you SOB!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
9-23 I used as a parts donor for some of the starter bits. I didn't really have the technical know-how to repair the starter so I opted to rob some parts from this one, as the over-running bearing setup was working properly. This one is actually almost all complete as well, I just didn't put everything back together , but I have the fan cover, starter parts, handle, etc. I may offer this for sale soon too.

Attachments

• PXL_20230222_220515444.jpg
    PXL_20230222_220515444.jpg
    196.8 KB · Views: 9
  • PXL_20230222_220506945.jpg
    PXL_20230222_220506945.jpg
    202.9 KB · Views: 6
  • PXL_20230222_220501231.jpg
    PXL_20230222_220501231.jpg
    177.3 KB · Views: 5
  • PXL_20230222_220456716.jpg
    PXL_20230222_220456716.jpg
    202.7 KB · Views: 8

edju1958

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Northwest,if you give me a part # I'll look through my inventory & see what I have.

edju1958

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I got the XL-104 today & it's in reasonably great shape for it's age.Only missing a few parts,but I can get them anywhere.The throttle lock pin was partially seized,but a shot of lube took care of that.It has great compression & spark.Missing the fuel line & most likely needs a carb rebuild.I'll try to get pics on here ASAP.

edju1958

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Today after I got home from yet another dr.visit,I hunted up an outer bar plate,A new air filter,a couple of grommets for the air box & fuel tank, a new starter grip (sorry it's a Mac 300 series grip,but the original grips are NLA),& a bar & chain for it that's in much better shape than the one that came with it.I also pulled the carb off for a rebuild & I pulled the reed assembly out too.Good thing I pulled the reeds,the screws that hold the spacer on prior to the reeds were loose.I also cleaned the old crud off the saw.Oh yeah,I pulled the muffler to have a look at the piston & cylinder,the piston has some very light scoring from carbon deposits.Here are a couple of pics.

Attachments

• thumbnail.jpg
    thumbnail.jpg
    134.4 KB · Views: 8
  • thumbnail.jpg
    thumbnail.jpg
    165.3 KB · Views: 9

edju1958

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
The saw is a runner! Yesterday I had a small mishap after rebuilding the carb.I was tightening the screws down on the pump side cover when one of the screws broke off in the carb.I was able to get ahold of a very small tit of metal that was sticking up with my thumbnail & turn it back out.I wasn't able to pressure test the carb as I didn't have the correct hose,or the adapter to put on the carb.I opted to try it & got lucky.The saw fired up on the 14th pull,but was running erratically.I tried adjusting the carb & had no success.I remembered that I'd put my last used CJ6 plug in it & thought maybe it might be bad.I pulled that plug out & put in the CJ8 that came with the saw & it fired right up & ran like a champ.It has great throttle response & idles well.I'll finish up with a few odds-n-ends today like putting a new duck bill in the fuel cap,put the choke rod back on,& put the bar & chain back on.I also ran a new fuel line & filter yesterday as well.

edju1958

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I must've gotten at least 20 of the small Homies running again over the past few months.Quite easy to work on once ya get the hang of it.

RonaldT

Well-Known OPE Member
Local time
1:55 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
If we lived closer, I would bring you 20 more...

Sent from my E7110 using Tapatalk

Loony661

Stock chainsaws suck.
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Alright guys, looking for some info: I just bought a Super XL 925 from a distant family member who’s moving into town. I’m too young to have seen/used/know about these older units. I know enough to realize that these were some great saws in their day, but that’s where my knowledge ends on them. Grew up with Stihl’s and that’s all I had ever owned until today..

Quick gooogle search tells me it’s 82cc’s. I see it looks to have a manual oiler? Also no brake. I had primed it with a little fuel and it ran on that, but would not sustain running. Are carb kits still available for these? What are your thoughts gentlemen?

Stump Shot

Disciple of Monkey's
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Alright guys, looking for some info: I just bought a Super XL 925 from a distant family member who’s moving into town. I’m too young to have seen/used/know about these older units. I know enough to realize that these were some great saws in their day, but that’s where my knowledge ends on them. Grew up with Stihl’s and that’s all I had ever owned until today..

Quick gooogle search tells me it’s 82cc’s. I see it looks to have a manual oiler? Also no brake. I had primed it with a little fuel and it ran on that, but would not sustain running. Are carb kits still available for these? What are your thoughts gentlemen?
According to my Homelite repair guide it should have on it a Tillotson HS carburetor. So, yes Tillotson makes kits for them yet as well as other makers.

Maintenance Chief

Disrupting the peace with an old chainsaw
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag

It's basically a HS tillotson, but more than likely governed.
These saws are on par with most 80cc saws of the day , Poulan 5400,Pro Mac 800, etc.
They are a reed valve and the intake block can be a Dick, the seals are still pretty common, 6119 I believe?
Thing is you can freshen it up with new rings disable the governor and they will really fly! ,but thats dangerous territory that alot of these saws got into.
The 944vi which is the same saw but antivibe I rebuilt ,had enough skirt on the piston to do a bgd . That saw is very strong.
They have a gear drive automatic oiler also.

fossil

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag

They do have a non adjustable auto oiler as well as a manual oiler. Oddly, the repair manual states no auto oiler which is wrong.

They were actually built with a number of 82cc and 77cc cylinders. There was an issue with burning up on the original cylinder so it was replaced under warranty with a 77cc cylinder.

The original cylinder which produced the most power, is easily identified by not have a bridge in the exhaust port,

The carb was an HS 151 which has special tuning instructions for the high needle which are attached.

Due to the governor on the carb, tune in wood.
Homelite_HS151A_Governed_XL900Series_Carburetor_Adjustment_Instructions_zps34bd76ce.jpg

Loony661

Stock chainsaws suck.
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
They do have a non adjustable auto oiler as well as a manual oiler. Oddly, the repair manual states no auto oiler which is wrong.

They were actually built with a number of 82cc and 77cc cylinders. There was an issue with burning up on the original cylinder so it was replaced under warranty with a 77cc cylinder.

The original cylinder which produced the most power, is easily identified by not have a bridge in the exhaust port,

The carb was an HS 151 which has special tuning instructions for the high needle which are attached.

Due to the governor on the carb, tune in wood.
View attachment 372004
Awesome information, thank you!

PogoInTheWoods

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I had primed it with a little fuel and it ran on that, but would not sustain running. Are carb kits still available for these? What are your thoughts gentlemen?

My thought is that it will probably stay running with a few more primes and some fresh fuel in the tank. Even stiff diaphragms can soften up enough to get an older saw running once they see fuel. It may not idle well, or at all, but you may be surprised.

Loony661

Stock chainsaws suck.
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
My thought is that it will probably stay running with a few more primes and some fresh fuel in the tank. Even stiff diaphragms can soften up enough to get an older saw running once they see fuel. It may not idle well, or at all, but you may be surprised.
I did just this: drained and flushed the fuel tank, added fresh mix. Removed the air filters and cleaned them. Primed the carb with a syringe, she popped in a couple pulls and runs. Replaced spark plug, adjusted idle up just a bit, installed the air filters, and let it idle outside the shop for 15 minutes. Runs great! Vibrates like a SOB though! Ha!