Another chainsaw dyno...

MustangMike

Mastermind Approved!
Local time
7:30 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Some saws feel just great when you are bucking (crosscut), but then you go to notch your (large hardwood) tree and when you do the 45* cut, the chain stops several times!

What I like about that Asian 660 is I can noodle large Red Oak, White Oak and Sugar Maple rounds and lean on it and it rips right through them. That is what made me think the Hp was higher than it actually was. Having 8 Hp all the way down to 7,500 PRMs likely contributes to what I was feeling.

MustangMike

Mastermind Approved!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Jeff, I have 4 Asian 660s (with work by various folks), 2 OEM 066s (one ported) and a ported Asian Big Bore, and this is my strongest one … so IMO it is not just another 90 cc saw.

I have not seen any stock 066/660/395s that will cut with it. Obviously, there are ported ones that are stronger, and 0thers that are not.

Let's stop the bickering before we piss folks off, you can send your saw to the dyno or we can compete at the next GTG.

Dub11

Saw R skeery
GoldMember
Local time
6:30 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Let’s try to be respectful to people releasing their results. A little ribbing goes with a contest but keep it friendly.
I put 4 peeps on ignore. Cleaned this thread up good.

@Red97
Any chance we could get one of these dyno pulls on video?
I’m sure it’s none too exciting but it would serve to satisfy the senses a bit.
You just wanted to inspect his plumbing on the dyno.

And...

It’s like Christmas morning but no snow so even better
I could use some snow right now, or at least a snow cone FFS!

Just another miserable day outside. 90* with around 75% humidity. Good times
Midwest livin is hard this time of year.

Thankyou @Red97 for your hard work amd dedication and a thank you to everyone that sent their saws in.

dall

Mastermind Approved!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag

Thankyou @Red97 for your hard work amd dedication and a thank you to everyone that sent their saws in.
lol test to see if im one of the 4 lol

huskihl

Muh fingers look really big
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Why not shoot for both qualities in a saw? Is it possible? Model dependent? Not possible? Interested to hear what you guys have to say. :icon_popcorn:
What works on one doesn’t work on the next. Just need to keep poking around trying new things every time until you get what you’re after

TreeLife

I'm Dominick
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag

The ignore button isnt a bad thing

ranchdadmike

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Some saws feel just great when you are bucking (crosscut), but then you go to notch your (large hardwood) tree and when you do the 45* cut, the chain stops several times!

What I like about that Asian 660 is I can noodle large Red Oak, White Oak and Sugar Maple rounds and lean on it and it rips right through them. That is what made me think the Hp was higher than it actually was. Having 8 Hp all the way down to 7,500 PRMs likely contributes to what I was feeling.

Exactly why I like the @drf256 hybrid. That mofo makes 8+ hp from ~7.5k-12.5k, peaked at ~10hp, is reliable as a stocker and weighs in like an o44.

Last edited:

00wyk

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
11:30 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
That’s for sure. I don’t like a lower exhaust on most 70cc and up. They feel tight and held back. I like the 90cc to rev like a stock 50 cc [emoji23]

When I was felling trees in the UK, Oregon and Washington, I liked ported saws that were very high revving.
Now that I do mainly hardwood firewood, I prefer just a bit more torque than stock. I now have to make a LOT more cuts, and having a crazy ported saw screaming while doing it just wrecks my head.