Staff member
GoldMember
Local time
11:45 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Indeed.

What's sad is when someone actually says the right thing, then gets trashed by all the "experts".
The worst advice I ever saw was on a thread about how to determine pushrod length in a performance engine.

Powerstroke Cowboy

Pinnacle OPE Member
GoldMember
Local time
10:45 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
The worst advice I ever saw was on a thread about how to determine pushrod length in a performance engine.
Well, that's over my education level. Never had to learn how. I'm sure it's simple but delicate.

drf256

Dr. Richard Cranium
GoldMember
Local time
12:45 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Not in the mental image I'm seeing. The top of the crankshaft.....spinning rapidly toward the front....intake charge enters directly on top of spinning crank.....propels charge toward the front transfer entrance.
I used to thing the same thing, ‘cept it should pull it away at an equal rate. Look at the 462.

Steve did that pressure experiment a few years ago, around the same time he disproved the lack of impulse line need theory at WOT. IIRC, he showed positive case pressure with a bit of needle wiggling.

Al Smith

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Forums in general you always can get one or two who try to blow smoke up somebodies azz .You have to seperate the wheat from the chaff or the horse chit from the gravey depending on how you look at it . It doesn't do any good to lock horns with them because it just drives you down to their level .If you can't ignore them , block them . Simple as that .

huskihl

Muh fingers look really big
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Here we try our best to keep up on accurate info. Inaccuracies get called out for the most part. Most of the fb groups I’ve been in are phuked for correct info and can’t be fixed. Everything gets lost in the format because no one has to scroll through the whole thread to post.

Stump Shot

Disciple of Monkey's
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I used to thing the same thing, ‘cept it should pull it away at an equal rate. Look at the 462.

Steve did that pressure experiment a few years ago, around the same time he disproved the lack of impulse line need theory at WOT. IIRC, he showed positive case pressure with a bit of needle wiggling.
Gotta have them wiggles...

...I try and spread factual information when I can, doesn't matter much, no one listens to me anyways. LOL

82f100swb

Super OPE Member
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Built this thing out of a box of parts I almost threw away multiple times in the past two years.
20230415_224940.jpg

It runs like this:

That's a 3/8 20" setup in some white birch that's been drying 3-4 years.
It is unported in that video, just base gasket delete. .0465 squish, 105/119/74.

Powerstroke Cowboy

Pinnacle OPE Member
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
The mufflers been ported.

Did you get the crank balanced?

Mastermind

Chief Cat Herder
Staff member
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
The mufflers been ported.

Did you get the crank balanced?
Balance on a single cylinder engine.....not actually possible.

Complete balancing of reciprocating masses by adding rotating mass is not possible. Complete balancing of single cylinder reciprocating engine is not possible.

LBracing

Well-Known OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Balance on a single cylinder engine.....not actually possible.

Complete balancing of reciprocating masses by adding rotating mass is not possible. Complete balancing of single cylinder reciprocating engine is not possible.
Although balancing like a multi cylinder engine is not possible, it is crucial to have a correct balance factor wich is basically a ratio of reciprocating mass vs counterweight . That ratio is typically anywhere from 50-60% .

When modifying an original crank into full circle like posted above , it should be rebalanced as the mod reduces the balance factor and increase vibration , wich well ... cost power defeating purpose of said mod in the first place .

Husqvarna factory full circles on the other hand with their extra light cups only affect balance factor by around 3% wich is why they get away with using the same crank and only adding or removing cups .

Very first crank I built from scratch about 10 years ago I had no clue what balance factor was and covers would fall off the saw just blipping the throtle so bad it vibrated 😂

2 stroke stuffing did a pretty simple easy to understand video on youtube showing what is and how to measure balance factor for ghose interested .

Powerstroke Cowboy

Pinnacle OPE Member
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Learn something new everyday they say. Well, today I just learned something new. 👍

Mastermind

Chief Cat Herder
Staff member
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Although balancing like a multi cylinder engine is not possible, it is crucial to have a correct balance factor wich is basically a ratio of reciprocating mass vs counterweight . That ratio is typically anywhere from 50-60% .

When modifying an original crank into full circle like posted above , it should be rebalanced as the mod reduces the balance factor and increase vibration , wich well ... cost power defeating purpose of said mod in the first place .

Husqvarna factory full circles on the other hand with their extra light cups only affect balance factor by around 3% wich is why they get away with using the same crank and only adding or removing cups .

Very first crank I built from scratch about 10 years ago I had no clue what balance factor was and covers would fall off the saw just blipping the throtle so bad it vibrated 😂

2 stroke stuffing did a pretty simple easy to understand video on youtube showing what is and how to measure balance factor for ghose interested .

Thank you for posting this. Way above my pay grade.

Stump Shot

Disciple of Monkey's
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Thank you for posting this. Way above my pay grade.
I think when they talk about balancing a single cylinder crankshaft, that is a bit of a misnomer in that what is actually being balanced is the entire rotating assembly, the crankshaft along with complete piston with rings etc..

82f100swb

Super OPE Member
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I actually got extremely lucky when it comes to the balance factor on this one. It vibrates considerably less than a stock saw, and I honestly didn't do anything beyond truing it on the lathe.

As for the muffler mod, what I meant is the cylinder itself is unmodified.

Al Smith

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
You can open a big can of worms if you get into balancing .Things like resonant frequency come into equation .You want to run something that will rattle the teeth out of your head try a 10-10 Mac and it's a rigid mount engine to boot .Odd though because a 700 Mac which just has a larger bore doesn't do that or at least not as badly .

82f100swb

Super OPE Member
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
You want to run something that will rattle the teeth out of your head try a 10-10 Mac and it's a rigid mount engine to boot . .
I have one of those... I don't know how many Mac guys have tried to convince me the 10-10 is smooth and doesn't need AV...

Al Smith

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I have one of those... I don't know how many Mac guys have tried to convince me the 10-10 is smooth and doesn't need AV...
Not do or do as much .I have one of the last ever made which is 57cc instead of 54 .I don't use it that much because it's a show piece but it doesn't rattle as much . I'm not certain if the later models used the windowed pistons of the earlier or more like 700 .