Bar oil alternative

old saw fixer

Super OPE Member
Local time
3:58 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I bought a gallon of Echo bar oil yesterday for $12.95. That makes 3 unopened gallons on the shelf, enough to last me a while. E10 gasoline at Costco was $4.00/gallon.

jakethesnake

I Am The Snake
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Don't have any of those stores nearby. Lowe's is the closest, 65 miles away
Same here. Lowe’s is about 45 minutes from me but I’m not riding 45 minutes to pick up bar oil.

Tractor supply is closer. They were out in both close location.

still haven’t tried the canola oil but I should know my opinion by this summer. 6.50 a gallon shipped to your door is pretty hard to complain about.

Funky sawman

Pony Power
Local time
12:58 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Same here. Lowe’s is about 45 minutes from me but I’m not riding 45 minutes to pick up bar oil.

Tractor supply is closer. They were out in both close location.

still haven’t tried the canola oil but I should know my opinion by this summer. 6.50 a gallon shipped to your door is pretty hard to complain about.
Yea I have a tractor supply about 15 miles away, the only bar oil they have in stock is by the quart, and it's 9.95!!!!!?

Nutball

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
2:58 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Don't have any of those stores nearby. Lowe's is the closest, 65 miles away
My point was to get it shipped from them. Cross Stahl's off the list, their shipping is too much, but I got a reasonable deal from RK and Blair's, like $12/gal shipped.

Woodpecker

Sassy Madam
Staff member
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
The middle of the land shaped like a hand
Country flag
I said I thought that by gear oil squeeze bottles made my bar oil smell like gear oil. Turns out Home Depot bar oil smells like gear oil. And I just bought 4 gallons…
I had a batch of Mystic like that. I think I bought a case for 2.99 a gallon a couple years ago. I think I still have an emergency use only gallon kicking around here somewhere. :facepalm:

Wilhelm

Here For The Long Haul!
GoldMember
Local time
9:58 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
This is an actual recent picture taken at some Croatian supermarket (not by me, I just mocked up the text)!
Must be the same idiots that are still using hundreds of toilet paper rolls they purchased 2020.
The guy doesn't even wear his face mask properly.

With crap like this going on for a week, 1 liter of mineral oil is again cheaper than 1 liter of sunflower/rapeseed/cooking oil.

d3a18a05-f4f4-446c-a905-9baef1355e37~2.jpeg

Last edited:

jakethesnake

I Am The Snake
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Chain was wet when I blipped the saw a couple times…. I’d say it’s working.

I didn’t have trouble lubricating with veggie oil blend in the past. I had trouble with it rotting in the tank.

be curious to see how this goes this time around.

Apparently 100 percent canola behaves differently

time will tell

Likesaws

Super OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I tried canola oil worked great oiling. Let it set to long it will gum up. Chain did not want to move. Little we 40 or pb blaster freed things up. Saw needed a good cleaning anyway. Will rot if left in jug to long.
Cheapest alternative is used oil out of log splitter.

jakethesnake

I Am The Snake
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I’ve used most of a gallon of canola. Oils the chain fine. I will say the chain gets gummy almost like it’s been dunked in a super light grease. I’m not converted yet but I’m not experiencing lube issues

I’m gonna let the saw set for months at some point so I’ll see if the tank rots or remains liquid.

for science