J.Noss

Super OPE Member
GoldMember
Local time
4:39 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Trying to find out if anyone knows of a quality high-output bar oil pump made for the Mark 2 550xp? I've tried searching everywhere but came up dry.. saw is great power-wise but running a 18" or bigger with 8pin .325 it's just not putting out the oil amount I'd like, find I've gotta always use the really good (expensive) kinds so that it's slick enough on max output and now that it's ported and geared up it's even inadequate with the high dollar stuff. I'd appreciate any help as I've pretty much looked everywhere I can think to

Timjus

Super OPE Member
Local time
11:39 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Trying to find out if anyone knows of a quality high-output bar oil pump made for the Mark 2 550xp? I've tried searching everywhere but came up dry.. saw is great power-wise but running a 18" or bigger with 8pin .325 it's just not putting out the oil amount I'd like, find I've gotta always use the really good (expensive) kinds so that it's slick enough on max output and now that it's ported and geared up it's even inadequate with the high dollar stuff. I'd appreciate any help as I've pretty much looked everywhere I can think to
grind the stock pump angle steeper

Squareground3691

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Have you opened up the oil hole on the bar yet? Often that is the first choke point.
Tsumura bars , seem to have a good size hole ,but that clear lacquer some put on the bars will close up hole and have to clear them out , center drill always helps ,

J.Noss

Super OPE Member
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Have you opened up the oil hole on the bar yet? Often that is the first choke point.
Alright thanks I'll have to try that I have noticed some bars are smaller holed and have done that before

J.Noss

Super OPE Member
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Tsumura bars , seem to have a good size hole ,but that clear lacquer some put on the bars will close up hole and have to clear them out , center drill always helps ,
Bar is just regular weight stock husky bar that came w/saw, I always clean it out everyday I run the saw and I thought it looked to be decent sized, AL core Versacut bars on big saws weren't and needed a drill.

heimannm

Here For The Long Haul!
GoldMember
Local time
3:39 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
The oiler is adjustable, do you have it turned up all the way? My MM modded 550 pumps plenty of oil for the 18" bar.

Mark

J.Noss

Super OPE Member
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
The oiler is adjustable, do you have it turned up all the way? My MM modded 550 pumps plenty of oil for the 18" bar.

Mark
Yeah it's up all the way, only has 3 clicks or so from min to max.. I guess I'm someone who just likes lots of bar oil. Wood I cut is awful hard and dry when I'm into the Locust that's been dead and laying for 20+yrs without any bark so that's a big factor too

Nutball

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
3:39 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Certain woods tend to suck the oil off faster, a bigger rim means less oil per chain distance traveled, and the bigger chips, caused by the more aggressive chain a ported saw can run, wipe more oil out of the bar groove. When it all comes together, it can really dry seize a short bar and chain even on saws that empty their oil tank before the gas runs out.

Time will either be lost to stopping mid cut a couple times with the chain still going to let the oil catch up, or stopping to refill twice per tank of gas with a high output pump.

Less aggressive chain might help, as well as an opened up clutch cover to better let the chips out so the drive links don't drag so many through the rails. Or use a longer bar, leaving extra space between the log and power head.

Also, switching to a skip chain or at least 3/8 might help a little (fewer chips)

Hickory and Ash are particularly good at drying out chains.

Wilhelm

Here For The Long Haul!
GoldMember
Local time
10:39 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
This, oil holes are ridiculously small on modern/current bars!

On Dolmar saws small mount Husky bars oiler holes do not line up well to the oiler groove on the saws PH/case.
I ground oiler holes DOWNWARD on a couple k095 bars of mine and immediately noticed increased oil delivery to the chain.
Take calipers and check for proper alignment.

Also, utilize thinner oil.
Thick and sticky actually counteracts flow!
Try manual gearbox oil (usually around 68 viscosity), or tractor engine oil (40 to 60 viscosity).
The thinner less sticky oil will also decrease resistance of the chain turning around the bar.

Eduardo K

I like caramel.
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
This is a great thread. I have a 24” Oregon Versacut bar that I’ve noticed a ton of wear on. It’s light and relatively cheap so I figured that was the trade off. I’m guessing the oiler hole just need some porting. I’ll look at my tsumura bar and compare them.