b3926e9be7f210c422beec9c35cd92a0.jpg

Swanman62

Well-Known OPE Member
Local time
2:44 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Some guys can eyeball fairly well. Most that claim to be good get fouled up when the diameter of the log gets fatter than the desired log length. 32” rounds look like cookies when you cut them 16”. The skinny end tends to get long too. I am super picky both because my stove hates anything over 18” and because I like to stack high. Quite a few years ago a friend lent me his Mingo Firewood Marker. Look them up. Upside down paint costs money, but the things are accurate and fast. I have bought a few for friends.

birdmeter

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
3:44 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
if it will fit in the splitter it will fit the fire box to heat. the wood cook stove needs to be 14 inch or shorter . wood cook stove burns any time temperature will let us. cooking on a wood stove not for everybody but once you have one you won't want to be without one.

Swanman62

Well-Known OPE Member
Local time
2:44 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I haven’t tried one. I really don’t think that it would be any faster. The mingo marks as fast as you can run down the log. Then there is no crap hanging off of the saw. Just buck the log and grab another. The only drawback for me is that I cut with a guy that insists on 19” logs. The wheels on the marker are limited to 6”, 12”, 14”, 16”, 18”, 20”, and 24”. And yes we are that picky and we like to move fast. We do his with a custom stick. Either mark with an axe or a quick zing with the saw. Much faster with the paint marker.

Philbert

Chainsaw Enthusiast
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Again: choices. The Mingo Marker is very popular, and has a lot of followers in these threads.

I really like the simplicity of these magnetic sticks: Simple. Easy. Cheap. No paint to buy, or wheels to change. Take up almost no space. Easy on, easy off. Measure to any length with a piece of tape: heck, you can even cut metric firewood up in Canada!

Philbert

Last edited:

I saw a lot

Here For The Long Haul!
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Made a couple last weekend using some magnets we had laying around. For the rod I took one of my old wire pulling fiberglass rods that have metal on the ends to screw them together. One is cut at 16" the other 18". Seem to be working, but haven't used them much yet. At least I don't really have anything in them if they don't work out.
Will try to post a picture when I get in the pickup.

Bilge Rat

Here For The Long Haul!
GoldMember
Local time
4:44 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I have an extendable magnet that fits in your pocket. Most tool trucks have them.
It extends like an antenna on an old transistor radio. Extended length is 25"
push in one section it's 22", two sections is 18" Push in 3 sections is 15"

Put it in your pocket with a crayon and you are good to go.

Spike60

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Got this simple idea from a buddy: Get a small piece of trim wood and cut it to desired length. Walk down the log with a piece of playground chalk and mark it off as you go. Keep one in each truck, one on the quad. And if you lose one, just make another.

I think most guys are pretty good at cutting to their usual length without any gizmo like that. On the 16" I've been cutting for 30 years, I'm really close without marking. But when trying to cut to a different length than usual, most guys will drift back towards what they are used to.

RI Chevy

Mastermind Approved!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I use the fiberglass rods that are used for marking roads in winter. When they break, I cut them into size. Thin, light weight, etc.
One could also use small pieces of pex tubing as well.
I can cut my logs fairly close to 16", but I just prefer to measure. Takes all the guesswork out of it. Guaranteed to fit in my stove. Lol
I also have one of the magnetic fiberglass rods as well...

Philbert

Chainsaw Enthusiast
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Ran Across A Similar Idea In A YouTube Video:

He uses 1" PVC pipe, which is sturdy, but easier to get knocked off than the more flexible wands.

Philbert

RI Chevy

Mastermind Approved!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Shows video unavailable to me.

Wood Chopper

So so sleepy....
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
upload_2020-12-3_13-17-4.png upload_2020-12-3_13-18-27.jpeg

This is the only gizmo that turns me on lately. We have the Mingo and it works great most of the time. The paint cans have frozen or stuck open. I have the magnet sticks where I have made ticks all the way down the log and put it in my back pocket (falls out) or hoodie pocket (falls out), when I start to buck. Lately, I hold a stick over the handlebar under my hand or I bite it between cuts lol. The wood has to be darn close to 16 for most of my customers. Many times I have the luxury of holding the log with an excavator with a thumb. So it's grab, buck, get in and grab another log if I'm alone. What I like about it is when it's in your way or you don't need it for a bit, it just swings to the side. So if I'm cutting in a log pile it's still attached but out of the way.

This is called the Jober Teflon Measuring Rod. Supposedly is a Husqvarna part # but not available in the U.S.?

Husqvarna part number 531 3089 31

Cutters Choice website says no longer available also. I even called Timmerman's in Canada and they are sold out, due to the video I'm sure lol. I'm gonna make a couple this weekend.

Here is the video where I saw it.

Philbert

Chainsaw Enthusiast
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I have the magnet sticks where I have made ticks all the way down the log and put it in my back pocket (falls out) or hoodie pocket (falls out), when I start to buck.
One of the companies includes a small, metal, snap hook that you are supposed to stick to a belt loop, and hang the magnetic stick from.

I have not had a problem with it in my back pocket, or setting it down next to my saw buck, but it was for shorter logs than you may be cutting.

Philbert