This stuff is awesome!

MustangMike

Mastermind Approved!
Local time
6:27 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Torque value is on the left, HP on the right, on some charts the #s on left & rt are the same, on other charts the torque # is 1/2 the Hp # (4 is across from 8).
Makes it confusing.

Eric, thanks for posting that 262. Getting beat by a 60 cc saw with almost 6.5 Hp is nothing I will be ashamed of! Those things are strong.

Jeff, my M-Tronic MMWS 362 was dynoed, hopefully it will be posted.

Dan I hear what you are saying, just trying to figure out how many data points make it relative, don't want to go out of the power band. I guess based on that, my 044 is kinda an animal for a non ported saw. If I take run #116, take the 7 best data points (continuous from 7550 to 12,250) and eliminate the high # (only one in the 8s) and average the rest (they are all in the 7s) I get 7.56 Hp. On chart 115, if I take the 7 best values (includes one in the 8s and one in the 6s) and average them, I get 7.356 Hp. Not bad for a 70 cc saw that is over 22 years old and has not been ported!

Last edited:

jmssaws

Banneded
Local time
5:27 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Torque value is on the left, HP on the right, on some charts the #s on left & rt are the same, on other charts the torque # is 1/2 the Hp # (4 is across from 8).
Makes it confusing.

Eric, thanks for posting that 262. Getting beat by a 60 cc saw with almost 6.5 Hp is nothing I will be ashamed of! Those things are strong.

Dan I hear what you are saying, just trying to figure out how many data points make it relative, don't want to go out of the power band. I guess base on that, my 044 is kinda an animal for a non ported saw. If I take run #116, take the 7 best data points (continuous from 7550 to 12,250) and eliminate the high # (only one in the 8s) and average the rest (they are all in the 7s) I get 7.56 Hp. On chart 115, if I take the 7 best values (includes one in the 8s and one in the 6s) and average them, I get 7.356 Hp. Not bad for a 70 cc saw that is over 22 years old and has not been ported!
A stock 660 is 7.2hp and most ported ones are 8 to 8.5, I'm shocked it's that high.
That's one hell of a stock saw.

paragonbuilder

Mastermind Approved!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Makes it confusing.

Dan I hear what you are saying, just trying to figure out how many data points make it relative, don't want to go out of the power band. I guess base on that, my 044 is kinda an animal for a non ported saw. If I take run #116, take the 7 best data points (continuous from 7550 to 12,250) and eliminate the high # (only one in the 8s) and average the rest (they are all in the 7s) I get 7.56 Hp. On chart 115, if I take the 7 best values (includes one in the 8s and one in the 6s) and average them, I get 7.356 Hp. Not bad for a 70 cc saw that is over 22 years old and has not been ported!
Mike, the Dyno is chattering if you will. So you need to draw a line at the average through the peaks and valleys. The peaks are from the grab and the valley is the release in between grabs.
If you maintained a "grab" it would slow the saw quick. If you maintain a "release" it would accelerate quick. So the average is the saws constant output.
I hope that helps explain

MustangMike

Mastermind Approved!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Thanks Jason, It has a KS jug, and the KS piston with the wings on it (which is why I did not replace it when I had it apart). Still wondering if those wings do anything (they sure as heck don't hurt anything), and the skirt on the original piston seemed to be a hair longer.

jmssaws

Banneded
Local time
5:27 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Thanks Jason, It has a KS jug, and the KS piston with the wings on it (which is why I did not replace it when I had it apart). Still wondering if those wings do anything (they sure as heck don't hurt anything), and the skirt on the original piston seemed to be a hair longer.
A ks 660 piston is a touch longer than all the others.

MustangMike

Mastermind Approved!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Mike, the Dyno is chattering if you will. So you need to draw a line at the average through the peaks and valleys. The peaks are from the grab and the valley is the release in between grabs.
If you maintained a "grab" it would slow the saw quick. If you maintain a "release" it would accelerate quick. So the average is the saws constant output.
I hope that helps explain

That is why I am taking a continuous string of date points within the range and averaging them, should come up with the same result. Taking every data point from 7,500 to 12,250, eliminating the one high number and computing an average from the rest (all in the 7s) should be fair.

MustangMike

Mastermind Approved!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
A ks 660 piston is a touch longer than all the others.

And I just eyeballed it!!!

The picture is the new piston compared to the old one (which I decided not to remove, and I am now happy about that decision).

Also, the cylinder is marked B, the piston A/B.

Attachments

• PWDerby&044#1-1-17-16 011.jpg
    PWDerby&044#1-1-17-16 011.jpg
    95.2 KB · Views: 18

wcorey

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
That's because HP and torque ALWAYS cross at 5250. HP is force at rpm or total power. So (IIRC) HP=TQxRPM/5250.

The torque curve will be higher below 5250 and lower

Eric, this is what I couldn't remember when we were talking about syncing up the vertical graph scales, take note.

Thanks Al...!

Last edited:

paragonbuilder

Mastermind Approved!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
That is why I am taking a continuous string of date points within the range and averaging them, should come up with the same result. Taking every data point from 7,500 to 12,250, eliminating the one high number and computing an average from the rest (all in the 7s) should be fair.
That should be right! I missed that you were taking all. I thought you were just taking the highs...
My bad
Carry on