PAST CT GTG 2016 May 7th

malk315

Running Saws for Therapy
Local time
6:27 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Randy was fine with sharing results with the 262 he did for me last year -- same work as he did to the mass of 262's when he did the picture thread for on AS.
This is a 1991 262XP all original with 87 carb and KS cylinder.

262_dyno_chart.jpg

If you think of a trend for the curve up there the band starts at about 6.4 HP at 11250 down to 6.2 at 9500 down to 6 HP at 8250

RI Chevy

Mastermind Approved!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I made sure Jason's and Kevin's saws had 7 pin rims on for the Dyno runs. And Jason's word the 7 pin all day long.
It's wearing an 8 now though!
A nice comparison on the dyno would be the same saw with runs with the 7 pin vs 8 pin.

RI Chevy

Mastermind Approved!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Randy was fine with sharing results with the 262 he did for me last year -- same work as he did to the mass of 262's when he did the picture thread for on AS.

View attachment 21704

If you think of a trend for the curve up there the band starts at about 6.4 HP at 11250 down to 6.2 at 9500 down to 6 HP at 8250
Probably a stupid question but, ...
Can someone interpolate the higher HP with lower torque charts.
Verses the charts where it shows higher torque than HP.
I always thought it was better to have higher torque than HP. ???

RI Chevy

Mastermind Approved!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
And just curious, were any dyno runs done with computer carbed saws?

mels

Super OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Heya fellas!

Just wanted to jump in and thank everyone for turning out for this second CT GTG, more especially because the weather could have easily kept many of you away. Want you to know that we have these not for us, but for you. To see y'all enjoying each others' company the way you do, sharing with each other, encouraging each other, and jeez just getting to know each of you better makes it worth the effort we put in and God willing, there'll be many more.

Dyno / no dyno, clear sunny weather / cloudy rain ~ snow, heck does that really even matter? Getting together, visiting with each other and creating friendships is what it's all about and THAT ain't just a fad ;)

Grace and peace, brothers.

paragonbuilder

Mastermind Approved!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
A nice comparison on the dyno would be the same saw with runs with the 7 pin vs 8 pin.
The graph would be the same. You would need to change parameters for the 8 pin rim.
We are measuring engine output. If you put an 8 pin on your saw, you need to adjust your cutting style to keep the saw in your power band.

RI Chevy

Mastermind Approved!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
The graph would be the same. You would need to change parameters for the 8 pin rim.
We are measuring engine output. If you put an 8 pin on your saw, you need to adjust your cutting style to keep the saw in your power band.
Ok..Thanks. So the 7 pin provides higher RPM's, and the 8 pin provides higher torque? Providing all other variables equal?
The charts would show something different while using different cogs, I would imagine.

paragonbuilder

Mastermind Approved!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Ok..Thanks. So the 7 pin provides higher RPM's, and the 8 pin provides higher torque? Providing all other variables equal?
The charts would show something different while using different cogs, I would imagine.
8 pin higher revs, 7 pin torque. Charts the same or close because computer compensates for the different ratio. Chain speed has nothing to do with engine torque and Hp curves. It's like shifting gears in your truck. Power feels different but the motor still has the same power to output

paragonbuilder

Mastermind Approved!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Heya fellas!

Just wanted to jump in and thank everyone for turning out for this second CT GTG, more especially because the weather could have easily kept many of you away. Want you to know that we have these not for us, but for you. To see y'all enjoying each others' company the way you do, sharing with each other, encouraging each other, and jeez just getting to know each of you better makes it worth the effort we put in and God willing, there'll be many more.

Dyno / no dyno, clear sunny weather / cloudy rain ~ snow, heck does that really even matter? Getting together, visiting with each other and creating friendships is what it's all about and THAT ain't just a fad ;)

Grace and peace, brothers.
I kinda do it for myself too Mel! [emoji33]

RI Chevy

Mastermind Approved!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
8 pin higher revs, 7 pin torque. Charts the same or close because computer compensates for the different ratio. Chain speed has nothing to do with engine torque and Hp curves. It's like shifting gears in your truck. Power feels different but the motor still has the same power to output
Ahhh. Ok. Thanks for the education.

drf256

Dr. Richard Cranium
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag

View attachment 21704

IIRC,

Almost all of Randy's saws had consistent fat curves with power across a broad range. Just what someone would want in a worksaw.

malk315

Running Saws for Therapy
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Probably a stupid question but, ...
Can someone interpolate the higher HP with lower torque charts.
Verses the charts where it shows higher torque than HP.
I always thought it was better to have higher torque than HP. ???

You have to look at the scale on the right -- I don't currently have the graphing tool using a fixed scale for HP or torque it just picks what it wants.
Sometimes it will show 0 to 14 for HP on the right instead of 0 to 7 and it will mess with your mind. Possibly it might use different numbers for the torque too.

So each graph can be unique -- sorry about that.
I need to find out what forced scales for HP and torque will make the curves look like they should and give consistency.

So -- don't try to compare graph to graph -- just look at the points and the HP numbers for black line against scale on right and torque numbers for the blue line against torque scale on left.

I put this together last minute Thursday night at 1:00 a.m. prior to heading to Dan's after skipping out of work early Friday...
It will be made better as time goes on and I get more time to work on it!

RI Chevy

Mastermind Approved!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
OK. Thanks for that. It was just a little deceiving to me. Sometimes the HP was higher on the scale than torque. Sometimes torque was higher than HP.
No problems at all. I got it now. LOL

drf256

Dr. Richard Cranium
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
OK. Thanks for that. It was just a little deceiving to me. Sometimes the HP was higher on the scale than torque. Sometimes torque was higher than HP.
No problems at all. I got it now. LOL
That's because HP and torque ALWAYS cross at 5250. HP is force at rpm or total power. So (IIRC) HP=TQxRPM/5250.

The torque curve will be higher below 5250 and lower after.

Also remember that the curves are backwards. We started at high rpm and ended at lower rpm.

RI Chevy

Mastermind Approved!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Thanks for that. Like a lesson in mathmatics back when I went to college. LOL