Muh fingers look really big
GoldMember
Local time
2:53 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Truth

And I have found that most "flat plate" filing guides hold the file a bit too high for semi chisel

This type

iu
100% agree

CR888

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
4:53 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Just going by my 'eye' looking at your chain pic I figured it would cut to the right. Measure depth gauges on both side and bring down the ones on the left to match the right side. Some calibers might help here.
Thanks, CR888...I think it is to the right...I'm not keen on having to file those fins..

Philbert

Chainsaw Enthusiast
Local time
1:53 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Here's a few more pics I took this evening that might or might not help in this discussion/diagnosis...As well as the cheap gauge I used. I picked up a "progressive" Husky gauge tonight and I'm going to give that a try...
Sharpening is a skill, that also requires some practice/experience and a little bit of knowledge. Lots of ways to do it (files, grinders, rotary / Dremel tools, different types of file guides, etc.). Everybody needs to find something that works for them. Try what feels comfortable to you.

Couple of comments from your last photos (very helpful):

A simple way to compare Left and Right cutters is simply to hold them back-to-back. The ones in this photo are clearly different, but you can judge much smaller differences.
IMG_5326.jpg

The depth gauges on your Right side cutters look flatter than those on the Left side (could be the photo). The depth gauges on the Left are rounded over more, like they should be, after adjusting the height. They should mimic the OEM / factory shape. This could contribute to pulling to one side.
File from the 'inside out' on both sides, then round them over.
Screen shot 2020-01-08 at 10.42.39 PM.pngScreen shot 2020-01-08 at 10.54.18 PM.png

Nothing wrong with your depth gauge tool. It is a constant offset style; some versions of it offer 4, different settings: 0.025", 0.030", 0.035", and 0.040". Some offer just 2 settings, so make sure you are using the setting intended on all depth gauges.

Not sure if the Husqvarna progressive gauge will fit that chain with the low kickback bumpers: there are different models for 3/8" low profile chain (what you have) and full sized 3/8" pitch chain, as shown in @Wolverine 's post.

Keep us in the loop!

Philbert

Last edited:

Wonkydonkey

Plastic member
Local time
7:53 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Good Morning, I was having a read/catchup :)

As you probably have guessed, there are many views on what works and what is exceptable for each person.

This is a good pdf.
https://www.oregonproducts.eu/fileadmin/user_upload/PDF/MM_EN.pdf

I know there’s a lot in there, but there is a lot of chain types that you don’t need to know right now.
when you get the basics , which you already have. Read it and confirm what you already know, as well as what knowledge is conflicting to what you know.

So what chain you have, I think page 40, as Philbert says typical 91 type chain, or you may find a better matching type
Then look at the pages/pics I’ve added and see if you can identify what’s similar to yours and the cutting characteristics you have.
Then look for how to remedy the chain.
This is really what others have said, but with pic's as a reference for you so you can see what your aiming to achieve.

I think as well as others , no7 is part of your prob. And as someone else has already said the file guides sometimes hold the file to high.
If you take the file out of the holder you can file the gullet and give it a little more hook..

It will take you some time and maybe wear out a file or two in the meantime.

I'm hoping the see the improved results as you get better at it.
It does take time to learn to know what to look for and the remedy that is needed.

Cheers. :)

262BFA1F-7951-4BE8-AF04-A68CBC612994.jpeg
55CE2C93-EC29-4DAC-8A07-645D3E4799F6.jpeg
E9FA3F81-F94B-45E1-A9F1-E9DFBB72808A.jpeg

sonoransaw

Super OPE Member
Local time
11:53 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Thanks for all the additional tips and illustrations and advice....

Definitely needed that advice on filing rakers, Philbert. Man, I was just savaging them...

I started with the flat plate filing guide, but gave up on it...I just go free hand. I watched a couple guys who said to have the file 20% above the tooth when filing. That's what I've been trying to do, but the gullets probably get neglected too much sometimes with that.

Great illustration, Wonky! Thanks...that'll help....

Wolverine

dilligaf
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Picked this up last night, but yeah, like you said Philbert, guess it won't work on these chains....Oh well, good for my bigger saws anyway....wonder if they make a smaller one...
E1o875T.jpg
They have smaller ones on the Husky file guides, but you still won’t be able to use with safety rails.
597C0E3D-B813-4B8E-870B-F63A72C19D4E.png

With those raker guides that sit on top of the cutters, you will need to make every cutter the same length to cut straight. Pita!

Lightning Performance

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Skipped through page two fast.

