Muh fingers look really big
GoldMember
Local time
11:48 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
View attachment 311593

There's pics somewhere or other on here from a few years ago, this stuff gets easily lost in the shuffle.
I wrote up a blurb about it but don't think I bothered posting it as it didn't generate much interest at the time.
Hats off to you Bill. She’s a beauty

Woodpecker

Sassy Madam
Staff member
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
The middle of the land shaped like a hand
Country flag
A clapped out (or any) RSII can become quite a nice machine with the srcarr mods.
Problem is people usually want just as much for a clapped out one as a nice one...
Very true. @srcarr52 ’s work speaks for itself! I have no problem paying clapped out price for a clapped out Silvey and rebuilding, but they are going for silly money right now.

Bill If you ever have the desire to make another grinder I’d gladly buy one! You really did a nice job!

srcarr52

Shop rat, backyard slice cutter.
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
View attachment 311593

There's pics somewhere or other on here from a few years ago, this stuff gets easily lost in the shuffle.
I wrote up a blurb about it but don't think I bothered posting it as it didn't generate much interest at the time.

Making a complete grinder is on my backlog of things to do. So anything you'd like to see done differently or any suggestions are welcome.

davidwyby

Tree felling enthusiast
GoldMember
Local time
8:48 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I do not want to step on anyone's toes, and don't have any interest in trying to figure out how to make a grinder, but if you want help making parts from drawings, we will be glad to. Looking at these grinders, I don't see a way to make them without them being expensive, it's just what it takes.

I saw a billet alum round grinder at madsen's for $3600!

BlacknTan

Super OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
View attachment 311593

THAT"S what I'm talkin' about!

Also like the @srcarr52 conversion of the Razursharp ll with the linear bearings.

That said, I'm not sure it's worth it to me enough to spend north of $3K, nut 2K .. maybe. I'll spend for high quality tooling.

BTW, where can I see the USG conversion?

Last edited:

davidwyby

Tree felling enthusiast
GoldMember
Local time
8:48 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Was thinking the other day while playing with angles: the top plate angle is actually the indication of how thin, sharp, or knifelike the side cutter is - and the hook in the side cutter is actually the indication of how thin/sharp the top of the cutter is…and how aggressively it’s going to want to bite (self feed, or grab/stall if you put too much in). It seems to me that if you want to get quite a bit of bite, you would do well to also make the top plate angle and therefore the side cutter angle sharper to more easily slice off the larger bite that the top cutter grabbed…and if you’re gonna put bite in the cutter geometry, don’t take the rakers down much.

Last edited:

RI Chevy

Mastermind Approved!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Hand filed or ground?

Homemade

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
View attachment 316253
25°-55°-0° puts a good hook on the tooth, cuts pretty fast. northern tool grinder & cheap pink wheel does a decent job. I'm still on the fence for a CBN wheel.

If you plan on sticking with round, a cbn wheel is worth the investment. I was on the fence too. Now I don’t get any burnt cutters unless I really hogging material. And the fact that don’t have to dress the wheel is nice.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk