calcutta250

Super OPE Member
GoldMember
Local time
12:00 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I have the small one. It is nice but you have to maintain the griddle. It might be worse for me in SC. And you’ll use a lot of oil.

One thing that is interesting is restaurants scrub their griddles to shiny. But the blackstone seems to not “require” that. I think you’ll need a lot of oil regardless.

They are nice though.

ammoaddict

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I have the small one. It is nice but you have to maintain the griddle. It might be worse for me in SC. And you’ll use a lot of oil.

One thing that is interesting is restaurants scrub their griddles to shiny. But the blackstone seems to not “require” that. I think you’ll need a lot of oil regardless.

They are nice though.
The shiny ones I've seen in restaurants are stainless steel. Once you get a good seasoning layer built up on the Blackstone, it really doesn't need that much oil. It is a pain that you have to clean it every time you finish cooking and then re oil it. It doesn't take long once you get the hang of it. I really like it. I got it the end of February and the second tank of gas is nearly empty.

calcutta250

Super OPE Member
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
The shiny ones I've seen in restaurants are stainless steel. Once you get a good seasoning layer built up on the Blackstone, it really doesn't need that much oil. It is a pain that you have to clean it every time you finish cooking and then re oil it. It doesn't take long once you get the hang of it. I really like it. I got it the end of February and the second tank of gas is nearly empty.
Stainless steel in normal cooking vessels are inherently known for stick. The remedy for that is a lot of oil so there is a layer of hot oil to stop the food products from sticking. Fry an egg in a stainless steel skillet and it becomes very obvious.

My seasoning was done properly. I also oiled it regularly. Then I forgot to oil it and the oil had thickened to where I had to heat it up and scrape it all off.

My experience from restaurants, watching cooks at work on pro equipment, and my little blackstone. You’ll need a lot of oil.

That is just my experience. Good discussion!

ammoaddict

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Stainless steel in normal cooking vessels are inherently known for stick. The remedy for that is a lot of oil so there is a layer of hot oil to stop the food products from sticking. Fry an egg in a stainless steel skillet and it becomes very obvious.

My seasoning was done properly. I also oiled it regularly. Then I forgot to oil it and the oil had thickened to where I had to heat it up and scrape it all off.

My experience from restaurants, watching cooks at work on pro equipment, and my little blackstone. You’ll need a lot of oil.

That is just my experience. Good discussion!
Yes stainless steel does stick but Blackstones are not stainless steel. They are more like a cast iron skillet. They have a video that shows you how to season it. They stress very THIN coat oil oil. Heat it up, let it cool and THIN coat of oil and repeat 3 or 4 times. If the oil layer is too thick it will do as you described. I have done that with cast iron skillets. Too thick of seasoning layer and it will become tacky and food will stick.

ammoaddict

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I use mine way more than I expected. I even plan on getting a smaller portable griddle to take with us while camping.

There are very few things you can do on a gas grill that you can't do on a blackstone. I use mine at least twice a week, sometimes a lot more. I keep forgetting to take pics to post on here.

ammoaddict

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Congrats. Looks well seasoned. Enjoy.