TNTreehugger

Well-Known OPE Member
GoldMember
Local time
6:16 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
As a lands management professional, I have my applicator’s card and use some specialized herbicides to control invasives and exotics. 2,4-D is a bad herbicide and is relatively cheap for broad leaf and brush control. Judging by your comment about being surrounded by big ag farms, I would say they are fighting glyphosate resistant pig weed. 2,4-D ester will become volatile in the high heat and humidity of the south. We were taught ester before Easter, Amine after. Herbicides have been hard to come by since C19. I have went to planting less “hot crops” for wildlife and went to more early successional plant communities that provide more protein and better cover. What part of TN are you from? Always good to see another Tennessean in here!
Just curious... since you are in east TN, did you experience any 24D ester volatilization issues last year in your area?

Dustin4185

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
7:16 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Just curious... since you are in east TN, did you experience any 24D ester volatilization issues last year in your area?
Not really. Not many farmers used it alone. Many are going to Pasturegard or Duracore for pasture management. We don’t have many large scale row crop farmers.

BLACKOUT

Well-Known OPE Member
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Sorry to hear of your pup. We had to put our 12.5 year GSD down a few weeks ago due to old age. Before that was my darling dog daughter that had mammary cancer/lymphoma at a very fresh 7 years old.

I spray herbicide on my farm. One field at a time and the dogs are kept off them for at least two weeks afterwards. Gates/fencing ensures they can’t go on them. Personally, I wouldn’t use Ester based 24D on my fields.

TNTreehugger

Well-Known OPE Member
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Sorry to hear of your pup. We had to put our 12.5 year GSD down a few weeks ago due to old age. Before that was my darling dog daughter that had mammary cancer/lymphoma at a very fresh 7 years old.

I spray herbicide on my farm. One field at a time and the dogs are kept off them for at least two weeks afterwards. Gates/fencing ensures they can’t go on them. Personally, I wouldn’t use Ester based 24D on my fields.
Sorry about your doggies.

JB-PlantHeirloom

Super OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I am sorry to hear about the loss of your dog.

You are just a tiny little speck in a much larger agenda, you simply will not win or get "justice", and will only tire yourself trying, and get no where. In 2010 I literally sold the family farm in Maine where I wanted to retire and was a "when SHTF place" with 30 acres, right off what used to be a "lake", I had a well capped spring, and tiny fish in my streams. I used the money to try to stop what is happening now.

Instead of using man's means, what I and others have done is do something spiritually to delay the wrath of the Creator for a short time. That time to repent is almost up. I will drop you an e-mail to a website so you can maybe wrap your head around what is going to happen and the choice you should make.

Stay safe, stay sane.

Reactions: Lnk

TNTreehugger

Well-Known OPE Member
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I am sorry to hear about the loss of your dog.

You are just a tiny little speck in a much larger agenda, you simply will not win or get "justice", and will only tire yourself trying, and get no where. In 2010 I literally sold the family farm in Maine where I wanted to retire and was a "when SHTF place" with 30 acres, right off what used to be a "lake", I had a well capped spring, and tiny fish in my streams. I used the money to try to stop what is happening now.

Instead of using man's means, what I and others have done is do something spiritually to delay the wrath of the Creator for a short time. That time to repent is almost up. I will drop you an e-mail to a website so you can maybe wrap your head around what is going to happen and the choice you should make.

Stay safe, stay sane.
WTF, dude?

FergusonTO35

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
That wasn't meant to be an insult, sorry if it sounded that way. I study theology and history of religion.

Reactions: Lnk

TNTreehugger

Well-Known OPE Member
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
So, what are the rules here about religion, politics, conspiracy theories, etc...?
Is it all permitted in the Off-Topic section, or is there a special hidden section for Super-Gold Members?

FergusonTO35

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Lightly touching on these things is fine on occasion, but no drawn out arguments or insults. In general, if you need to talk about these things specifically and in depth this is not the place for it. And, I think we are alot better off without most of that stuff.

TNTreehugger

Well-Known OPE Member
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Lightly touching on these things is fine on occasion, but no drawn out arguments or insults. In general, if you need to talk about these things specifically and in depth this is not the place for it. And, I think we are alot better off without most of that stuff.
I concur.
I assume that includes, as a no-no, sending unsolicited PMs, for the sole purpose of ranting about these topics, to unsuspecting members?
Just want to make it clear I'm not interested in receiving those kinds of PMs.

TNTreehugger

Well-Known OPE Member
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Back for an update for anyone interested in the 2-4D portion of this post...

Unfortunately, the plant biologists who told me last year the chemical would winter over in the roots and come back up in the spring were right.
I am seeing damage to everything again, identical to the damage last year almost to the day/date.
There is also new damage from a different chemical they sprayed this year.
TDA inspector has been out twice so far this year to take samples. We're still waiting for the result.

Sadly, the days of being forgiving and hopeful are behind me now and I am left with no other options other than to move forward on the path to recovery, as in damages.
@Lone Wolf will be glad to know that I am one step away from hiring an attorney, but first I have to deal with the farmers insurance company.
Wish me luck. I'm going to need plenty of it.

Attaching some photos of this year's damage... of my neighbors property - he's the one who hired the farmer who did the spraying and told me on the phone this past Monday that he "hasn't noticed" any damage at his place. I hiked up the hill and took the photos as soon as I got off the phone. (He lives out of town and only visits the place about every other weekend)

All taken on 05/29/23.
fruit tree1.JPGhuge oak fencerow1.JPGhuge oak in field2.JPGwalnut chlorosis.JPGwhite oak center of hill.JPG

Last edited:

TNTreehugger

Well-Known OPE Member
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
For comparison, here's a couple of photos of one of my little white oaks, same size as the neighbors posted above.
One taken last year before I cut it to the ground after contamination and the other of this year's growth.

05/01/2022
whiteoak1.JPG

05/13/2022
Woak5.JPG

05/28/2023
white oak mutant leaves 2.JPG

Last edited: