JohnnyBlade

JUST GONNA SEND IT
GoldMember
Local time
3:57 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Yeah some guy in a trashy looking back yard in the dark with a headlight on in shorts and flip flops, no shirt, and emulegs…or as I call them, skankles. - cutting silly small little 8” dia cookies.

I want a @huskihl chain toooooo…

@wcorey very interested in your home brew grinder.
Lol! I assumed u ran the chain u wer talking about on the 630......while on video:D

davidwyby

Tree felling enthusiast
GoldMember
Local time
1:57 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Lol! I assumed u ran the chain u wer talking about on the 630......while on video:D
I did. Well nah I prolly didn’t video that. But it happened.

here is the 630. Aggressive mostly worn hand filed, not the USG ground. Hopefully 2 series shootout and testing this weekend. I got too many saws, gotta decide what to keep and what to sell! -And test some weak ignition parts.

That’s athel pine been drying a summer. Not crazy tough but not butter either. Maybe like oak?

JohnnyBlade

JUST GONNA SEND IT
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I did. Well nah I prolly didn’t video that. But it happened.

here is the 630. Aggressive mostly worn hand filed, not the USG ground. Hopefully 2 series shootout and testing this weekend. I got too many saws, gotta decide what to keep and what to sell! -And test some weak ignition parts.

Glad its runnin good! she held rpm well in that gnarly old dry wood! What species were ya cuttin in the video?

JohnnyBlade

JUST GONNA SEND IT
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
That’s athel pine been drying a summer. Not crazy tough but not butter either. Maybe like oak?
Thats kinda what it looks like to me. Has that bigger open pore look like oak. That was 18” bar? So 16” log? Not bad for no mods. Ive seen the Trifecta on a 630 before and its pretty impressive for an in the garage modded saw.
Did u have a dog on it in the video? It didnt look like it.

davidwyby

Tree felling enthusiast
GoldMember
Local time
1:57 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Thats kinda what it looks like to me. Has that bigger open pore look like oak. That was 18” bar? So 16” log? Not bad for no mods. Ive seen the Trifecta on a 630 before and its pretty impressive for an in the garage modded saw.
Did u have a dog on it in the video? It didnt look like it.
20” bar…no dogs or feed pressure, chain aggressiveness is doing all the loading.
What’s the trifecta?

JohnnyBlade

JUST GONNA SEND IT
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I think the 630 will stay stock as it’s pretty clean

the kinda rough looking 670 I got, however…
So just so i can contribute to the thread....:D
I dont know how fast ya want in a round but the cutting we do here is all hardwood. Every once in a while a pine...speed wood...file or grind i like a 25 degree top plate and .025 on the rakers. Thats my recipe and it throws chips well. Keeps my saws were they like to be. StYs sharper longer than 30 degrees. I like to think they r pretty fast. And u should send me some pics of the 670:D

Moparmyway

Its just a saw
GoldMember
Local time
4:57 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
What I'm about to say here is purely the opinion of someone who has worked a lifetime in the metalworking industry.

I've been going back and forth about grinders for years, but never bit the hook. The USG looks about the highest quality unit to be had, to me. Honestly, maybe the Simington does the job, but the workmanship on that machine leaves me wanting more. Looks to be all thin, cheap castings... motor needs to be shimmed, stops loose as a Goose's stool. Dressers just seem to be clamped on the threads. I can't seem to warm up to it.

Still hashing out how much faster the Simington chain could be over something one could get off a USG.... and, if it's enough to be much of a difference to me?

You have experience with the grinders and I don't, so my thoughts don't mean much. But, I just can't see where the difference in side plate angle, where the cutter only needs to shave a chip .030 thick, will make that great a difference. Now the top plate angle on square may last longer... that I can see. Smoother? Perhaps....
I need to be able to try properly ground square.

Do you have a square grinder, BTW?
I've got bot kinds of grinders, a Simington and a 511a

1. The Simington takes me about 25% longer to finish sharpening and filing (gullets) than the 511a
a. Reason for this is that I scrutinize each tooth from the Simington, as I believe there are lots of inconsistencies in any chain itself
b. The 511a with the CBN wheel doesnt care about getting the "perfect corner" so in its nature, it will be faster to sharpen
2. The 511a has consistently given me great results, including when using my diamond wheel and sharpening Stihl carbide chain
3. There's some very good reasons why I continue to sharpen every single full chisel chain of mine with my Simington and NOT the 511a
a. Faster cutting
b. less fuel used
c. smoother cutting
d. lasts longer between sharpenings
e. pictures of the cutter look soooo much better than rounded full chisel :D

Woodpecker

Sassy Madam
Staff member
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
The middle of the land shaped like a hand
Country flag
The USG square conversion kit has bolt on dressers and replaces the whole vice floorplate with one that pivots sideways.
What any chop saw/swinging wheel style round grinder lacks for doing square is the ability to move the chain cutter sideways into and back from the grinder wheel (or vise versa). There's just no way to do true square by swinging the wheel down into the cutter, at least with everything I've tried.

After years of not finding any sort of reasonable (read cheap, lol) deal on a square grinder, I was going to fab up a USG conversion but finally ended up doing a homemade RSII sort of clone.
Not a day after I cut my first chain on it, found a crazy deal on both a Prosharp AND an RSII.
Was both happy and a bit pissed at the same time.
That said, I much prefer my homemade one so wasn't a waste after all...

would love to see pics or a thread about your home cooked square grinder. Sounds pretty cool.

wcorey

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
sq grinder 01.JPG

There's pics somewhere or other on here from a few years ago, this stuff gets easily lost in the shuffle.
I wrote up a blurb about it but don't think I bothered posting it as it didn't generate much interest at the time.

Woodpecker

Sassy Madam
Staff member
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
The middle of the land shaped like a hand
Country flag
View attachment 311593

There's pics somewhere or other on here from a few years ago, this stuff gets easily lost in the shuffle.
I wrote up a blurb about it but don't think I bothered posting it as it didn't generate much interest at the time.
Wow that is excellent! I’d be interested in a write up about it. I have a simington 451, but like others wish for something more high quality. Not however, interested in paying primo+ doll hairs for a clapped out silvy.

Duane(Pa)

It's the chain...
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I am about half obsessed with chain and grinders... One factor regarding these grinders is their age, and more so, the age of the design. They're old, and have had no improvements made at the manufacturing level since almost day one. I have always been baffled by the mix of coarse and fine thread fasteners in seemingly reverse order of importance. (fine thread mounting bolt, coarse thread adjuster)o_O

Shaun and Bill, being engineers, have made some very nice improvements. Truthfully, anyone in this thread is sure to be more esoteric about saw chain than the loggers these things were built to suit back in the day...

Moparmyway

Its just a saw
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
View attachment 311593

THAT is a work of art !!!!