High Quality Chainsaw Bars Husqvarna Toys

Chainsaw grinder questions, tips, tricks, and pics!!!!

Homemade

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
7:52 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
It’s a good price. They are good grinders.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Khntr85

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Anyone found any new recipes for grinding, like new angles, wheels or anything?!?!

president

Super OPE Member
Local time
4:52 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I'm thinking of grinding my own chain. I can file very effectively, but sometimes it just becomes too time consuming to do it properly. I've been looking at different grinders, and the Stihl USG looks to be about the best quality, without going into very high priced specialty grinders. The USG does appear to be missing the 10 degree down angle tilt of the vise, which, the more I think about it, is a non issue. It just creates a compound angle, which can be easily adjusted for. I use Oregon chain.. LGX, LPX and now the newer EXL. I honestly can't think of what the down angle does that cannot be achieved without it, other than providing parallel striations to the top plate. Everything else can be achieved the same way.

Am I missing something?
the plus/minus sliding scale does the same as the 10 degree down angle

Khntr85

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Had to get a stihl RS chain into shape….the full cutter/clean cutter is a new stihl RS from factory (always have new chains to compare to, for a baseline if anything), the smaller chain is the RS I ground with CBN wheel….

Questions/comments/concerns/discusions welcomedIMG_5064.jpegIMG_5065.jpegIMG_5080.jpegIMG_5078.jpegIMG_5065.jpeg

Attachments

• IMG_5071.jpeg
    IMG_5071.jpeg
    91 KB · Views: 4

Khntr85

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Also has ANYONE seen the wheel/machine that stihl uses on their chain!?!?!!?

Like a properly obsessed person I have looked closely at the new out of the box stihl chains and they have to use a wide wheel or a different shaped wheel….look closely at the cutter and use your stihl USG or Oregon grinder and see if you can sharpen a tooth on a new link and make it look Excactly like the factory stihl grind… @Philbert

Philbert

Chainsaw Enthusiast
Local time
6:52 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I visited the Oregon factory several years back.

Cutters were sharpened before they were assembled into a chain. The machine was a specially designed and built, custom grinder, with a very large diameter grinding wheel. Cost: six figures?

Grinding cutters that are separate from the chain provides different opportunities than one assembled, with tie straps, etc. attached.

Since then, I have heard / read chain companies saying ‘multiple axis’ grind, which I interpret to mean a CNC machine that does more than a simple grind, or a single position.

That said, I have long asserted that most ‘out-of-the-box’ cutter profiles can be approximated with multiple passes of a grinder, especially, using profiled wheels (and, perhaps a final touch up with a fine file?).

Maybe not exact to the CNC grind, but close enough.

Philbert

Khntr85

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I visited the Oregon factory several years back.

Cutters were sharpened before they were assembled into a chain. The machine was a specially designed and built, custom grinder, with a very large diameter grinding wheel. Cost: six figures?

Grinding cutters that are separate from the chain provides different opportunities than one assembled, with tie straps, etc. attached.

Since then, I have heard / read chain companies saying ‘multiple axis’ grind, which I interpret to mean a CNC machine that does more than a simple grind, or a single position.

That said, I have long asserted that most ‘out-of-the-box’ cutter profiles can be approximated with multiple passes of a grinder, especially, using profiled wheels (and, perhaps a final touch up with a fine file?).

Maybe not exact to the CNC grind, but close enough.

Philbert
Well to start we have to remember we are a small group of “enthusiasts” that think of things most people don’t lol…

With that said did you see the wheel they use with your own eyes???….when you say large diameter do you mean like a thicker wheel than we would use, or a bigger wheel like in inches across than we would use????

You have used a file And grinder for years, me to now, and I am convinced that they use a different profiles wheel, or use an extreme angle (or both) on the new links….

Lastly yes I am perfectly content with all the angles I can get with the grinder, I cut hard woods and anyone I cut with (lifelong tree guy I cut with Included) have always said my saws cut great…..I just would love to see the wheel stihl and Oregon use!!!

wcorey

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
With that said did you see the wheel they use with your own eyes???….when you say large diameter do you mean like a thicker wheel than we would use, or a bigger wheel like in inches across than we would use????

You have used a file And grinder for years, me to now, and I am convinced that they use a different profiles wheel, or use an extreme angle (or both) on the new links….
I think you're misunderstanding the term ‘multiple axis’ grind. The wheel profile there is likely only a small part of the picture.
Your grinder only goes in to the cutter and back out on one axis/plane, so the radius is dictated by the wheel profile. With use of multiple axis, a production machine could use a thinner wheel, come in to the cutter while simultaneously going up/down and/or side to side to create a compound radius and/or angles in both up/down and side to side axis.

Philbert

Chainsaw Enthusiast
Local time
6:52 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Again, several years ago. 16”? 18”? diameter. But, doing a basic grind, and no tie straps to get in the way.

Not what I believe they use on current, ‘X-Cut’ or ‘Hexa’ type profiles. Those machines are likely closer to what @wcorey describes.

Take some clay and make an impression of the profile, as the grinder would see it. Make a template. Then try to profile a vitrified wheel to match.

Like square grinding, it would be something you have to keep up.

Or, maybe part with wheel ‘A’, and part with wheel ‘B’.

I have not been obsessed enough with these new styles to try this.

Philbert

Khntr85

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Again, several years ago. 16”? 18”? diameter. But, doing a basic grind, and no tie straps to get in the way.

Not what I believe they use on current, ‘X-Cut’ or ‘Hexa’ type profiles. Those machines are likely closer to what @wcorey describes.

Take some clay and make an impression of the profile, as the grinder would see it. Make a template. Then try to profile a vitrified wheel to match.

Like square grinding, it would be something you have to keep up.

Or, maybe part with wheel ‘A’, and part with wheel ‘B’.

I have not been obsessed enough with these new styles to try this.

Philbert
I know it was a long time ago but was the profile like a regular rounded grinding wheel???

Yes those new style Chains obviously have a different profiled wheel they use, to get the new profile….haven’t ran than and not running out to do so…

I’m not to worried about changing up my recipe, but I have always wanted to see the machine that grinds stihls chain!!!!!!

Last edited:

Khntr85

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I think you're misunderstanding the term ‘multiple axis’ grind. The wheel profile there is likely only a small part of the picture.
Your grinder only goes in to the cutter and back out on one axis/plane, so the radius is dictated by the wheel profile. With use of multiple axis, a production machine could use a thinner wheel, come in to the cutter while simultaneously going up/down and/or side to side to create a compound radius and/or angles in both up/down and side to side axis.
Multiple axis is fairly easy to interpret, even for me….

I disagree about the profile likely being a small part of the equation….like I said I would just like to watch the process up close, to really see what they do….until then it’s all a guess…..