Another chainsaw dyno...

RI Chevy

Mastermind Approved!
Local time
3:01 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I don't think it's "WE" dynoing anything at all.

Joe is the one doing all the work and puts in the time only to have more suggestions thrown at him and internet strangers critique what he's doing..I give the guy credit...from start to finish this dude puts a ton of effort into this contraption.

I think the guys that are into this thread should be thankful for what they get.

Personal opinion.
Yes sir.

huskyboy

Sorta a husqvarna guy...
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Some people work for a living and don’t have time to comment on every single thread on this forum let alone do everything that you suggest. Just Sayin
I don’t think Jeff meant to sound condescending by asking a question. After all the only dumb question is the one that isn’t asked right? It’s how I learn anyway. He just wanted to know if anyone had tested the gains from individual modifications. I think a lot of people are curious about that. Not just Jeff. Maybe if Joe had a dyno day like we did for the CT gtg, people could test out individual modifications without having to ship back and forth?

cuinrearview

Unskilled Hammer Donkey
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I don’t think Jeff meant to sound condescending by asking a question. After all the only dumb question is the one that isn’t asked right? It’s how I learn anyway. He just wanted to know if anyone had tested the gains from individual modifications. I think a lot of people are curious about that. Not just Jeff. Maybe if Joe had a dyno day like we did for the CT gtg, people could test out individual modifications without having to ship back and forth?
I have been to Joe's dyno day/costume party.20200814_144305.jpg

MustangMike

Mastermind Approved!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Jeff, Joe has dynoed saws stock, with muff mods, and I believe with timing advance. It gives a good indication of the progression.

The trouble is there are too many variables. Each saw is different, the order in which changes are made will change how much benefit each mod shows, etc.

For example, maybe a muff mod adds 5% to a specific saw, but if you did a timing advance first, maybe the muff mod would add 10%, and the timing advance would not do any good till the muff mod was done. Etc, etc.

RI Chevy

Mastermind Approved!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Oh no Mike. Get ready for the hate squad to come out.

I realize all that Mike.
I just thought it would be interesting to just take "A" saw and show the progression and gains for each mod done. Doesn't matter what order, just to see the gains made. Don't care if its the "strongest saw ever," or "fastest saw ever." Don't care what brand. Don't care who does it.
Just a plain and simple normal port job from start to finish. Document the results along the way. The dyno IS the tool that we use to judge a saw. I thought this was a forum that we could all learn from.

I'm seeing now it doesn't seem to be the case.

Woodpecker

Sassy Madam
Staff member
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
The middle of the land shaped like a hand
Country flag
Yes sir. I sent a saw to Joe for a DYNO run. 262XP.
Oh good you've recognized the first step. Next would be to pick the saw youd like to send to Joe to carry out your vision. It would
Be best to hash out the details with Joe in a PM.

sawmikaze

Mastermind Approved!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Oh no Mike. Get ready for the hate squad to come out.

I realize all that Mike.
I just thought it would be interesting to just take "A" saw and show the progression and gains for each mod done. Doesn't matter what order, just to see the gains made. Don't care if its the "strongest saw ever," or "fastest saw ever." Don't care what brand. Don't care who does it.
Just a plain and simple normal port job from start to finish. Document the results along the way. The dyno IS the tool that we use to judge a saw. I thought this was a forum that we could all learn from.

I'm seeing now it doesn't seem to be the case.

I see where you're goin' with that. Not a bad idea at all...I even think that would be cool to see..

But until someone is willing to participate in the steps required...you guys will have to be happy with what you get.

Saying - "I thought this was a forum we could learn from" and that clearly isn't the case is a pretty ignorant statement. We've all learned a ton from this forum in just about every department chainsaw related. Those comments are gonna make these guys bust your stones and then you'll get defensive...see any trend there ?

RI Chevy

Mastermind Approved!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Oh good you've recognized the first step. Next would be to pick the saw youd like to send to Joe to carry out your vision. It would
Be best to hash out the details with Joe in a PM.
Ha Ha Ha too funny

No problem. I'll go do my own saw testing.
I don't have a saw to send, but I'd be glad to pony up some money to have a saw done and tested out. Saves me a hunnid on shipping alone.

RI Chevy

Mastermind Approved!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Yes sir. I never expected it done for free.

deye223

AIR FUEL SPARK VROOOOOM
Local time
5:01 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Do they run it for 45 seconds like it would be in a long loaded cut. Seem to see them pull to full rpm and drop off to idle.
No they don't not for a Dyno run but if the OP wants to he could load up a chainsaw for 2 minutes on the Dyno if the unit could handle the heat and stresses .