PAST CT GTG 2016 May 7th

paragonbuilder

Mastermind Approved!
Local time
12:24 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Also something I found interesting. I wanted to see how my mildly muffler modded 55 stacked up to the 350's and put it on the Dyno.
It was pretty rich at first, so I put it on the edge for a second run. It was considerably stronger while rich, so I split the difference and ran it again.
It was still stronger while at the richest of the three runs.
On some other saws, they had to be leaned to make the most power.
Lesson: every saw is different! There are no rules!!! Lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Definitive Dave

Piss Rev Mafia Member
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
The Dyno was quite amazing. The numbers don't tell the entire story on a saw though. I know we bothered Bill and Eric and took away from their day. For that I'm sorry.

In some cases, a saw made less peak HP but more total HP across a greater range-hence a more usable saw in the real world. Moob's saws tended to do that, not as peaky but with wide flat power curves in the rpm's that you need the power in. His saws were flat out classy, think of a well tuned new corvette vs a suped up drag strip car.

The Dyno definitely brings out the child in most men, that's for sure. I mean who doesn't want to win?

MattyO builds a mean husky 350, his saws did very well. He's the man I'll be asking for advice when I build mine.

For me at least, the Dyno was a way to tell what caused the most power change. Like everyone else, I wish I had the thing to myself for a day.

My most suprising moment was seeing my latest MS360 get beat up by my 036 which was the first saw I've ever ported. My 036 has a nearly no restriction metal air filter on it. So on the first pulls, my 036 pulls 6.5 hp and my 360, 5 hp.

My 360 had a really restrictive OEM flocked filter on it. I swapped in an OEM nylon filter and the saw pulled 6.5 hp at around 9-12k rpm just like my 036. Then we pulled the air filter and ran with none. I was so busy looking at the numbers that I didn't notice how leaned out the saw became. Bill did 3 pulls and than asked me if I really wanted anymore with the saw running like this. Without the AF, the saw pulled to 16,000 rpm with the stock 036 carb and boot. It saw hp's into the 8's, but those values are artificially inflated because of how hp readings are calculated. I'll need to see the final figures on that.

But can anyone deny the surprise that a lower restriction air filter made 30% more usable hp? No air filter 50% more? That's something we can all take home and do something with.

AIR FILTERS ARE A FAD

paragonbuilder

Mastermind Approved!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Do we have any dyno figures for the 064 and 661?
Eric will process and get the data out to all the saw owners. It will be their choice to post the info themselves.
I will say they are both super strong saws! And they should be proud of what they created. Of course it's never enough, so I'm sure next week we will see stronger saws [emoji23]

paragonbuilder

Mastermind Approved!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Some may not mind but others may, so we decided it would be easier to put the responsibility on the saw owners. Once the numbers are out there, if someone gets butt hurt, it's on them.
Now if you want an idea, there are some Dyno vids out already and you can read the screen.

paragonbuilder

Mastermind Approved!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Don't forget there is still subjectiveness to this data. Al saw huge differences with air filter changes. We ran these saws as is. A tweak of the h needle and things could change.
I saw that on my 55 and it wasn't how I thought it would be.
Also we are not sure how much operator effects the run data by how the brake is controlled.
What I do know is we did our best to keep everything as legit as possible.

Definitive Dave

Piss Rev Mafia Member
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
So on Mother's Day 2016 several men were murdered by their wives for spending all day squinting at blinking lights in the corner of YouTube videos trying to find that split second where someone's saw broke the 10hp threshold :yikes:

I'm glad I'm not the only one:)

I'm now working on firewood cutting station that pumps fresh filtered oxygen into the saws carb while vacuuming all dust instantly from the cutting area to eliminate the need for air filters, stay tuned for news

paragonbuilder

Mastermind Approved!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I think the key that I took away was, there are many ways to make power. Same saws with very different numbers, all strong but different. But every modded saw there was stronger than a stock one.
I think the only turd that got run yesterday was the stock ms260 I made Al run[emoji23]

malk315

Running Saws for Therapy
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Some may not mind but others may, so we decided it would be easier to put the responsibility on the saw owners. Once the numbers are out there, if someone gets butt hurt, it's on them.
Now if you want an idea, there are some Dyno vids out already and you can read the screen.

The top number is RPM in red then torque in yellow and hp in green. When the dyno detects a load it starts recording points every 100ms. You can see the point count on the left of the yellow display appear when it starts recording data so operator knows it's collecting data that can be instantly graphed on web interface. Torque can show small amounts during piss rev because brake is dragging just a bit on the rotor. Collection starts when torque goes over 0.8 lbs and stops when below 0.5. To not miss points before 0.8 and top RPMs in graph data there is a lead in where the most recent 10 points are kept. All of these numbers are adjustable.

Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk

paragonbuilder

Mastermind Approved!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
So on Mother's Day 2016 several men were murdered by their wives for spending all day squinting at blinking lights in the corner of YouTube videos trying to find that split second where someone's saw broke the 10hp threshold :yikes:

I'm glad I'm not the only one:)

I'm now working on firewood cutting station that pumps fresh filtered oxygen into the saws carb while vacuuming all dust instantly from the cutting area to eliminate the need for air filters, stay tuned for news
ROFLMFAO
You are one funny dude Dave!

Moparmyway

Its just a saw
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Just don't go backwards on it Kev, that's really irritating when you have a good running saw
For sure !
I gained with the second cylinder, so I know where I want to go with this one

Kevin that saw is a complete Animal! Honestly all three were. It definitely was tough to pull over, worst part was number of pulls it took. But once running, Look out!!!
I would put a decomp in and I don't normally use them.
Thank you Sir !
It starts real quick when I hold the throttle open with my right hand and pull the cord with my left ;)

Whats a decomp ? :coleman:

Also Kevin your chains are very good! Makes me want to improve and I thought I did ok...
Thank you Sir !
Them 404 chains were just used work chains. I only had time to file the ones damaged by the nails it hit

I heard Als 375 chain ran pretty good :stick:

View attachment 21399

This is one that Kevin just did for me.
I want to keep this chain Deets, I love how it turned out !

Eric will process and get the data out to all the saw owners. It will be their choice to post the info themselves.
I will say they are both super strong saws! And they should be proud of what they created. Of course it's never enough, so I'm sure next week we will see stronger saws [emoji23]
Anything from either of my saws can be put up for all to see ......... As soon as you get it Dan, please put it here !!

paragonbuilder

Mastermind Approved!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
For sure !
I gained with the second cylinder, so I know where I want to go with this one

Thank you Sir !
It starts real quick when I hold the throttle open with my right hand and pull the cord with my left ;)

Whats a decomp ? :coleman:

Thank you Sir !
Them 404 chains were just used work chains. I only had time to file the ones damaged by the nails it hit

I heard Als 375 chain ran pretty good :stick:

I want to keep this chain Deets, I love how it turned out !

Anything from either of my saws can be put up for all to see ......... As soon as you get it Dan, please put it here !!
I know high performance machines always start better when the owner starts them. Once you figure out the little idiosyncrasies it becomes second nature.

I know you and Jason both said its ok to post it but just to keep it fair, you can post it up when you get it. Eric is sending it directly to you anyway. All I have is video and pictures.