Another chainsaw dyno...

Maintenance Chief

Disrupting the peace with an old chainsaw
Local time
12:59 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Man that thing sounds like an RM 100. Hard to imagine is only 50cc. Watching the video seeing it cut you would think it was 90cc.
The only modifications for that 10-10 are a chip to replace the points and I sewed a unifilter over the screen where the frocking used to reside.

Red97

Mastermind Approved!
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
What application are the 2511 mufflers used for without the cat? Im assuming another country?

I'm not exactly sure. I think it is the opposite. Other country get the cat and mose here don't. It is a us dealer getting/stocking the non cat mufflers?

Red97

Mastermind Approved!
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
So you buy them from your local dealer? Does it even matter in your experience once bypassed? Assuming the cat is located at the back of the muffler towards the operator.

Sawsalvage.co

The duke has them. Not sure it makes a huge difference once modified.

NightRogue

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
12:59 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I'm not exactly sure. I think it is the opposite. Other country get the cat and mose here don't. It is a us dealer getting/stocking the non cat mufflers?
Over here they come with 3 small holes on the baffle where you guys get the cat

Sent from my NOH-NX9 using Tapatalk

mrxlh

AYFSMRN
Local time
11:59 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
A thermocouple plug washer recording cylinder temps would add to the dyno's box of tricks. Keeping saws in the safe zone and also used as a tuning aid.
Actually an exhaust gas analyzer will aid the dyno/operator much better than a thermocouple for tuning purposes……Heat is a byproduct of work performed, but he already has a dyno to tell him the “work” output.

TreeLife

I'm Dominick
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Actually an exhaust gas analyzer will aid the dyno/operator much better than a thermocouple for tuning purposes……Heat is a byproduct of work performed, but he already has a dyno to tell him the “work” output.
I like your idea of a gas analyzer, but wouldn't you think a mixture reading would be inaccurate with a 2 cycle? It burning its lubricant in however minor of a quantity would have to affect its ratio, right?

mrxlh

AYFSMRN
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I like your idea of a gas analyzer, but wouldn't you think a mixture reading would be inaccurate with a 2 cycle? It burning its lubricant in however minor of a quantity would have to affect its ratio, right?
NOx is what it is and so is CO oil be damned, I have seen large 2 stroke stationary engines slobbering oil out the stack and still pass an emissions test. Mess with one other combustion variable and not so much. Point is, if you own a dyno and a screwdriver, why not own another piece of analytical equipment that can prove the tuning of a saw???? I’m only on page 48, so there is that, however I think I know what Joe is after here.

Bigmac

Mastermind Approved!
Local time
9:59 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I have dyno access for my quads and mx
2t, and
Exhaust analysts is an option, but for 2t you are
On the hook for the ruined sensors, and a good operator knows a decent tune. 4t are completely different

Red97

Mastermind Approved!
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
NOx is what it is and so is CO oil be damned, I have seen large 2 stroke stationary engines slobbering oil out the stack and still pass an emissions test. Mess with one other combustion variable and not so much. Point is, if you own a dyno and a screwdriver, why not own another piece of analytical equipment that can prove the tuning of a saw???? I’m only on page 48, so there is that, however I think I know what Joe is after here.

I'll have to look into one.

I like gadgets and gizmos. I also like to keep things simple too.

If I add 500 tests and checks to a regular dyno pull that takes the fun out of it for sure.

Nutball

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
So, the saw with more low end torque had the up angled transfers and bigger intake?

Can you get better chain alignment, maybe put a block under the saw? I'm just afraid of the chain jumping off, or pulling too hard on the top corner of the bar adding friction.