Dirty Wood

nbbt

Here For The Long Haul!
GoldMember
Local time
3:02 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Reading this with interest, as I have some small stumps in the yard that get in the way of mowing that I need to remove. Cutting them down to ground level is going to be as hard on the chain as digging down and cutting the roots.
I'm going to have a few to remove soon as well. Thinking about setting up one of the saws with some .404 semi-chiz, and see how it does. Ideas/suggestions.

I have done the water wash before after shoveling, but usually don't want to wait for the puddle to disappear. More times than not the ax comes out about this time.

Squareground3691

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
4:02 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I'm going to have a few to remove soon as well. Thinking about setting up one of the saws with some .404 semi-chiz, and see how it does. Ideas/suggestions.

I have done the water wash before after shoveling, but usually don't want to wait for the puddle to disappear. More times than not the ax comes out about this time.
That’s what I use for dirty chit , does well , but I use .404 full chisel to with a 1/4 file for a large radial cutting arc , IMG_1595.jpeg

Last edited:

Wilhelm

Here For The Long Haul!
GoldMember
Local time
10:02 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I only did one cutter

And then got my grubby mitt on it 🙄

View attachment 402888
It may be Your camera, but that still looks kinda dull-ish?!

Reading this with interest, as I have some small stumps in the yard that get in the way of mowing that I need to remove. Cutting them down to ground level is going to be as hard on the chain as digging down and cutting the roots.

All You guys need is a old chain that You'd consider trashing under normal circumstances!
Clear the dirt around the stump under lawn level, then bore cut from the side of the stump angled/downward to the stumps mid section, repeat till it is cut all around.
Keep Your saws rpm's as low as You can, it will help reduce rapid dulling.
One old chain will usually remove one stump.
I have been doing it this way for decades.

Last edited:

Wilhelm

Here For The Long Haul!
GoldMember
Local time
10:02 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag

Stump removal, the @Wilhelm way