Best heater for work shed

Mark71gtx

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
7:04 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I was looking at those. I will have to run 240V to my shed to use them though. I really need to do that anyhow so I can bring my big Airco welder home...

P.M.P.

Stiff Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
++You, my friend, are juggling LIVE hand-grenades if you have gas cans and wood stoves in the same building. Gasoline is highly flammable, meaning a small leak can give fumes that travel 20-feet across a room FLOOR, and ignite, flashing fire across the room like backdraft (the movie); (the same reason that water heaters in a garage are put 18" off the floor). I would (recommend) building a separate doghouse to store gas/ flammables/ chainsaws/ mowers in. That is what I did, 4x8x 4-5ft high, double doors, vented, on blocks, away from shop. Personally, i have had paint remover cans and gas cans unexpectedly start leaking onto a floor; fortunately, I had no flame source at the time.

- Alternately, put flammables in a milk crate/s and take it outdoors when working with wood burning. p.s. I know of a house/ garage/ boat/ car that burned when a guy took 8-day old wood ash in a paper bag to his garage one night... they all lived...
hqdefault.jpg

Terry Hennessy

Well-Known OPE Member
Local time
6:04 AM
User ID
Reaction score
As to the 2 northern tool solar heaters,the BTU out put on the big one is 900BTU's and the small one 518 BTU's.At the low end my coal stove puts out about 6000 BYU's and that just helps on days in the 50's outside in an insulated home.You go below 50 and these things would be nice to look at but not much good.Seems awful expensive for a heater that may be no more then a novelty heater.And on overcast days around here it would not even work.

In my shed I use 1 or 2 torpedo heaters.One runs on kerosene and one on propane.I am not saying that these are the best but either works for me.An old kerosun type heater would also work.
Makes me want to dig out the math, but first impression is you would get more heat out of a 100w incandescent, than out of that solar, LOL

Terry Hennessy

Well-Known OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
electric wont heat my little shed so i burn wood or coal in this
View attachment 4997
Hope not in that location, with no flue to outside; asking for carbon monoxide poisoning. Sorry if I (seem) overbearing, but I am a retired Safety Officer, and ex-Scout Leader. We had a parent (30-yr ago) of a new cub scout on 1st camp out climb into his pickup w/ a propane heater one cold night, and he was found dead the next morning.

mt.stalker

Super OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Yes , those oil filled radiators work well and are fairly efficient ( for electric) imo

Terry Hennessy

Well-Known OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
++You, my friend, are juggling LIVE hand-grenades if you have gas cans and wood stoves in the same building. Gasoline is highly flammable, meaning a small leak can give fumes that travel 20-feet across a room FLOOR, and ignite, flashing fire across the room like backdraft (the movie); (the same reason that water heaters in a garage are put 18" off the floor). I would (recommend) building a separate doghouse to store gas/ flammables/ chainsaws/ mowers in. That is what I did, 4x8x 4-5ft high, double doors, vented, on blocks, away from shop. Personally, i have had paint remover cans and gas cans unexpectedly start leaking onto a floor; fortunately, I had no flame source at the time.

- Alternately, put flammables in a milk crate/s and take it outdoors when working with wood burning. p.s. I know of a house/ garage/ boat/ car that burned when a guy took 8-day old wood ash in a paper bag to his garage one night... they all lived...
The hazard of gasoline/ flammables fumes
http://woodworkingcrazy.net/index.p...soline-to-burn-some-branches-in-his-backyard/

Terry Hennessy

Well-Known OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
One other thing: Diesel/ Kerosene is "Combustible" (like wood/ cardboard), meaning flash point is such that you have to put a flame directly on it before it ignites. Different behavior than gasoline, and WHY gas is NOT a good cleaning agent.

stihl saws

You can always justify another saw.
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
The oil filled radiator is your safest solution. Nothing to ignite anything unless you throw stuff on top of it.

Mark71gtx

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Hell, I would just be happy with power for now! It has been off since Friday afternoon. Ice has brought trees down all around here. None at the house though..

athando

OPE Member
Local time
2:04 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Just my two cents...

I built a 36X34 timber frame barn like this types of heaters https://10carbest.com/best-garage-heaters The barn has three bays 34ft long and 12 ft wide. The barn also has an up stairs that is 24X22. One of the bays is open to the rafters.

I use a small radiant heater upstairs in the woodshop. This heater is perfect because I stay in one place for some time.

Downstairs where the vehicles are parked, I use a torpedo heater. I find this heater better down stairs because it heats the surrounding air and generally heats up the entire barn. I like this better down stairs because I tend to be walking around working on the boats or the trailer.

I power both heaters off propane. I have even been known to take the 30lb bottles off the trailer and use them on the torpedo heater.

The torpedo heater makes a lot of noise and burns propane at a greater rate. One of my winter projects is to put disk brakes on the airstream. I'm kind of looking forward to the project because I know I won't be cold using the torpedo heater.

I hope this helps you in your decisions

Last edited: