Best heater for work shed

Mark71gtx

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
4:17 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
What would you use? I have a (roughly) 10' x 16' tool shed that I work out of. I do not want to burn wood because I have way too much highly flammable stuff in here (solvents, fuel, and such). I am currently using a Sunbeam quartz heater that does okay, but I am sure there is something better. I would like it to be somewhat small as space is at a premium in here with all of the saws, toolboxes, compressor, parts washer... Would one of those oil radiators be worth looking into? This heater throws a lot of heat, but only in the direction it is pointed. I don't get the cold here that most of you get, so I figured you guys in the frozen lands could teach this southerner something about getting some heat!

Mark71gtx

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
My little heater.

Attachments

• 1453167983602-1130613051.jpg
    1453167983602-1130613051.jpg
    138 KB · Views: 17

Mark71gtx

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I figured most would. It just seems too dangerous for what I have in this shed. I am probably over thinking this, but I really don't want to burn this thing down!

P.M.P.

Stiff Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I have gas cans and acetone that are probaly 15 feet away from a barrel stove.I double check everything all the time only use it when Iam out there.I worry more about leaving something electic plugged in than I do the wood stove.

Mark71gtx

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I have a buddy who had a woodstove in his garage. He burned it down. He managed to get both of his Chevy 2 Novas out before it got too bad. He lost his welder, tractor, all of his power tools, and a ton of other stuff. I also would have to revamp the whole layout. I just built shelves down both sides last year. I would hate to tear them right back down. I think I can get the electric heater cheaper here than a wood heater. It seems like everyone around here wants a woodstove.

Mark71gtx

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
That is pretty cool, but I don't have any windows. Just double barn style doors on one end. The previous owner used to keep his Harley in it.

Mark71gtx

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Yeah. I mostly work in there at night, after 8pm when I get the girls to bed. I don't know if the solar heater will be much help. It don't help that the shed is not insulated either...

Terry Hennessy

Well-Known OPE Member
Local time
3:17 AM
User ID
Reaction score
What would you use? I have a (roughly) 10' x 16' tool shed that I work out of. I do not want to burn wood because I have way too much highly flammable stuff in here (solvents, fuel, and such). I am currently using a Sunbeam quartz heater that does okay, but I am sure there is something better. I would like it to be somewhat small as space is at a premium in here with all of the saws, toolboxes, compressor, parts washer... Would one of those oil radiators be worth looking into? This heater throws a lot of heat, but only in the direction it is pointed. I don't get the cold here that most of you get, so I figured you guys in the frozen lands could teach this southerner something about getting some heat!

- Basic 120v electric heater cannot exceed about 5100-btu on 15-amp, regardless of type, but radiator type is potentially safer, as not hot spot/ ignition spot, (FOR CONTROLLING RISK AROUND FLAMMABLES, re: fume/ flash point) even if you lay a towel on it, (so I have been told); BUT I HAVE NEVER USED ONE. Gas/ solvent soaked rag, NOT SO MUCH safe :) The best you can do is add insulation; my SIL just replaced aluminum garage door w/ insulated panel garage door, and dau. said room has not dropped below 50-f (currently 20'f); she is really impressed (rest of room was already insulated)

Terry Hennessy

Well-Known OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
I have gas cans and acetone that are probaly 15 feet away from a barrel stove.I double check everything all the time only use it when Iam out there.I worry more about leaving something electic plugged in than I do the wood stove.
++You, my friend, are juggling LIVE hand-grenades if you have gas cans and wood stoves in the same building. Gasoline is highly flammable, meaning a small leak can give fumes that travel 20-feet across a room FLOOR, and ignite, flashing fire across the room like backdraft (the movie); (the same reason that water heaters in a garage are put 18" off the floor). I would (recommend) building a separate doghouse to store gas/ flammables/ chainsaws/ mowers in. That is what I did, 4x8x 4-5ft high, double doors, vented, on blocks, away from shop. Personally, i have had paint remover cans and gas cans unexpectedly start leaking onto a floor; fortunately, I had no flame source at the time.

- Alternately, put flammables in a milk crate/s and take it outdoors when working with wood burning. p.s. I know of a house/ garage/ boat/ car that burned when a guy took 8-day old wood ash in a paper bag to his garage one night... they all lived...

Woodchopper

Well-Known OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
As to the 2 northern tool solar heaters,the BTU out put on the big one is 900BTU's and the small one 518 BTU's.At the low end my coal stove puts out about 6000 BYU's and that just helps on days in the 50's outside in an insulated home.You go below 50 and these things would be nice to look at but not much good.Seems awful expensive for a heater that may be no more then a novelty heater.And on overcast days around here it would not even work.

In my shed I use 1 or 2 torpedo heaters.One runs on kerosene and one on propane.I am not saying that these are the best but either works for me.An old kerosun type heater would also work.

Mark71gtx

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I will insulate eventually, but I have too much work to get done before I can. The saws I need to get out will hopefully pay for the insulation - unless he keeps paying me in saws...

jake wells

no longer here
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
electric wont heat my little shed so i burn wood or coal in this
OdPp5Sfd2yKJ8U.JIepFcw-small.jpg

czar800

Mastermind Approved!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I would invest your money in sealing up the cracks and some insulation. That will get you farther than investing in a bigger heater.

I would use a oil filled heater myself.
I can heat a two stall uninsalated garage with one.

image.png

Magic_Man

Oh Yea !
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
I will insulate eventually, but I have too much work to get done before I can. The saws I need to get out will hopefully pay for the insulation - unless he keeps paying me in saws...
It wouldn't take much insulation, you would be surprised how just putting some of that silver backed foam board on the ceiling and taping the seams would improve it. All your heat is just escaping out through the roof and gable.

czar800

Mastermind Approved!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
We heat the garage for birthdays parties and other big gatherings.

image.jpeg

Last edited: