HOMELITE Homelite Thread

Al Smith

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
9:19 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Those little baby super 2 and xl 2 they sold a zillion of them for about 90 bucks a pop .One of them .forgot which had a points ignition system that the points and condenser was a unit on a plate mounting gizmo .The condenser is the failure point problem was findig one small enough to fit in the space provided .I have at least one of each model which like so many are just shelf queens .I might add I also have a pair of Stinl MS 200 T's .which of course I'd rather use ,no brainer .

fossil

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I did just this: drained and flushed the fuel tank, added fresh mix. Removed the air filters and cleaned them. Primed the carb with a syringe, she popped in a couple pulls and runs. Replaced spark plug, adjusted idle up just a bit, installed the air filters, and let it idle outside the shop for 15 minutes. Runs great! Vibrates like a SOB though! Ha!

They do vibrate a lot. I wear padded work gloves when running those old solid mount saws. Cushions your hands when you do that. Tons of torque on those old saws.

Keeps white finger at bay.

edju1958

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I've got a bit of a problem with the clutch on my XL-104 that I bought over the winter.Th0e other day I fired up the saw & noticed the chain hardly moved when I throttled it up.I pulled the clutch off the other day & saw the shoes were worn down to paper thin.I looked up the part # for the shoes on the IPL & saw that supposedly I had them in stock,part # 63670.When I got the shoes out of the box I noticed a big difference.The 63670 is smaller than the original shoe.I can't seem to find another part # that was used with a bigger shoe.The back plate measures 2 13/16 across.
Duh,I forgot the pics.

Attachments

• thumbnail.jpg
    thumbnail.jpg
    117.5 KB · Views: 9
  • thumbnail.jpg
    thumbnail.jpg
    91.2 KB · Views: 8
Last edited:

trooney

Admitted Woodaholic
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
New to Homelight here. Got a buddy's Super 2 that I'm tearing down to hopefully get it running again. A question about the plastic tank. The ipl shows a duckbill valve to vent the gas tank, but this one doesnt have a vent in the tank or cap that I can see. How the heck does it keep from locking up like that? Its got to have a vent somewhere? Appreciate any info...

PogoInTheWoods

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Should be a hole next to the fill neck for the duckbill (one of the pink ones). It's basically just kept in place by the starter cover. Great design.

lehman live edge slab

Live Action
Local time
8:19 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
New to Homelight here. Got a buddy's Super 2 that I'm tearing down to hopefully get it running again. A question about the plastic tank. The ipl shows a duckbill valve to vent the gas tank, but this one doesnt have a vent in the tank or cap that I can see. How the heck does it keep from locking up like that? Its got to have a vent somewhere? Appreciate any info...
think that saw has a crankcase vacuum operated pump so if the diaphragm gos bad they will burn bar oil

PogoInTheWoods

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I happened to coincidentally have a buddy's 180 on the bench today and discovered one of the black 98819 duckbills instead of a pink 69451 and think that's actually the norm. They're smaller diameter and longer, but a pink one will obviously work by carefully enlarging the hole slightly.

Homie Duckbill.jpg

mirage

Super OPE Member
GoldMember
Local time
7:19 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
A guy I know brought me a XL12 saw to work on. It would not start . Puled the plug out and I have never seen a plug like it before. It was safe the side of a standard plug and had a small rubber cap that went over a little spike looking electro. I cleaned the funny plug and it cranked right up. I thought the plug was broken. Anyone know if you can find these plugs? I will try and take a picture of it when he brings me his other saw to work on.

old 040

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I never gave much thought about these JD/Homies, worked on several over the years when they'd come in the service center for repairs, but never had one out in the wild to actually cut with until yesterday. I got this little 2.0 version about two weeks ago together with another saw I was mainly after, decided to throw it on my wheeler and go cut up some smaller blow downs along my trails. Was somewhat surprised how well it worked for what it is, after cutting pretty hard with it, it always idled right back down and stayed steady. After cutting a good size load with it, I figured it would be time for re-fueling and more bar oil, opened the gas cap to find about a half a tank still in it, so I continued by dropping a smaller (about 8" at the bottom and about 35' tall) dead Ash tree, got it down with no issues and cut up the whole tree, the saw still had fuel left. I cut more than I had planned to and I got tired before the saw did...lol....I have it listed for sale, but may just hold on to it for now, other than needing to re-adjust the chain a few times, I couldn't find any bad words for it......;):thumbsup:20230902_143234.jpg;):)