Mastermind Approved!
GoldMember
Local time
7:18 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I feel it should be mentioned.
The dolmar with just a muffler mod and lo pro chain would be on par/maybe outrun a muffler modded 490 and lo pro.

I have really started to like this stihl ps chain on 50cc an down saws.

If you do not plan to have the saw ported, the dolmar would be my choice.

Idahonative

O.P.E.f.o.r.u.m. Mutt
Local time
5:18 AM
User ID
Reaction score
I feel it should be mentioned.
The dolmar with just a muffler mod and lo pro chain would be on par/maybe outrun a muffler modded 490 and lo pro.

I have really started to like this stihl ps chain on 50cc an down saws.

If you do not plan to have the saw ported, the dolmar would be my choice.

You may be right about that. I will have to do some testing of my stock (MM'd & tuned) 490 against my ported 500p to get an idea how close they are.

The point that has really been made with your 490 porting is this: The 50 and 60cc Echo saws are an often overlooked bargain if a person wants to build a high performance saw. I had a member over on AS tell me once his Echo cs-600p MMWS would outcut a 441 "all day long" and "cut right with a 461" with a 20" bar. That was hard to believe until I had Randy do one for me. So let's take a closer look at the cost vs. weight vs. performance:

cs-600p..........13 lb, 4.8 oz. PHO..........$400 (NIB on Ebay)..........+$300 porting........TTL: $700
ms441.............15 lb, 1.0 oz. PHO......................................................................................TTL: $950
ms461.............14 lb, 15 oz. PHO......................................................................................TTL: $1449

It's true, the ported 600p won't be able to hang with the others with a longer bar/in bigger wood but with a 20 or 24" bar, it's a very strong saw. And your not buying some wrung out POS that you don't know the history of. You've got a brand new, high performance saw for $700. The cs-490 is no different. It's one of the lightest (if not the lightest) mag cased 50cc saws out there. You can pick them up NIB for around $300 on Ebay. With a $300 port job...you have a very light, very powerful, brand new saw for $600. And with both saws, you don't have autotune or mtronic which is a plus in my book. I don't like, want, or need an autotune chainsaw.

Thanks for your contributions Red97. Looking forward to hearing more from you.

Last edited:

CoreyB

Yep I am your neighborhood coffee man
Local time
6:18 AM
User ID
Reaction score
You may be right about that. I will have to do some testing of my stock (MM'd & tuned) 490 against my ported 500p to get an idea how close they are.

The point that has really been made with your 490 porting is this: The 50 and 60cc Echo saws are an often overlooked bargain if a person wants to build a high performance saw. I had a member over on AS tell me once his Echo cs-600p MMWS would outcut a 441 "all day long" and "cut right with a 461" with a 20" bar. That was hard to believe until I had Randy do one for me. So let's take a closer look at the cost vs. weight vs. performance:

cs-600p..........13 lb, 4.8 oz. PHO..........$400 (NIB on Ebay)..........+$300 porting........TTL: $700
ms441.............15 lb, 1.0 oz. PHO......................................................................................TTL: $950
ms461.............14 lb, 15 oz. PHO......................................................................................TTL: $1449

It's true, the ported 600p won't be able to hang with the others with a longer bar but with a 20 or 24" bar, it's a very strong saw. And your not buying some wrung out POS that you don't know the history of. You've got a brand new, high performance saw for $700. The cs-490 is no different. It's one of the lightest (if not the lightest) mag cased 50cc saws out there. You can pick them up NIB for around $300 on Ebay. With a $300 port job...you have a very light, very powerful, brand new saw for $600.

There is also the fact that so many people buy more saw then they need. Don't get me wrong big saws are neat but man after running a big saw all day it sure makes picking up a smaller saw a lot easier. I am of the mindset use the smallest saw for the job.
But that makes it easy for me to talk myself into buying more saws. Lol

Idahonative

O.P.E.f.o.r.u.m. Mutt
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
There is also the fact that so many people buy more saw then they need. Don't get me wrong big saws are neat but man after running a big saw all day it sure makes picking up a smaller saw a lot easier. I am of the mindset use the smallest saw for the job.
But that makes it easy for me to talk myself into buying more saws. Lol

Totally agree Corey.

Red97

Mastermind Approved!
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag

It's true, the ported 600p won't be able to hang with the others with a longer bar/in bigger wood but with a 20 or 24" bar, it's a very strong saw. And your not buying some wrung out POS that you don't know the history of. You've got a brand new, high performance saw for $700. The cs-490 is no different. It's one of the lightest (if not the lightest) mag cased 50cc saws out there. You can pick them up NIB for around $300 on Ebay. With a $300 port job...you have a very light, very powerful, brand new saw for $600. And with both saws, you don't have autotune or mtronic which is a plus in my book. I don't like, want, or need an autotune chainsaw.

