huskihl

Muh fingers look really big
GoldMember
Local time
5:31 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Pretty slick job on the second deflector on the muff.
I wish it was normal stainless like the back half and I could do a better job yet.

If anybody has an idea of what kind of metal the silver colored front half is and how to silver solder/braze it I’d appreciate it if you let me in on it.

Woodpecker

Sassy Madam
Staff member
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
The middle of the land shaped like a hand
Country flag
I wish it was normal stainless like the back half and I could do a better job yet.

If anybody has an idea of what kind of metal the silver colored front half is and how to silver solder/braze it I’d appreciate it if you let me in on it.
Well it is magnetic so it’s some mixture of ferrous materials at least. Whether it’s a weird lesser grade of stainless or some form of galvanized/aluminized steel I have no clue.

Woodpecker

Sassy Madam
Staff member
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag

Thinking more about this. You might try a zinc chloride based flux. If that doesn’t work try something with a high phosphoric acid content.

huskihl

Muh fingers look really big
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Thinking more about this. You might try a zinc chloride based flux. If that doesn’t work try something with a high phosphoric acid content.
I will look into it. The temperature at which it’s designed for comes in to play also depending on the melting temperature of the filler metal. Thanks, Brad.

farminkarman

I like the red & black ones
GoldMember
Local time
4:31 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Well it is magnetic so it’s some mixture of ferrous materials at least. Whether it’s a weird lesser grade of stainless or some form of galvanized/aluminized steel I have no clue.
Mine sure looks like it is aluminized steel....definitely not any kind of stainless.

farminkarman

I like the red & black ones
GoldMember
Local time
4:31 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag

Kevin, I would be proud of that muffler mod on the non-stainless muffler. I would probably have to cover up my work with high temp silver paint, and it still wouldn't look as good.

Woodpecker

Sassy Madam
Staff member
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Mine sure looks like it is aluminized steel....definitely not any kind of stainless.
That’s my guess too Greg.
The temperature at which it’s designed for comes in to play also depending on the melting temperature of the filler metal.
absolutely. I actually dug out my old hvac textbook to blow the cobwebs out of my brain. You should still be able to use the same brazing rod. The brazing rod material will follow the flux. The issue is you want a flux that will prep the surface you’re trying to braze. In this case it’s some sort of highly oxidized surface agent. My bet is on either of those fluxes.

Not that your work looks poor. Quite the opposite. Just trying to get you something that is easier for you to use.