TreeLife

I'm Dominick
GoldMember
Local time
9:02 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
So...this year I have made some significant changes to my life and what my goals are. I stopped doing things that weren't so good for me and focused on making my life better.

I bought my first (and last) home, my grand mother's. The place my mother grew up, where I spent countless summer days swimming, exploring the swamp and enjoying my grandmother and her long time partner, Ed. This little house means more to me than I could possibly put into words.

After buying the place I started checking out the shed. On the shelf lay what appears to be a very original 024 "wood boss" stihl that had apparently come equipped with an original "picco" setup. It was missing a recoil assembly, but I have sourced one from a member of the forum and am yet to install it.

I am looking for a picco setup for the old saw and perhaps someone to go thru it and make it a good, reliable and strong runner. Any and all help would be greatly appreciated. This saw faithfully cut firewood to heat my house until old Ed couldn't wield her any longer. I'd like to make it right and true in his honor.

When I was a little fella Ed would take time to educate me about the Native American peoples, appreciating folks from other lands, and respecting my fellow man. Edmund King was a tremendous influence on my life. I dont know why I'm writing this...I've grown sentimental over the past few months working on the house.

It's odd how something simple like a saw, a picture or a small thing can bring one back to another time or place.

Sorry for my absence,
Dominick

bulletpruf

Pinnacle OPE Member
GoldMember
Local time
3:02 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
So...this year I have made some significant changes to my life and what my goals are. I stopped doing things that weren't so good for me and focused on making my life better.

I bought my first (and last) home, my grand mother's. The place my mother grew up, where I spent countless summer days swimming, exploring the swamp and enjoying my grandmother and her long time partner, Ed. This little house means more to me than I could possibly put into words.

After buying the place I started checking out the shed. On the shelf lay what appears to be a very original 024 "wood boss" stihl that had apparently come equipped with an original "picco" setup. It was missing a recoil assembly, but I have sourced one from a member of the forum and am yet to install it.

I am looking for a picco setup for the old saw and perhaps someone to go thru it and make it a good, reliable and strong runner. Any and all help would be greatly appreciated. This saw faithfully cut firewood to heat my house until old Ed couldn't wield her any longer. I'd like to make it right and true in his honor.

When I was a little fella Ed would take time to educate me about the Native American peoples, appreciating folks from other lands, and respecting my fellow man. Edmund King was a tremendous influence on my life. I dont know why I'm writing this...I've grown sentimental over the past few months working on the house.

It's odd how something simple like a saw, a picture or a small thing can bring one back to another time or place.

Sorry for my absence,
Dominick

Is the saw in generally good condition? Not locked up and no significant damage? If so, that should be easy enough to mechanically refurbish.

It would help if you removed the muffler and posted a picture of the piston and did a compression check, but something that's been sitting a while will generally need a good cleaning, new fuel and impulse lines, carb rebuilt, maybe a new intake boot, clean and lube clutch bearing, crank seals (likely still good, but in the "might as well" category), and possibly piston rings or maybe a new piston.

Wood Doctor

Edwin
Local time
8:02 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Here's an 024 that I boosted up to an o26:
upload_2022-12-1_17-54-2.jpeg
I really liked this saw and so does the guy who bought it from me. I sold it only because I already owned at that time two 026 PROs.

Attachments

• upload_2022-12-1_17-51-14.jpeg
    upload_2022-12-1_17-51-14.jpeg
    155 KB · Views: 3

Al Smith

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
9:02 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I've got an 024 WB I bought from a dealer for $50 ,complete .It had a slightly scorched exhaust side of the piston caused by a restrictive muffler and perhaps getting stingy with the mix ratio on the fuel .I gutted the muffler which is standard practice for me ,retuned it and it does just fine for 42 cc's .Never touched the piston/cylinder . It's very dependable .It's set up for .325 chain ,16" bar . I once toyed with the idea of changing to an .026 cylinder but decided not to .Besides that if I need more power I've got plenty of saws to handle that task . It's the perfect size for cutting up those little wind blown downed ash trees I have galore . Actually I like them, don't need to be split .