High Quality Chainsaw Bars Husqvarna Toys

Chainsaw grinder questions, tips, tricks, and pics!!!!

ruqwknf27

Super OPE Member
Local time
12:14 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I think the Oregon 511AX-(like the one pictured above) has a better vice set up for tilt than the new Model 620-120 I have. The 511AX vise does actually "tilt", Whereas the 620-120 just moves in and out almost like a wheel wear offset. However they do call this the tilt adjustment in the manual. I don't see how it actually accomplishes that though. Every time I try it succeed in screwing up my cutters and unable to get left and right cutters the same,so I just keep it set at 0° now and I haven't had any complaints yet in doing so. Any of you guys on here that have a 620 have similar issues?
2380864c78f28529a1a8b1c236a9bba9.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Are you still leving this at 0 ? The owners manual suggest moving this setting in and out depending on what angle your sharpening but is really vague.

jetsam

Super OPE Member
Local time
1:14 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I just read every post in this thread and it was awesome!! Thanks to everyone involved.

@super3: Who makes that CBN raker wheel? Is it Diamond Wheel? (They sell one but there is no picture of the profile on their site, so I'm worried that it's just a square 1/4" wheel.)

@everyone else: Has anyone ever "converted" a Vanguard chain to regular rakers by grinding off all that extra stuff? Did it still cut ok? (Probably too much work to be practical anyway... unless you had a square grinding setup...)

jetsam

Super OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
@Wilhelm did that i think.

Yeah, I can see that when he swings the bar past the camera, and it cuts pretty well!
SmartSelect_20210226-151930_Firefox Nightly.jpg

The video made me laugh because the Dolmar 6400 is my daily driver too... looks like he ground down the dogs on his, I need to do that too. The stock ones look like they were designed by the marketing department.

Wilhelm

Here For The Long Haul!
GoldMember
Local time
7:14 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
@Wilhelm did that i think.
Yes I did and still do!
The Vanguard chains are good, but there is no such thing as safety on a powerful saw so why bother.
The Vanguard rakers are easily ground back, I have pictures on my desktop PC how I do it (there are also pictures of mine somewhere here on OPEForum).

Yeah, I can see that when he swings the bar past the camera, and it cuts pretty well!
View attachment 284827

The video made me laugh because the Dolmar 6400 is my daily driver too... looks like he ground down the dogs on his, I need to do that too. The stock ones look like they were designed by the marketing department.
Dolmar PS-6400/7300/7310/7900 FTW!
My Dolmar PS-6400 is my own first chainsaw, I purchased her new in 2006.

Those spikes are OEM European ones, nothing modified on them.
They can be had through any European member having access to a Dolmar/Makita dealer.

SOS Ridgerider

Muffler Modded Member
Staff member
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
View attachment 284827

The spikes on Wilhelms saw are the Euro style spikes. They’re quite a bit smaller than the US style ones.

SOS Ridgerider

Muffler Modded Member
Staff member
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Yes I did and still do!
The Vanguard chains are good, but there is no such thing as safety on a powerful saw so why bother.
The Vanguard rakers are easily ground back, I have pictures on my desktop PC how I do it (there are also pictures of mine somewhere here on OPEForum).

Dolmar PS-6400/7300/7310/7900 FTW!
My Dolmar PS-6400 is my own first chainsaw, I purchased her new in 2006.

Those spikes are OEM European ones, nothing modified on them.
They can be had through any European member having access to a Dolmar/Makita dealer.
Damn! You beat me to it by a second! Lol

Wilhelm

Here For The Long Haul!
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
@everyone else: Has anyone ever "converted" a Vanguard chain to regular rakers by grinding off all that extra stuff? Did it still cut ok? (Probably too much work to be practical anyway... unless you had a square grinding setup...)
Takes a couple minutes on a small supermarket bench grinder to grind off the peened over part of the Vanguard rakers.
On a new loop the chain will be a little aggressive after the raker mod, but it will settle as one keeps sharpening the teeth.
I mod every Vanguard loop, it's well worth it.
I only round file my chains.

SOS Ridgerider

Muffler Modded Member
Staff member
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
How are You my friend?! :)

You can take over, I work today/Saturday and I really need some shut eye - it's past 4:30AM for me.
I’m good buddy! I’ll take it from here. Hope you’re good as well. You can go to bed. Check your WhatsApp messages ;)

Wilhelm

Here For The Long Haul!
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I’m good buddy! I’ll take it from here. Hope you’re good as well. You can go to bed. Check your WhatsApp messages ;)
I am OK!
My little aged smartphone is crapping out after a couple recent software updates, Viber, WhatsApp, Chrome and GBoard are impacted by the issue - I am looking into buying a new phone.
I'll check it out now, don't think I'll be able to reply though.

super3

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
@super3: Who makes that CBN raker wheel? Is it Diamond Wheel? (They sell one but there is no picture of the profile on their site, so I'm worried that it's just a square 1/4" wheel.)

I made the blank and sent it to Radiac for plating.
You are right on the US Diamond wheel.

jetsam

Super OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
.You are right on the US Diamond wheel.

Well that will be good for getting nice square rakers. I hear the more perfect the right angle, the more pain the wood feels, and it cuts easier after that.

Last edited:

legdelimber

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Don't think that I'd want to run that grinding wheel that's on it in the photo.
That festered spot looks like it might be a bit soft or otherwise ready to fly apart from whatever is growing in it and possibly breaking the bond.
I'd also check the washer for rusted out area that could cause uneven clamping pressure on a new wheel. Could cause run out issues or even make a wheel crack from uneven clamping pressure.
Can anybody id this sharpener?
View attachment 292433

motoOzarks

motoMonster
Local time
12:14 AM
User ID
Reaction score
I figured it was a dirt dauber nest but don't know for sure.
Do these use a readily available grinding wheel or special size for the unit?
Does one grinder wheel service most chain sizes?
thanks