Dr. Richard Cranium
GoldMember
Local time
2:16 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Exactly.

I've seen some horrible looking gouged out transfer ports in engines that run like hell. No thought at all but into the angles.....and the heights all over the place.

Sometimes I wonder why I try so hard......
When you start thinking of the motor dynamically, more than as one combustion cycle at a time, transfer angles begin to seem more important.

drf256

Dr. Richard Cranium
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Which one creates what kind of power I have no idea...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I think the answer is the one that creates the largest transfer area that purges the cylinder the best.

This is where the confusion lies.

Where is the dead space? How do we fill it most effectively?

Keith Gandy

Maxima K2 40:1 87 Pump Gas
Local time
1:16 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I'm particularly interested in the upper entry pockets.

The higher one takes a transfer over stock, the more the entry angle is going to change over what the factory gave us.

There's an old diagram, I'm sure Jeremy @Adirondackstihl has it, that shows 90* vs. angled entry transfers. IIRC, the closer to 90* you get, the peakier but more powerful you get.

The factory quad setups seem to favor a 90* entry in the mains/exhaust side port that opens before the secondaries. So they angle the transfer tunnel towards the intake, but they open it squarely across the piston crown on the exhaust side first.

So has anyone experimented with different pocket entry angles?
I think Mdavlee has

Keith Gandy

Maxima K2 40:1 87 Pump Gas
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I think the answer is the one that creates the largest transfer area that purges the cylinder the best.

This is where the confusion lies.

Where is the dead space? How do we fill it most effectively?
Im thinkin a balance of velocity between the transfers and exhaust. Both tuned proportionally between different models of saws

Stihlbro

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Transfers are the "Napoleon dynamite" of chainsaw porting. When you think you got them figured-out, they do totally different. As Mastermind said in regards to entry angles, I've witnessed it as well. As Wigglesworth stated opening points, I've seen that too. I don t understand it but it works!! And that goes against all the talk on any reading material available. I'll end this post with this, I think there is too much jibberish on timing numbers than actual testing of porting. But please continue the discussion.

Mastermind

Chief Cat Herder
Staff member
Yearly GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I love Neapolitan......

Neapolitan.jpg

mdavlee

Hillbilly grinder
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I'm particularly interested in the upper entry pockets.

The higher one takes a transfer over stock, the more the entry angle is going to change over what the factory gave us.

There's an old diagram, I'm sure Jeremy @Adirondackstihl has it, that shows 90* vs. angled entry transfers. IIRC, the closer to 90* you get, the peakier but more powerful you get.

The factory quad setups seem to favor a 90* entry in the mains/exhaust side port that opens before the secondaries. So they angle the transfer tunnel towards the intake, but they open it squarely across the piston crown on the exhaust side first.

So has anyone experimented with different pocket entry angles?
You don't want it totally flat deep in the transfer if you can help it. That creates a dead space for flow.

czar800

Mastermind Approved!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Its raining today and I've had too much time to think so bear with me as I think through this.
I've read that transfer pressure is low like 10psi or less? Why not try and gain more pressure...by filling stuffing the uppers with JB and shaping it all towards the intake more like a nozzle shape?
In my limit understanding a few psi could increase velocity or just and a turbo!!!

jmssaws

Banneded
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Its raining today and I've had too much time to think so bear with me as I think through this.
I've read that transfer pressure is low like 10psi or less? Why not try and gain more pressure...by filling stuffing the uppers with JB and shaping it all towards the intake more like a nozzle shape?
In my limit understanding a few psi could increase velocity or just and a turbo!!!
Circle crank.

Danders

Well-Known OPE Member
Local time
11:16 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Circle crank.

Yep. The saw manufacturers have done a pretty good job though of minimizing case volume compared to what I remember from my early 70's dirt bike crankcases. Which isn't to say it can't be improved upon.

I wonder if part of the complexity of figuring out why different transfers can achieve good results is the interaction with the exhaust port. The engine is inhaling and exhaling at the same time, we try to quantify that with transfer timing and blowdown but we're missing something to explain why 2 saws with the same numbers run differently.