Another chainsaw dyno...

MustangMike

Mastermind Approved!
Local time
7:02 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Diesel has no Octane. It has minimum 40 Cetane.

They don't publish the octane rating for diesel, but of course it has an octane rating.

The reason it is not important is because all diesels are direct injection, which eliminates pre ignition.

The Cetane rating (burn rate) is more important.

Octane rating is simply the temp it takes to ingnite the ignition. The higher the temp to ignite the charge, the higher the octane rating.

A higher octane rating allows higher compression, which can produce more power.

With direct injection, the detergents in the fuel become one of the most important features.

Direct injectors are exposed to intense heat and are therefore hard to keep clean.

RI Chevy

Mastermind Approved!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
If I recall, in upstate NY (near the GTG) they had 91 E free, but you can not find it anywhere near me. (That was about 2 hours away from me).
Yes. That's the station I was referring to. Someone told me it was at all stations in NY. Lol
That fuel runs real good in saws and OPE.

MustangMike

Mastermind Approved!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Yes. That's the station I was referring to. Someone told me it was at all stations in NY. Lol
That fuel runs real good in saws and OPE.

It is at all "their" stations, but their stations are only in Upstate NY, none near me.

I think the E free vendors focus more on the Farming communities, where equipment may have fuel in it for long periods of time. Folks who just drive cars generally don't pay any attention, they fill their tanks regularly!

Just like all the Cabela's in NY are further from me than the one in CT, which is over an hour away! It sucks!

srcarr52

Shop rat, backyard slice cutter.
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
They don't publish the octane rating for diesel, but of course it has an octane rating.

The reason it is not important is because all diesels are direct injection, which eliminates pre ignition.

The Cetane rating (burn rate) is more important.

Octane rating is simply the temp it takes to ingnite the ignition. The higher the temp to ignite the charge, the higher the octane rating.

A higher octane rating allows higher compression, which can produce more power.

With direct injection, the detergents in the fuel become one of the most important features.

Direct injectors are exposed to intense heat and are therefore hard to keep clean.

They design of the injector plays a big part in longevity, like VOC vs. SAC, especially with current day low lubricity diesel fuel. GM learned that the hard way with the Duramax and I'm still struggling along with my LB7 and it's 40k mile injectors that are placed under that valve cover because they where supposed to last the lifetime of the vehicle. Pffft!

RI Chevy

Mastermind Approved!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
They solved the issue fairly quickly Shaun. As did Ford with 6.0 injectors. Sorry your having those issues.
Thus I've been using fuel additive since day 1 in my 2006.

srcarr52

Shop rat, backyard slice cutter.
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
They solved the issue fairly quickly Shaun. As did Ford with 6.0 injectors. Sorry your having those issues.
Thus I've been using fuel additive since day 1 in my 2006.

I've been using fuel additives, I put in a lift pump/air separator and I also rarely run the truck on less than 1/4 tank. I've still installed 2 sets of injectors in 60k miles. The first set I installed lasted 35k.

They didn't fix it that quick, they ran the VOC style injector in the LB7 from 2001-2004. They do make a SAC style injector for the LB7, but the last time I replaced the injectors the SAC style was only available in a 45% over, I see now they finally made a stock output so I won't have to retune the truck.

RI Chevy

Mastermind Approved!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Sorry to hear of your injector issues.
What I meant to convey was that GM realized there was issues with LB7s and the injectors. But they took care if the injector issues with newer model engines. My 2006 has been pretty reliable for me personally.

Red97

Mastermind Approved!
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
My lb7 made 296k before making oil.
40k on this set and still going.

But did have trans/t case at 200k and front end complete at 335k.

Will say the 10psi lost in oil pressure, this is prolly the cleanest diesel oil you will see. 5k and still clean.