590's and 357 on the bench next :)

Gonna do a cs 670 too.

CoreyB

Local time
User ID
Reaction score
I would like to see what you can get out of the 670.
The 590 is a fantastic firewood saw especially if you are on a budget.

Red97

Mastermind Approved!
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I would like to see what you can get out of the 670.
The 590 is a fantastic firewood saw especially if you are on a budget.

Gonna try and make the 670 run with the 044,365,372.

Idahonative

O.P.E.f.o.r.u.m. Mutt
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
590's and 357 on the bench next :)

Gonna do a cs 670 too.

The 590 will be impressive especially for a saw that retails at Home Depot for $399 ($360 with a military discount).

My dad had a 670. I got it when he passed. I wasn't impressed, gave it to my brother. Maybe you will find the magic recipe for it. It was pretty high revving...just didn't have the torque that we are used to with the Echo's. I'm really curious what you can do with it.

Last edited:

exSW

'Cause Thomas is a poopyhead
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
It seems there's not a lot of raving over ported 420/421's. Is that because no ones found the formula or because Dolmar didn't leave much on the table?

Idahonative

O.P.E.f.o.r.u.m. Mutt
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
It seems there's not a lot of raving over ported 420/421's. Is that because no ones found the formula or because Dolmar didn't leave much on the table?

After watching @CoreyB 's 421 vid, I'd say it was the later. Very impressive for only having a MM. Looks to me like, if a person wants a small saw with good stock performance, the 421 is a good option.

Last edited:

Simondo

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
12:18 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Thinking about this situation of getting the most out of the 420/421. That saw out of the box is a open port 42 cc saw of 3.00 hp .
The husqvarna 350 is a open port 50 cc odd saw of 3.1 hp.... Not bad for a standard 42 cc saw output when you look at a 50 cc semi pro saw in relation to it. I only use the 350 example as its a saw i have had a few of so i know they are decent .
That worked over 420/421 .. Now....is going to be higher output than the 50 cc Husqvarna (pretty impressive ) so I would be very ok with that, as really going for it any further over stressing the Dolmar to get more seems "perhaps " ? unnecessary when I personally would go for a bigger cc saw if i felt the Dolmar was running out of puff or bar length.

CoreyB

Local time
User ID
Reaction score
I would guess they didn't leave much on the table.
After watching @CoreyB 's 421 vid, I'd say it was the later. Very impressive for only having a MM. Looks to me like, if a person wants a small saw with good stock performance, the 421 is a good option.
I agree for a stock smaller saw it is great. I love how it very rarely gets compared to saws in its own class but to bigger or pro models, or bigger pro modules. Lol

The limited coil and no other viable options did not help mine reach its full potential.
Limited coils are STUPID! I dislike tuning them and then you run into the problem of having to find a replacement when a guy wants to give them a breathing treatment.
Another thing is undersized carbs and intakes. Some models are so restricted both coming and going it really does a disservice to the saw, the manufacturer, and the owner.
Sorry I went on a tangent.

CoreyB

Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Limited coil make tuning a pain. I found the sweet spot on my 421 and checked it with a tach.....13200k
I have not checked mine with a tach yet just by ear. I am still a smidgen rich. But each tank I lean it out a bit more. I hate the sound of a rich saw. Lol

Backtroller

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Wish I was able to attend the Michigan gtg. Id love for people to try it out. You can definitely feel the difference porting and timing made. The power band feels more useful. More snappy too. If I could whined it up another 1500-2000 rpms it would be perfect. It turns an 18" .325 bar no sweat buried.

CoreyB

Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Wish I was able to attend the Michigan gtg. Id love for people to try it out. You can definitely feel the difference porting and timing made. The power band feels more useful. More snappy too. If I could whined it up another 1500-2000 rpms it would be perfect. It turns an 18" .325 bar no sweat buried.
So many people trust to much in a top # and overlook the usefulness of a great power band with a wide torque curve. Realistically that is where the work gets done. At least in my eyes and cutting preferences.

ajschainsaws

Axes never run out of Gas
GoldMember
Local time
12:18 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
image.jpeg
So many people trust to much in a top # and overlook the usefulness of a great power band with a wide torque curve. Realistically that is where the work gets done. At least in my eyes and cutting preferences.

Gotta agree with Corey here , this saw was designed as simondo says for the semi pro user - farmers saw with a open port engine which means more torque and less top end its got six ports which help scavenging and new fuel backing up the chassis on this saw is massive with large transfers which aren't as well designed as other pro models So you ain't gonna get a wild top end with large transfers and a smaller displacement but with some good lathe work miricales happen i haven't tried a gasket delete it probably wouldn't work as well as other saws
But I can't leave my 420 at home it's always in the truck it's a great saw stock or ported

Here's a pic of the 420 cylinder from my saw not great quality

Last edited: