Another chainsaw dyno...

Nutball

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
8:39 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Any tuned pipe support mounts attaching to the handle area needs to be somewhat flexible to not torque on the pipe since the handles move around relative to the engine.

timg

Supporter of Cat Eating Komatsu Machinery
GoldMember
Local time
9:39 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Nice to see a marriage of talents to develope these.pipes Joe. Like your presentation and explanations as always. Pleasantly surprised to hear the expected cost's of the pipes. I know you prolly have enough on your plate. But if you could do the install and offer a package price with Dyno runs documented from stock to.pipe modded, to saw porting mods, it would be advantageous to the both of you guys. I think you are mostly doing this already correct??

Dieselshawn

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Those pipes look awesome on the saws.

I have a pipe myself that I had fitted to a MS260 years ago. It didn’t work well. Just made a lot of noise and less power than a muffler.

I had been told that the exhaust port needs to be higher up to properly use a tuned pipe.

Joe’s video shows once again what a properly tuned muffler or pipe actually does for a 2 stroke.

I was amazed at the extra power that 660 put out and that was a stock saw.

Red97

Mastermind Approved!
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Nice to see a marriage of talents to develope these.pipes Joe. Like your presentation and explanations as always. Pleasantly surprised to hear the expected cost's of the pipes. I know you prolly have enough on your plate. But if you could do the install and offer a package price with Dyno runs documented from stock to.pipe modded, to saw porting mods, it would be advantageous to the both of you guys. I think you are mostly doing this already correct??

Still in the testing phases.

I believe the plan is for me to test the pipes on the powerheads to make sure they are working well. They will streamline the process, add mounts and offer these in small batches.

Red97

Mastermind Approved!
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Those pipes look awesome on the saws.

I have a pipe myself that I had fitted to a MS260 years ago. It didn’t work well. Just made a lot of noise and less power than a muffler.

I had been told that the exhaust port needs to be higher up to properly use a tuned pipe.

Joe’s video shows once again what a properly tuned muffler or pipe actually does for a 2 stroke.

I was amazed at the extra power that 660 put out and that was a stock saw.

Could be part if the reason the 660 gained as well as it did. They tend to have a lot higher exhaust than most.

Will know more if some of the other pipes work better on the stock 455

NightRogue

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
9:39 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Thanks Joe , I just finished porting and tuning my clone 090. It's definitely a handful!
The numbers on that saw is unconventional, and we're going to push it even further

@Red97 i might have some crazy idea in mind, if i can make it happen then there will be a 3rd dyno run

Last edited:

Red97

Mastermind Approved!
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I still cannot believe he has not had a 266/268/272 on there yet, there is like a million of them around.

Very few of them around here. Hardly ever see them for sale. I did 1 61-272 swap. Could have just been the porting but it didn't put out great power.

Being the only one it is hard to tell.

I did a stint, collecting all the 2 series when I first started saws.... Not a fan anymore, I just don't think they like me.

028,038,044 could be endless opportunities for the millions of those too!

Never seen the 028, and only 1 038. But never ported it.

I like the 044 chassis pretty well.

farminkarman

I like the red & black ones
GoldMember
Local time
8:39 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Very few of them around here. Hardly ever see them for sale. I did 1 61-272 swap. Could have just been the porting but it didn't put out great power.

Being the only one it is hard to tell.

I did a stint, collecting all the 2 series when I first started saws.... Not a fan anymore, I just don't think they like me.
I've had similar experiences with the 2 series huskies. Then again, my sample size is small, so they could have been duds. My local Stihl/Husky dealer had a little GTG this spring. He has a well broken-in 562xp that we ran against a couple of his pals saws. One was a 262 and the other a 272. The 562xp beat both of them....chains were all sharpened by my dealer. At the time I had a 288xp that was supposedly ported and it got utterly wasted by Capt Blueberry (same 37" B&C on both).

Edit: I should add that Capt Blueberry is a Makita DCS6401 that @Stump Shot put a 7900 top end on and ported....So 79cc ported vs. 87cc ported.

Last edited:

David Young

Safety First !!!!!!
Staff member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Joe I don’t know if you have covered this but… have you tried different blowdown’s or staggered ports or transfer angles to see the impact on the power curves?