Your pics on page one tell me you need to drop your file size on those worn down cutters because as Kevin said, drop the file, you need more hook. Your sharper side cutters are probably longer and have more hook or a sharper leading edge on the top plate. That will make your chain C cut. Practice fixing it with a file while bucking. You'll get it right if you try. Read the cutters leading edge. They tell a story. So does the drag after a fresh file swipe and a few cuts.

If you get used chains with uneven chassis from a whacked out bar, toss them. Fix or dress the bar flat and move on.

sonoransaw

Super OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Saw those at the store, Wolverine. Have to get one...darn those safety rails though....

Thanks, Lightning...good advice....become a student of the chain....

Philbert

Chainsaw Enthusiast
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag

Wonkydonkey

Plastic member
Local time
7:53 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Good evening,,, I was just having a reread. Through this thread !

This may be silly but I have to ask it.. because if I don’t, we’re going down a long street to nowhere. Please Read to the end and you will understand.

So do you know how to find out the pitch of you chain.. it’s in that pdf link ;)

Philbert said it looks like a typical 3\8 lopro.. in your pic you show a .325 file gauge.

Yes with some file gauges you can use them for any pitch of chain..as with some other gauges there not able to be used on different pitches.

#####
However, the size of files is very important with the pitch of chain,, and some manufacturers say different to others for the same pitch.
######

So if your using the wrong size file for the chain your never going to get it to cut properly..

So what is your chain pitch and the size of the file..
I can tell you I made the mistake of thinking I could use a 4mm file holder with a 5.5mm file... till it cut like crap and couldn’t understand why. Then the light bulb came on :BangHead: :facepalm: Only after reading through that pdf..

Btw. I can’t tell from the pic for sure if that chain is a .325 or 3/8 lopro, and some saws can be changed and peeps do change them..

Anyway if you are using the correct file for the chain, then please ignore this silly question :borra2:

Philbert

Chainsaw Enthusiast
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
@Wonkydonkey, the key thing was not that the chain was not cutting, but that it was no longer cutting straight.

A different diameter file may affect the speed of the cut, but should not cause the chain to pull to one side, if the cutters and depth gauges are filed evenly and equally.

Philbert

Last edited:

sonoransaw

Super OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Wonky, at this point all I can say is that the chain has the number 16 stamped on it, and I was using a 4 mm file on it with no holder....I'm studyin the pdf....

brushwacker

Super OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I hardly ever mess with gauges any more.
Wouldn't spend a lot of time on those myself. May be try making everything look even on both sides, if you can do it in 20 to 30 minutes it may be worth it if it cuts good afterwards. You can grind the tips off the bumper links and it would cut more like pro style chain but itd loose the low kick property. I'D spend less time on them and hopefully get them cut well enough to use if you need to make some cuts you don't want to ruin a good chain in.

CR888

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
4:53 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Depth gauge jigs/guides are great for consistent heights but won't necessarily help you with shape which is important too. Often the guide needs to be removed so you can properly shape D/G's.

Hedgerow

ONE OF THE GREATEST.....LONG LEGGED MIDGETS
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Good evening,,, I was just having a reread. Through this thread !

This may be silly but I have to ask it.. because if I don’t, we’re going down a long street to nowhere. Please Read to the end and you will understand.

So do you know how to find out the pitch of you chain.. it’s in that pdf link ;)

Philbert said it looks like a typical 3\8 lopro.. in your pic you show a .325 file gauge.

Yes with some file gauges you can use them for any pitch of chain..as with some other gauges there not able to be used on different pitches.

#####
However, the size of files is very important with the pitch of chain,, and some manufacturers say different to others for the same pitch.
######

So if your using the wrong size file for the chain your never going to get it to cut properly..

So what is your chain pitch and the size of the file..
I can tell you I made the mistake of thinking I could use a 4mm file holder with a 5.5mm file... till it cut like crap and couldn’t understand why. Then the light bulb came on :BangHead: :facepalm: Only after reading through that pdf..

Btw. I can’t tell from the pic for sure if that chain is a .325 or 3/8 lopro, and some saws can be changed and peeps do change them..

Anyway if you are using the correct file for the chain, then please ignore this silly question :borra2:
That is one ef'd up looking cat..

And Philbert is, if nothing else, thorough..

Just send the sonoransaw a jar of "The Force", and he'll have this chain sorted out in no time.

Lightning Performance

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Most times I free hand with the file. One or two hands depending on the damage or edge sharpness. I can't read the files without glass. Sometimes I wear them sometimes just go by feel. Gave up on that reading the size *s-word. I have metric and standard statue sizes. I just grab a file that fits my chain cutter height and go. The file handles make a huge difference in your comfort like filling full comp on the mill. 404 is just as easy as any lp. 1/4" is a pia. I don't run it.