High Quality Chainsaw Bars Husqvarna Toys

Chainsaw Case/Box/Container for Large Saws

michaelmj11

Well-Known OPE Member
Local time
1:26 PM
User ID
Reaction score
I have seen a number of posts from people looking for a case or container in which to store/transport their larger chainsaw. Most of the answers were that there really were not any good options; so I did a little research (probably too much) and discovered that Jonsered apparently makes the largest case. This appears to be a completely separate case from the Husqvarna "Powerbox", they report completely different dimensions.

All the above being said, I DID still have to modify the box a little bit in order for my Stihl MS 661 to fit inside, below are the before and after pictures. You should be able to click on them and get the full size.
20160128_145746.jpg 20160128_145913.jpg 20160128_150413.jpg 20160128_152043.jpg 20160128_152951.jpg

skidooguy

Genuine smartass
Local time
12:26 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Glad to see you made it custom fit. I found that Jonsered made that same one awhile back but the dealer told me now way my full wrap would fit. So I pretty much gave up on my saw ever getting a box.

Canadian farm boy

“Normal” people scare me.
GoldMember
Local time
2:26 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I have a friend that actually used a Rubbermaid tote. I don't have a picture. All you have to do is find a tote the right size (and colour)with a lid. Cut a slot in the side of the tote for the bar to stick out. If you cut the slot about 3/4 of an inch wide you can stick the bar through the slot with a cover on the bar still. Seems to work like a charm. It's kinda hard to describe but I think everyone will get the idea

michaelmj11

Well-Known OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
I have a friend that actually used a Rubbermaid tote. I don't have a picture. All you have to do is find a tote the right size (and colour)with a lid. Cut a slot in the side of the tote for the bar to stick out. If you cut the slot about 3/4 of an inch wide you can stick the bar through the slot with a cover on the bar still. Seems to work like a charm. It's kinda hard to describe but I think everyone will get the idea

Yah but these vacuum formed plastics give better protection for a saw in the back of a truck etc. (plus they look better than a rubbermaid) and a lot of rubbermaids do not have top handles. This way I can carry the saw + other stuff inside the box and still have an empty hand.

michaelmj11

Well-Known OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Yah but these vacuum formed plastics give better protection for a saw in the back of a truck etc. (plus they look better than a rubbermaid) and a lot of rubbermaids do not have top handles. This way I can carry the saw + other stuff inside the box and still have an empty hand.

and if i get something like this:
http://www.touratech-usa.com/Store/PN-070-0580/Touratech-2-Liter-Spare-Fuel-Canister
then all i am lacking is the bar oil.
xtra_gas_009_212.jpg

(ok the picture is from a different model but they apparently use the same nozzles)

michaelmj11

Well-Known OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Oh yah, there was another benefit to using this box rather than a Stihl branded one. I have heard it said that Stihl's and occasionally Husqvarna's get stolen, but who steals a Jonsered?? So it is a great place to hide my Stihl ; )

Gritz

Super OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Oh yah, there was another benefit to using this box rather than a Stihl branded one. I have heard it said that Stihl's and occasionally Husqvarna's get stolen, but who steals a Jonsered?? So it is a great place to hide my Stihl ; )

Might have to paint or sand your bar if you really want to hide the fact it's a Stihl. ;) Do you have a part number of that case? Price? Looks good!

michaelmj11

Well-Known OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score

Woodpecker

Sassy Madam
Staff member
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
The middle of the land shaped like a hand
Country flag
I just did something like this:
http://m.instructables.com/id/Toolbox-Into-Chainsaw-Case/?ALLSTEPS

Easy and cheaper than the tough chest type boxes. Plus more durable. Previously I had the plastic pins wear out on one of those tough chest boxes.:firedevil: For the price they charge for em that shouldn't happen.

Edit; I cannot take credit for the instructable, it's not my work.

jeepinmatt

OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
ThreadNecro.gif

Any chance @michaelmj11 or someone has the Jonsered case handy and could measure the outside dimensions? I bought the new Stihl Large case for my MS661 (after trying the medium case and realizing it was gonna take too much work to make it fit). Turns out the large case is almost 16" tall and won't fit through the 14" opening in my truck toolbox. I'd like to find something to put this 661 in so it doesn't get the usual truck wear.

Woodpecker

Sassy Madam
Staff member
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
View attachment 287556

Any chance @michaelmj11 or someone has the Jonsered case handy and could measure the outside dimensions? I bought the new Stihl Large case for my MS661 (after trying the medium case and realizing it was gonna take too much work to make it fit). Turns out the large case is almost 16" tall and won't fit through the 14" opening in my truck toolbox. I'd like to find something to put this 661 in so it doesn't get the usual truck wear.
Have you considered a bag?

https://www.farmandfleet.com/produc...OaBr9OIyv2ZMZaR_12dhq1i_gkxl42UYaAvCUEALw_wcB

jeepinmatt

OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Honestly no I haven't, but apparently I should. Do you know if a 661 will fit in that Trilink bag?

I think my biggest hesitation with a bag would be the fabric bottom always being soaked with oil, but looks like they have addressed that with a cloth or rubber bottom. Plus that price can't be beat. No Blain's near me, but $10 shipping, and there's a Rural King about an hour from me that I was just at this past weekend and didn't even think to look at cases, doh!

Woodpecker

Sassy Madam
Staff member
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Honestly no I haven't, but apparently I should. Do you know if a 661 will fit in that Trilink bag?

I think my biggest hesitation with a bag would be the fabric bottom always being soaked with oil, but looks like they have addressed that with a cloth or rubber bottom. Plus that price can't be beat. No Blain's near me, but $10 shipping, and there's a Rural King about an hour from me that I was just at this past weekend and didn't even think to look at cases, doh!
No idea if a bigger saw will fit. You could always make a regular tool bag work too. Some of those have coated rubber bottoms. I bet you'll be able to find something. I use regular cardboard as oil/fuel absorption pads in the couple hard cases I have. Burn and replace when saturated. They make great firestarters.

Looks like you can order that trilink bag through home depot.

I do have a couple black unbranded saw cases that look exactly like the above jonsered case. They measure 20" long by 12.75" tall by about the same wide. I got them at Menards

jeepinmatt

OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
I do have a couple black unbranded saw cases that look exactly like the above jonsered case. They measure 20" long by 12.75" tall by about the same wide. I got them at Menards
They have something similar at Northern Tool, but its too small.

No idea if a bigger saw will fit.
I don't think the MS661 is much bigger than a "regular" saw, just a touch longer/wider/taller in every dimension. Having it in a bag would actually help a ton because the Stihl large case is like 32" long, 16" tall, and about that wide, with a TON of wasted space. I was gonna put it in the 18x18x36" underbody toolbox on my truck, but it would consume like 90% of the useable space. I think the 661 in a bag would probably only consume about 50%, and might could even stagger the 046 in there beside it in another bag. I really appreciate the suggestion as it has allowed me to approach this with a completely different mindset. When I first discovered the big case wouldn't fit, I started looking at different toolboxes with wider openings to the tune of $300-500 :BangHead:, but a $20-30 bag :campeon: