Moparmyway

Its just a saw
GoldMember
Local time
10:13 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
The Dyno was quite amazing. The numbers don't tell the entire story on a saw though. I know we bothered Bill and Eric and took away from their day. For that I'm sorry.

In some cases, a saw made less peak HP but more total HP across a greater range-hence a more usable saw in the real world. Moob's saws tended to do that, not as peaky but with wide flat power curves in the rpm's that you need the power in. His saws were flat out classy, think of a well tuned new corvette vs a suped up drag strip car.

The Dyno definitely brings out the child in most men, that's for sure. I mean who doesn't want to win?

MattyO builds a mean husky 350, his saws did very well. He's the man I'll be asking for advice when I build mine.

For me at least, the Dyno was a way to tell what caused the most power change. Like everyone else, I wish I had the thing to myself for a day.

My most suprising moment was seeing my latest MS360 get beat up by my 036 which was the first saw I've ever ported. My 036 has a nearly no restriction metal air filter on it. So on the first pulls, my 036 pulls 6.5 hp and my 360, 5 hp.

My 360 had a really restrictive OEM flocked filter on it. I swapped in an OEM nylon filter and the saw pulled 6.5 hp at around 9-12k rpm just like my 036. Then we pulled the air filter and ran with none. I was so busy looking at the numbers that I didn't notice how leaned out the saw became. Bill did 3 pulls and than asked me if I really wanted anymore with the saw running like this. Without the AF, the saw pulled to 16,000 rpm with the stock 036 carb and boot. It saw hp's into the 8's, but those values are artificially inflated because of how hp readings are calculated. I'll need to see the final figures on that.

But can anyone deny the surprise that a lower restriction air filter made 30% more usable hp? No air filter 50% more? That's something we can all take home and do something with.
Very well said Al.
I'll be looking to put a carb with a choke on my 038 Mag, then spinning an adapter for a better air filter. I'm not sure if the 036 and 026 are exactly the same, but IIRC, they are very similar with their filter arrangements. Might be best to get away from the original design and get a better flowing filter to fit ??
You have a lathe too !

Last edited:

Moparmyway

Its just a saw
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
What color is the sky in your world?

Your saw performed great. In fact, your 661 and Jason's 064 were the only 2 saws I was actually afraid to use. They were so strong that I could see losing control of them.

The only complaint on your saw would be the starting. Damn thing near impossible to turn over, and I'm no weakling. I have to question your 180 psi compression reading Kev.

Running both saws on the Dyno and in wood, I think you'd be foolish to open your saw up. If you wanted to add a decomp, well....
That's saying alot Al !
Thank you !!
I appreciate it !!
That saw had 180 with new rings immediately after all machining and port work. It has probably climbed a little more after some use

Decomp ??
WTF is a decomp ??
:risas3: :risas3: :risas3:

image.jpeg

Last edited:

Deets066

AKA Deetsey
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
The Dyno was quite amazing. The numbers don't tell the entire story on a saw though. I know we bothered Bill and Eric and took away from their day. For that I'm sorry.

In some cases, a saw made less peak HP but more total HP across a greater range-hence a more usable saw in the real world. Moob's saws tended to do that, not as peaky but with wide flat power curves in the rpm's that you need the power in. His saws were flat out classy, think of a well tuned new corvette vs a suped up drag strip car.

The Dyno definitely brings out the child in most men, that's for sure. I mean who doesn't want to win?

MattyO builds a mean husky 350, his saws did very well. He's the man I'll be asking for advice when I build mine.

For me at least, the Dyno was a way to tell what caused the most power change. Like everyone else, I wish I had the thing to myself for a day.

My most suprising moment was seeing my latest MS360 get beat up by my 036 which was the first saw I've ever ported. My 036 has a nearly no restriction metal air filter on it. So on the first pulls, my 036 pulls 6.5 hp and my 360, 5 hp.

My 360 had a really restrictive OEM flocked filter on it. I swapped in an OEM nylon filter and the saw pulled 6.5 hp at around 9-12k rpm just like my 036. Then we pulled the air filter and ran with none. I was so busy looking at the numbers that I didn't notice how leaned out the saw became. Bill did 3 pulls and than asked me if I really wanted anymore with the saw running like this. Without the AF, the saw pulled to 16,000 rpm with the stock 036 carb and boot. It saw hp's into the 8's, but those values are artificially inflated because of how hp readings are calculated. I'll need to see the final figures on that.

But can anyone deny the surprise that a lower restriction air filter made 30% more usable hp? No air filter 50% more? That's something we can all take home and do something with.
Really goes to show ya how much difference an air filter can make. Imagine what a really dirty air filter does?

I kinda would like to see maxflo vs stock on his dyno

drf256

Dr. Richard Cranium
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Really goes to show ya how much difference an air filter can make. Imagine what a really dirty air filter does?

I kinda would like to see maxflo vs stock on his dyno
Yeah bud. I couldn't believe it myself.

I'm sure the difference has to be related to the porting. I'm betting much less difference on a stock saw.

drf256

Dr. Richard Cranium
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Al running a stock ms 260. Lol! Bet this doesn't happen often...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Reality check.

Dan handed me the saw to run and refused to tell me what it was. When I pulled it over to start, I thought someone forgot to put the plug in.

Was great to feel the difference.

paragonbuilder

Mastermind Approved!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Thanks Keith !

A little bit more here and a little bit more there and she will be finished.

I can't let Jason relax yet !
Kevin that saw is a complete Animal! Honestly all three were. It definitely was tough to pull over, worst part was number of pulls it took. But once running, Look out!!!
I would put a decomp in and I don't normally use them.

paragonbuilder

Mastermind Approved!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Jason's saw is one of a kind! It starts reasonable, to me anyways, a couple pulls and not to hard, you do need a good grip though. Unless you bolt the flywheel to the case... Lol!!
I'll check compression on it today, but I think he's right on the 180ish. But it is angry when running. Everyone that ran it got this funny grin on their face. Whatever he is doing just flat out works and works well!!! And this saw is 15 years old...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk