Dolmar 421 vs echo 490

SawTroll

Information collector
Local time
11:35 AM
User ID
Reaction score
View attachment 28777

Gotta agree with Corey here , this saw was designed as simondo says for the semi pro user - farmers saw with a open port engine which means more torque and less top end its got six ports which help scavenging and new fuel backing up the chassis on this saw is massive with large transfers which aren't as well designed as other pro models So you ain't gonna get a wild top end with large transfers and a smaller displacement but with some good lathe work miricales happen i haven't tried a gasket delete it probably wouldn't work as well as other saws
But I can't leave my 420 at home it's always in the truck it's a great saw stock or ported

Here's a pic of the 420 cylinder from my saw not great quality

Open ports usually doesn't mean more torque anywhere in the useful rpm range, but usually brings the max performance lower in the rpm range, and making the difference in performance between high and lower rpm feel smaller. This often is the case with close port designs that aren't really good as well.

Of course this isn't totally "black and white" - as there are more or less bad close port designs, and some very good open port ones out there.

Last edited:

Red97

Mastermind Approved!
GoldMember
Local time
5:35 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag

CoreyB

Yep I am your neighborhood coffee man
Local time
4:35 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Sense this thread got resurrected I figured I would share a video I did with chain testing on the 421.
I tested 3/ 8 lp Oregon 91vxl and Stihl ps
As well as .325 Oregon brand new txl and it's predecessor 95vpx

SawTroll

Information collector
Local time
11:35 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Even the latest Echo saws appall me more the more I learn about them, there are some incredibly clumsy design features even in a relatively new design like the 501SX - like a nut outside the sprocket, and not an e-clip, necessitating the use of a piston stop to change the rim.

Then it is unclear what really is the correct bar mount - but they likely want it that way, to sell more of their own overpriced bars....