Red97

Mastermind Approved!
GoldMember
Local time
1:02 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I wasn't trying to hate on them so please don't take it that way. I just wasn't instantly smitten when I picked the saw up the way I was with the 346xp or 562. Knowing that they're VERY well built and having seen what they can do though, I am impressed. Whether I'm impressed enough to add one to my existing inventory though will be a function of discretionary funds availability, which isn't in the foreseeable future.

I didn't mean you. I understood where you were coming from.
I don't care people can bash the saw all they want. They just don't know what they are missing out on.

Odd transfer design Joe.

I'm thinking I'd open the exhaust side one 3* before the other. I can't see much moving through it once the larger one opens.

How did the factory open them?

It is definitely odd.
Like a closed/open hybrid but with a normal skirted piston.

Both opened same time stock. But the intake transfers is 1/3-1/2 larger area than the ex side. But flowed in at a 45*

I think that was an attempt to flush the combustion chamber. Keep velocity up by a minimal change in direction. Zero "swoop" to the transfer tunnes. Flat/vertical walls. Thank that is what they were trying to achieve with the deep cutout pockets.

I left the intake side at roughly the same 45* and just flattened the very edge.

Now the exhaust side transfer, is flat roofed from factory. Like most saws, I just raisent it where I wanted keeping the flat roof. Tryed to keep a nice smooth transition.

Just doing the water check it appears the exhaust side transfers will block good charge from going out the exhaust, while trapping the intake side charge up in the chamber.

Almost looks as if opening the intake first could benifit the most.

As it would clean all the charge out of the chamber.

Might try staggering the next one.

Tryed flattening the intake transfer roof on the last jug and went through. Hence the reason I kept it on an angle.

jake wells

no longer here
Local time
12:02 AM
User ID
Reaction score
I didn't mean you. I understood where you were coming from.
I don't care people can bash the saw all they want. They just don't know what they are missing out on.

It is definitely odd.
Like a closed/open hybrid but with a normal skirted piston.

Both opened same time stock. But the intake transfers is 1/3-1/2 larger area than the ex side. But flowed in at a 45*

I think that was an attempt to flush the combustion chamber. Keep velocity up by a minimal change in direction. Zero "swoop" to the transfer tunnes. Flat/vertical walls. Thank that is what they were trying to achieve with the deep cutout pockets.

I left the intake side at roughly the same 45* and just flattened the very edge.

Now the exhaust side transfer, is flat roofed from factory. Like most saws, I just raisent it where I wanted keeping the flat roof. Tryed to keep a nice smooth transition.

Just doing the water check it appears the exhaust side transfers will block good charge from going out the exhaust, while trapping the intake side charge up in the chamber.

Almost looks as if opening the intake first could benifit the most.

As it would clean all the charge out of the chamber.

Might try staggering the next one.

Tryed flattening the intake transfer roof on the last jug and went through. Hence the reason I kept it on an angle.
english please i is a dumb hillbilly.

Red97

Mastermind Approved!
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag

@Woodpecker running trigger.

Set round 12,500. May be just a bit fat...

Nice sugar maple.
20" 3/8 stihl rs
With this carb all I can get is 13,200-500 still 4-strokes the same.

100% stock 590 carb limiters and all, with a freshly ground chain.

The ported saw will really wake up with the 620 carb I have in the mail :)

Red97

Mastermind Approved!
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I had a genuinely good time hanging out with ya Joe! The first cookie with the ported saw gave me a good chuckle it was so fat! But that sucker took everything I gave it and asked for more on the second! Great saw Joe!

Definitely going to be bringing it back over once I get the new carb dialed in.

Red97

Mastermind Approved!
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Sounds like a plan! I'll leave that hard maple stub right where it is for further "testing"!

Shame the stupid thing stood up, it was perfect height.

But yes we will finish killing it once I come back.

I just noticed a "tree service " around the corner from me, looked to have 100's of 10-12 ft logs might try to work out a deal with em for a few test logs.

Woodpecker

Sassy Madam
Staff member
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
The middle of the land shaped like a hand
Country flag
Shame the stupid thing stood up, it was perfect height.

But yes we will finish killing it once I come back.

I just noticed a "tree service " around the corner from me, looked to have 100's of 10-12 ft logs might try to work out a deal with em for a few test logs.

They might just be happy to have ya take some wood off their hands for free, if they have that much laying around.

Locust Cutter

Air Force Redneck
Local time
12:02 AM
User ID
Reaction score
The 590 doesn't look bad but the 620 looked very good! Would the carb off of a 680 or 800p help the 620 any further?