Comparing 3 different semi chisel chains

Squish9

Well-Known OPE Member
Local time
4:33 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
This all started when I was looking at a few semi chisel chains and wondered if their shape has much effect on how they work. I should start by say my idea of what makes a good chain has changed since I started playing with these. Turns out I don't really care about cut speed all that much, having a chain that doesn't fight me every step of the way is much more important. With that out the way here goes, all chains are 3/8, 058, 72DL.

Left to right,

Stihl 35RM
Husqvarna S85
Oregon 73DX

PXL_20240612_050857876.PORTRAIT~2.jpg

Cut speed

This is the average of 4 cuts each in the same log

S85 = 15.9
RM = 17.8
73DX = 18.7

Durability

All are good but the Oregon is the stand out here. Very tolerant of hitting dirt in the wood, RM and S85 are about the same.

Sharpening

The husky chain is very nice to file, Oregon is very good as well. Stihl RM is ok but I prefer the others

Cutting, smoothness

The Oregon and husky are both fantastic to use. Great out the box and great after sharpening, just really nice to use. The Stihl RM used to be a go to favorite of mine but I had not run it back to back with something else. Its terrible compared to the other 2. Cuts rough, chatters and carries on, I really hate it now. Just a awful experience compared to the others.

Value is hard to do because they are priced different everywhere.

My conclusion is, I'll happily buy more of the Husky and Oregon. In the 6 days I was cutting I used the RM twice, once for the test and again after sharpening it to see if I could make it work better, it was still crap to use and is like new in the box.

For a comparison on cut speed VS full chisel, new husky C85 cuts 13% faster than the S85 in the hardwoods I cut but the semi will hold that speed for 4-5 tanks. C85 drops off rapidly here needing a touch up every tank.

Farmchuck

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
2:33 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Yeah, not a fan of RM either.

I am getting really good durability out of full Chisel X-Cut, even bucking muddy logs.
Who makes the chisel X cut might I inquire.

Squish9

Well-Known OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I'm not really a husky fan (7 Stihl's, 3 dolmar's and a 288 clone) but what ever they are doing with their chain, it's excellent. I have a some of the S35G and it's incredibly good. Love the C85 and S85 just wish they would make some 404 as well.

Farmchuck

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I'm not really a husky fan (7 Stihl's, 3 dolmar's and a 288 clone) but what ever they are doing with their chain, it's excellent. I have a some of the S35G and it's incredibly good. Love the C85 and S85 just wish they would make some 404 as well.
Do they gave a decent semi chisel in .325 I wonder?

Wilhelm

Here For The Long Haul!
GoldMember
Local time
8:33 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I never bothered looking up X-Cut Semi Chisel since I have a bunch of Semi Chisel loops that I need to spend.

X-Cut Full Chisel .325" .058", nice crispy corner.

IMG_20240704_110426.jpg
IMG_20240704_110453.jpg

IMG_20240704_111215~2.jpg

Sloughfoot

Well-Known OPE Member
Local time
11:33 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
This all started when I was looking at a few semi chisel chains and wondered if their shape has much effect on how they work. I should start by say my idea of what makes a good chain has changed since I started playing with these. Turns out I don't really care about cut speed all that much, having a chain that doesn't fight me every step of the way is much more important. With that out the way here goes, all chains are 3/8, 058, 72DL.

Left to right,

Stihl 35RM
Husqvarna S85
Oregon 73DX

View attachment 424850

Cut speed

S85 = 15.9
RM = 17.8
73DX = 18.7

Durability

All are good but the Oregon is the stand out here. Very tolerant of hitting dirt in the wood, RM and S85 are about the same.

Sharpening

The husky chain is very nice to file, Oregon is very good as well. Stihl RM is ok but I prefer the others

Cutting, smoothness

The Oregon and husky are both fantastic to use. Great out the box and great after sharpening, just really nice to use. The Stihl RM used to be a go to favorite of mine but I had not run it back to back with something else. Its terrible compared to the other 2. Cuts rough, chatters and carries on, I really hate it now. Just a awful experience compared to the others.

My conclusion is, I'll happily buy more of the Husky and Oregon. In the 6 days I was cutting I used the RM twice, once for the test and again after sharpening it to see if I could make it work better, it was still crap to use and is like new in the box.

For a comparison on cut speed VS full chisel, new husky C85 cuts 13% faster than the S85 in the hardwoods I cut but the semi will hold that speed for 4-5 tanks. C85 drops off rapidly here needing a touch up every tank.
The corner looks to turn a bit sharper, tooth thinner and rakers shallower on the Husqvarna. Oregon tooth looks simlar to Stihl, slightly thinner, rakers look similar depth. The Stihl will most likely smooth out with use to about what the Oregon is, but never as fast and smooth as the Husky because of the thicker tooth and more rounded corner.

Bet.

Last edited:

EFSM

Well-Known OPE Member
Local time
1:33 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag

Wilhelm

Here For The Long Haul!
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
That looks like Oregon chain. How old is it?

And the slower it dulls.

I was under the impression that Husqvarna is now manufacturing all its branded chains.
Not Oregon, there is a difference to their chains.
I bought that loop last year intending to utilize it on my PS-460 so it should be current production.

Because there is no dedicated edge that can go dull.
Still, to me fresh ground semi chisel feels like mildly dulled full chisel.
And, semi is a much bigger power hog!

Yes, to my understanding Husqvarna makes their own chains and bars.
Pricing on chains is OK, but they are very proud of their L&T bars.

Seachaser

Super OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I bought that loop last year intending to utilize it on my PS-460 so it should be current production.

Because there is no dedicated edge that can go dull.
Still, to me fresh ground semi chisel feels like mildly dulled full chisel.
And, semi is a much bigger power hog!

Yes, to my understanding Husqvarna makes their own chains and bars.
Pricing on chains is OK, but they are very proud of their L&T bars.
$195.99 Stihl 28
$124.00 Husky LW 28
$122.00 Sugihara LW 28
$140.00 Tsumara LW 28

Prices in the states. Stihl is dealer price and the other 3 are Amazon.

Wilhelm

Here For The Long Haul!
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Husqvarna L&T 36" 115DL 3/8" .058" D009 - 275€

Local to me Husqvarna dealer.

Wilhelm

Here For The Long Haul!
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
They think it is something special being 36", though I've had my Iggesund Forest 36" for 10-15 years.
Back then the same Husqvarna dealer didn't wanna order me a 28" so I got the 36" Iggy from Germany.

Now they think that bar is something to behold, but I topped them again and got a 52" bar! :p

The funny thing is, they don't know how to spin odd DL count loops!
I ordered a 115DL and they spun me a 116DL claiming 115DL can't be made - even though I left them one of my 115DL Carlton loops as a sample.

Squish9

Well-Known OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Great minds think alike, i'm running the S35 on a DCS460

Wilhelm

Here For The Long Haul!
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Great minds think alike, I'm running the S35 on a DCS460
My EA4300 runs a full chisel .325" and does so very well.

My thought is that my freak PS-460 might open a black/worm hole if I grant her a full chisel loop.
She came with a semi chisel that I wanted to wear out first.

jeffkrib

OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag

Left to right,

Stihl 35RM
Husqvarna S85
Oregon 73DX

View attachment 424850

Cut speed

S85 = 15.9
RM = 17.8
73DX = 18.7

Durability

Sharpening

Cutting, smoothness

Excellent information, thanks for sharing.